Anyone out there have a "last meal" right before surgery?

alycat75
on 1/21/13 2:51 am - Indian Trail, NC
RNY on 01/14/13

Not horrible in any way.  Totally normal!!! 

Mine was this delicious fish & chips from a local place.  Doesn't sound all that bad for you, but it's the bacon tartar sauce that makes it.  swimming in malt vinegar, perfectly fried, HUGE piece of fish. 

mmmmmm

Surgery Date:  January 14, 2013

HW:  273   |   SW:  250.9. |   CW:  209.3  |  GW:  150

iisme
on 1/21/13 2:52 am

Yes, it's normal. I think a lot of us do it. What you will be able to eat (or want to eat) after surgery is so different than how you feel and what you desire now. My surgery was 1/8/09 and I required a 2 week pre-op diet. When the nurse saw that 2 weeks prior would be CHRISTMAS she said, "Oh, I can't do that to you!!!"   She told me to start on the 26th.

On Christmas day I had a food fest. I had a bunch of pie, egg nog, my Mom's homemade candies, chocolate moose, prime rib, baked potatoes with loads of butter and sour cream. You get the idea. By the end of the evening I ate so many chocolate peanut butter balls I felt sick to my stomach. At that point I said that I didn't care if I ever ate again.

I woke up on December 26th, satisfied with starting my pre-op diet and kept a good attitude for those 2 weeks. The 25th really was all about me coming to terms with it and was needed for me.

10 pounds loss pre-op
Christine M.
on 1/21/13 3:10 am
VSG on 04/10/13

Since I went for my pre-op consult I feel like every meal I eat is a last meal.  I have quit smoking AND given up the diet soda (which I was drinking wayyyy to much of).  I'm trying day by day to not feel like its my "last meal".  I still have a ways to go, I've only just begun my pre-surgical testing.   I am italian, and the thought of giving up pasta is just horrifying and will be the hardest food "break-up" for me.  I don't think you are abnormal at all.  Food has been a big part of our lives.

RainbowRN
on 1/21/13 3:29 am - OH
RNY on 03/12/13

Chipotle is already on my mind.   I know that I wont be able to have that again for a very long time.  I'm okay with that.  It is my fav but its part of the reason that I got to this point and I will never forget that.  :(

HW: 373 GW: 170 HT: 5'10"

madeformore
on 1/21/13 4:58 am - MN
RNY on 06/21/12

You can have Chipotle after surgery. You'll just enjoy it differently than before. I had it today for lunch in fact!

Amy

HW: 270   SW: 245   CW: 172  GW: 160 then we'll see  

Gilly68
on 1/21/13 3:29 am - Central, IL
RNY on 12/03/12

I thought I would....butGod saved me from myself by giving me the stomach flu the few days before surgery. I lost three lbs!! Good luck!

noonietunes
on 1/21/13 3:36 am
RNY on 01/29/13

I am still waiting for the approval (decision due EOB today) so my tentative surgery date was moved from this Thursday to next Tuesday as Thursday had filled up.  Surgical coordinator is confident of approval as she said I meet the insurance Co.'s criteria, but of course has to wait for approval in order to schedule.

As a result, I have started/stopped the 5 day preop liquid diet now three times, each time I was two days into it.  I start again this Thursday.  I don't want to eat carb-laden foods as I don't want that awful carb withdrawal headache again when I start.  I am having an awful hankering for a grilled eggplant-mozzarella-goat cheese-arugula-roasted pepper panini from a local catering cafe.  I think my second choice would be a sushi roll.

I have noted that while going back to solid food after a couple days of liquid protein, e.g. bacon and eggs, I feel "meh" after eating it. Actually quite nauseous.  I wonder how much of the "meh" feeling after eating after bypass is just the fact that solid food is a shock to any system after a liquid diet, pre or post surgery.

Hollie313
on 1/21/13 3:47 am - MI
RNY on 05/09/12

Sure did.  My family and I had a beer-battered walleye fish fry the week prior.

Surgery: 5/9/12              HW: 302           SW:  287.6        CW:  158

slashes
on 1/21/13 4:08 am

Hell Yes I had many you can see them in my blog post HERE. Of course some say that is a no no, but for me personally t was something I had to do for myself - do I have regrets doing that - nope not at all.  I am 1 year post op on Thursday and I have done great t this point. I say if you feel you need a last meal then do it.

Follow My Gastric Bypass Story
This is where I share it all - The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

RNY: 01-23-2012 Weight day of Surgery - 286lbs ~ Weight as of 09-13-2013 164lbs

Tai M.
on 1/21/13 4:59 am

no

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 432 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 436 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?