Bathroom problems?

Camille R.
on 3/24/13 4:13 am - OH

Hello. I haven't been able to go to the bathroom for the past 4 days. Usually it happens every other day. I can tell I'm constipated, and I'm uncomfortable. Is there anything in the household I could use or eat/drink to help it happen? If I have to, I'll get an enema, but as we all know, those aren't very fun.

Also, is there a way to prevent from me getting so constipated?

Thanks for the help!

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/24/13 4:42 am - OH

Getting some additional fiber and fat in your diet is the best way to prevent constipation.  Try getting some Benefiber to mix into a beverage once or twice a day (it is undetectable even in plain water) and adding a bit of healthy fat (full fat cheese or nuts are a good way).

Once you are already constipated, though, it is difficult to solve the problem without something from the pharmacy. Before you resort to an enema (always a last ditch effort, IMO!), try a regular tool softener or even a laxative first.  Lots of people use Miralax or Milk of Magnesia to help once you are constipated.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Rick White
on 3/24/13 5:08 am
RNY on 03/26/12
I just had to take a dose of milk of magnesia Friday. Works in a matter of hours for me. Upping your fat intake and staying fully hydrated helps to avoid the situation.

BarBBi
on 3/24/13 10:00 am
What worked best for me was Restorolax. It's safe to take every day and is flavorless. After two days it worked like a charm and I was constipated for 6 weeks.
Most Active
Recent Topics