Recovery after surgery?

LeesaKF
on 12/7/12 7:53 am - CT

My parents are planning on coming to help after the surgery, and I'm wondering how long I'll need them here. They live 14 hours away, so it's not like they can just "drop by." How soon until I can drive myself and so forth?

artroxy blue
on 12/7/12 7:59 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I drove after a couple of weeks and a pulled muscle. Usually, your surgeon will recommend two weeks, but I know some folks drove after a few days. Just take it easy--no need to ru**** while you're recovering. kiss

Oxford Comma Hag
on 12/7/12 8:00 am

You can drive as soon as you are off narcotic pain meds. I really didn't need any particular help. I was sleepy for the first couple of weeks, but off pain meds by day four. Your results may vary, though.

Oh, and I had a lap surgery. If yours is open, you may require more recovery time.

good luck

I fight badgers with spoons.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800-273-8255

Suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Bri W.
on 12/7/12 8:00 am - Quincy, IL
RNY on 12/03/12
Depends on how fast you heal...plus be completely off all narcotic pain meds... I had surgery Monday and I still need help with standing up ...but once I'm up I'm OK...guess it also depends if you have pets or kids ...good luck!
Transformation
on 12/7/12 8:08 am - Centennial, CO
RNY on 11/12/12
Hello, I drove after my drain was out which was four days after surgery. ..
HW 331 SW 305    
MultiMom
on 12/7/12 8:18 am - NH

I had 2 teenagers in school when I had mine done and didn't have (or need) anyone during the day while they were gone. They did kinda take care of themselves cooking their own supper and such.

Everyone is different though! If you enjoy their company and they don't mind staying I would say not more than a week.

High 250/Consult Weight 245/Surgery 205/Now 109
Height 5'4.5" BMI 18.4
In maintenance since June 2009

Kelly M.
on 12/7/12 8:29 am - TX

I live by my self, My sis came and took me to Hospital on Monday, I got out on Tues and she left Thursday..I did not drive for two weeks, only due to being scared because no one pays attention when they drive, they are all texting, talking on phone, brushing their teeth, putting on make up, so I did not want to get hit especially right after surgery.Although I drive now and they do the same thing it freaked me out more than just because no one knows if ya just had surgery! My friends dropped by stuff if I needed it.Other than that I could take care of myself just fine...

LadyAnastacia
on 12/7/12 9:08 am
RNY on 11/06/12

I had surgery Tuesday, home Wednesday, off pain meds Thursday, and out and about by Saturday.  Everyone has a different experience though.  Mine was lap RNY.

Jamie-Sue30
on 12/7/12 9:24 am
RNY on 10/24/12

I had a little bit of a rough start. Had surgery Wednesday, discharged Saturday. Went back to the hospital Sunday and was discharged Weds or thurs. I have a 7 and 9(now 10) year old so my mom came and stayed with me for two weeks.  I didn't need much help. Just some with laundry and stuff and she helped a lot with my kids. I enjoyed the company though.  I was nervous after surgery and having her here watching me helped a lot. I drive after about 1.5 weeks or so. :)

apurdie
on 12/7/12 11:10 am - CA

It was two weeks for me and having someone there for you fot two weeks is such a gift!

Most Active