Calcium Supplements and High Death Rate in Women

Megan S.
on 2/13/13 11:46 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Did anyone happen to read this article? I saw it on Yahoo news. Below is a snippet, but I'm wondering what does this mean for us or are we ok because we have issues absorbing calcium anyway?

For the study, published February 13 in the British Medical Journal, a team from Uppsala University in Sweden analyzed self-reported data from 61,443 women over the course of 19 years. During that time, nearly 12,000 women died, the majority from cardiovascular disease.

The highest rates of death, overall, were among women whose calcium intake was higher than 1,400 mg a day (from supplements or a combination of food and supplements, though not from food alone); those women were twice as likely to die than women getting between 600 and 999 mg. But those at the other end of the scale—getting less than 600 mg of calcium a day—also had an increased risk of death.

Dee.spunk
on 2/13/13 11:50 pm - Sacramento, CA
I think Kelly should answer this one, cause shed say it right, but I'm pretty sure this is for women who haven't had their insides rearranged.

Height:5'1.5 RNY:11/30/11 HW:307 SW:234 CW:136 GW:140 (LOST 73 Lbs. PRE-OP)

poet_kelly
on 2/13/13 11:54 pm - OH

I have a post on my blog about this: http://www.gastricbypasscoaching.com/study-links-calcium-sup plements-to-increased-risk-for-heart-attack/

My thoughts are, they didn't control for the type of calcium (carbonate, citrate, etc), they didn't control for the health of the subjects (maybe some had heart problems to begin with) and to my knowledge, none of them were gastric bypass patients that don't absorb much calcium at all from their food.  I don't think the results of this study apply to us at all and I'm not sure they are very useful for anyone since they didn't control for some variables.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Debbie W.
on 2/13/13 11:54 pm
RNY on 12/11/12

I don't know, but my husband had triple bybass surgery two years ago and is only about 10-15 lbs overweight.  He was always told he has too much calcium, on his teeth.  He never took a supplement except for daily vitamin.   

Megan S.
on 2/13/13 11:59 pm - Baltimore, MD
RNY on 03/07/13

Thanks for you input. I read your blog Kelly and I was thinking the same thing..thanks!!

Kim S.
on 2/14/13 12:04 am - Helena, AL

I'm with Kelly on this one.

artroxy blue
on 2/14/13 1:40 am - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I'd like to add that it says the results were self-reported, so there is no way to know the dosage, type of supplements used, how often it was taken, etc. You could have people reporting that they took a certain dosage, but *****ally knows? 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/14/13 4:09 am - OH

I think Kelly has an excellent handle on this.  I wouldn't give it a second thought since it was clearly NOT a well-controlled medical study.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
Recent Topics