surgery cancelled

scarlettbegonias
on 12/18/12 11:08 am - Australia
RNY on 10/19/12

I'm with kat on this you need to try to speak directly to the surgeon and explain why re.scheduling may not be possible.

good luck!!

Band placed April '08 four years of hell-Band removed may '12~Non VSG July 26 '12. All went to hell~RNY on the 19th october '12~Leak & infection 26th october '12 ~infection 24th November '12, 2 weeks hospital~infection 25th dec '12 4 days ~30/5/13 hernia repair 4 days~hw120/sw/115/gw/58kg

Amanda M.
on 12/18/12 11:19 am
RNY on 01/18/13
I dont want to risk my healing or health by getting surgery before I am better. I am hoping my doc can fit me in before the end of the year still. But if not, I guess I will just wait and see what happens.

nfarris79
on 12/18/12 12:18 pm - Germantown, MD
It sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and the support of a good PCP! It may suck to reschedule but it's a drop in the bucket of time - years from now, when you've successfully maintained health & quality of life, it will have been worth the wait!

First ultra: Stone Mill 50 miler 11/15/14 13:44:38, First Full Marathon: Marine Corps 10/27/13 4:57:11Half Marathon PR 2:04:43 at Shamrock VA Beach Half-Marathon, 12/2/12 First Half-Marathon 2:32:47, 5K PR  Run Under the Lights 5K 27:23 on 11/23/13, 10K PR 52:53 Pike's Peek 10K 4/21/13(1st timed run) Accumen 8K 51:09 10/14/12.

Kat Kat
on 12/18/12 8:46 pm - AZ
I wasn't thinking so much about talking to him about keeping the same date, but rather him working with you on an alternate date (perhaps shifting it fwd by a few days) which might be helpful because you do have special cir****tances which might impact your ability to do this at all. Doctors can be very compasionate and helpful which is why many chose the profession.

Kat
thynnlynn
on 12/18/12 1:45 pm - MI

There are always cancellations, just as yours was, and someone eager to grab that spot!  My surgery was scheduled for 2/25/13 and they had a cancellation and I am now moved up to 1/4, quite the difference.  Be well!

Blessings!

Lynn

Blessings,   Lynn    

Band to RnY - 3/13/13

anna9905
on 12/18/12 8:23 pm - GA

I know this must be hard for you.  My date is set for Dec. 28th.  Being a nurse, I am exposed daily to all kinds of junk!  I just keep praying that I won't get sick before my date. Maybe something sooner will open up for you...people cancel all the time for various reasons!

Cleopatra_Nik
on 12/18/12 9:30 pm - Baltimore, MD

Well firstly, because I know if I don't qualify this I will sound like a complete ***** I'm very sorry this happened to you.

HOWEVER, if 8 days on a liquid diet are what's keeping you from trying again then, yes, you should rethink this whole thing. BELIEVE ME I get it. My insurance put me through the ringer to get to surgery day and at the time I was a truly single mother (I'm always a single mom but their dad was deployed to Iraq at the time) so I get the childcare issues and all the stressors. But if this is something you NEED to do for yourself then 8 days on a special diet will, yes, be a pain but it'd be something you just have to do. And finding care for your kids would be something you just have to do. Because this is something you need for yourself.

If you don't view it that way you might need to do a little soul-searching, chica. I'm not saying you don't have challenges but when you're ready, truly ready, to overcome those challenges you keep pushing. It's ok if you're not ready to keep pushing but don't blame the diet or any other extraneous cir****tances. Own it. You're not read. And that's ok.

I hope the flu passes quickly. Hugs.

RNY Gastric Bypass 1-8-08 350/327/200 (HW/SW/CW). I spend most of my time playing with my food over at Bariatric Foodie - check me out!

missmomof4
on 12/18/12 11:09 pm
RNY on 09/10/12
I agree with Nik! I was thinking the same thing about the diet! I do hope you get better soon!

HW 366 SW 318 CW 299
Amanda M.
on 12/19/12 12:10 am
RNY on 01/18/13
You know, I had been going back and forth about surgery this last week. My mom keeps telling me that I am going to die if I do the surgery and leave my two boys without a mother. She has just been nagging me with all this crap about how I will be so restricted and unhappy and blah blah. Needless to say, when she found out I had to cancel, she had a field day. But I think she helped my mind clear itself. She said, "you need to think about your two boys. You dont want to leave them without a mother..." and I immediately replied, without even thinking, "Exactly! Thats why I want the surgery, I dont want to have a heart attack when I am 30 and leave my kids!"....

The childcare thing really is a big issue. I purposely chose this date, even though I could have been scheduled over a month ago, because my mother has the week of xmas off work. My husband cannot ask any time off to help. And I need the help because I have a special needs child. He is 3 and his brother is 1. They require a lot of energy. I cant even find a daycare that will take him because he has autism. So my child care concern is not an excuse.

I know where you are coming from though. I have been doing some soul searching because I knew I needed to.

BWB
on 12/19/12 8:01 am

There are other kinds of diet...the liver reduction is one that you can follow for months and lose a lot of weight.   I understand your concern with your children but there are ways to get there that may be better.  You don't say how much you need to lose.  Time can be to your advantage.  I don't  think that it is right for your mom to use that scare tactic against you.  At the same time you need to stay calm.  

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 437 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 293 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 337 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 293 views