Carbs 4 months out

dacia57
on 3/5/13 12:35 pm

I am 4 months out and I am wondering how many carbs a day is normal?

Mary Catherine
on 3/5/13 2:29 pm

There is no advantage to counting carbs at your stage.  Just don't eat rice, bread, potatoes, sugar, noodles, pasta, pastries, cereal, crackers, cookies, candy, etc.  Get most of your nourishment from protein and low carb vegetables.  Cheese, milk, yogurt have carbs, but those are not the things that will hurt you.  Even whole wheat breads and pastas and brown rice are poor choices until you have lost all of your weight and are able to eat small amounts without gaining.  The wheat, rice, potato, sugar carbs will keep you from reaching goal, so cut them out of your life for the next few years.

If you are curious about carbs, then use a program like myfitnesspal to track all your food and see how many carbs you are consuming from healthy choices.

angeleigh
on 3/5/13 8:17 pm - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

I asked this question to my surgeon at my 3 month check up and he told me that I should be having no less then 50 grams of carbs a day. But to try to get them in whole grain form. I do brown rice, every now and again. Whole wheat pasta, veggies, fruits, ect. Everyone will have different answers on this, Some say no carbs, say same limited, some say all in moderation. I personally think of eating healthy. The Nut said your brain needs 50-100 grams of carbs a day to work at its best. Those who do no carbs sometimes have issues with brain function. But that is what I was told, Like i said everyone is different so no right answer. But I wouldnt go carb crazy.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

artroxy blue
on 3/5/13 8:24 pm - MA
RNY on 08/14/12

I didn't have a goal since protein is the big focus. I did incorporate whole grains, some fruits and veggies by that point, though. What are you eating now?

cajungirl
on 3/5/13 10:09 pm

If you focus on protein and low carb veggies and fruit you don't really need to worry about counting carbs.  The carbs from these and dairy should be sufficient and you will maximize your weight loss. 

Proximal RNY Lap - 02/21/05

9 years committed ~  100% EWL and Maintaining

www.dazzlinglashesandbeyond.com

Karen1961
on 3/6/13 2:38 am - Camp Verde, AZ
RNY on 12/31/12

poet_kelly always has a good thing to say about carbs, and how most of us use the words starch and carbs interchangeably.  I'm only 9 weeks out but I plan not to count carbs (at least thats my plan for today!).  I think veggies, low sugar fruit (in small amounts), and the carbs found naturally in beans, yogurt, cheese, etc. is okay.  I think if we keep the starches to a minimum (or for this early to zero) we'll be healthy, happy, and lots thinner!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 326 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 365 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 18 replies · 322 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 15 replies · 116 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?