alcohol sugar?

rebeccasymolon
on 1/27/13 8:31 am - OR

sf popsicles have alcohol sugar in them i see my dietician tuesday but was wondering if that was ok im a month out? i know she said keep sugars below 10 grams per meal would it be the same for alcohol sugar?

Linzee33
on 1/27/13 8:36 am, edited 1/27/13 8:36 am
RNY on 01/11/13

I'm 16 days post op. I have no sugar added fudgsicles and they have 2g sugar alcohol. My NuT said as long as it wasnt over 5g it was ok.

happygrandma
on 1/27/13 8:49 am - Highland, MI
RNY on 12/17/12

Sugar free popsicles are fine - they gave them to me at the hospital and it's a good way to get liquid in.  Sugar alcohol is different from sugar.  I don't know all the facts but I'm sure someone will jump in and explain.  I bought some sugar free candy and was worried about the sugar alcohol (had read here about people having trouble with it).  My NUT said that I shouldn't have any problem with a couple, just don't go crazy with them.  I don't remember how many grams she said I could have but it was a considerable amount.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/27/13 9:50 am, edited 1/27/13 9:50 am - OH

Yes, I think most people use SF Popsicles during the first weeks post-op to help get liquids in.  I have not heard of anyone reacting badly to them.

The sugar alcohols in artificial sweeteners don't cause dumping syndrome, but can cause significant intestinal distress (usually diarrhea, gas, intestinal cramping) in larger amounts.  I am actually more sensitive to sugar alcohols than sugar.  Unfortunately, you just have to kind of start with small amounts and then slowly increase to larger amounts to find out how many you can tolerate.  Some people aren't bothered by them, at all, though.

Some people are also sensitive to only SOME sugar alcohols.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

bobbirenee
on 1/27/13 10:04 am
RNY on 01/08/13

be careful, sometimes sugar alcohols can cause gas pain.

jorlsu
on 1/27/13 10:13 am - TX
RNY on 12/17/12 with
That's one arena I haven't ventured in to very much: sugar alcohols. I just don't want to find out if I'm sensitive to them or not. I have avoided the dumps since I started, and I do not care to start now. I had a sugar free cupcake on my birthday. It had alcohols in it, I don't know how much. No adverse effects. Honestly, I'm just scared to death of dumping, which means I avoid sugar like the plague when I can.
My nut told me to stay under 10g sugar/alcohols per meal.

BugdocMom
on 1/27/13 2:02 pm - CA

I experience dumping syndrome from all carbohydrates including sugar alcohols. I can't eat sf popsicles:( But, most people can have them with little to no difficulty since there are so few sugar alcohols per pop.

Most Active
Recent Topics