4 yr RNY Surgiversary

siberiancat
on 3/26/13 2:08 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Can't believe it's been 4 years.  I feel this surgery was a blessing.  All my co-morbidities gone!  I went into the RNY with the mindset that I was making a permanent life style change and was serious about following the guidelines.

I kept a daily food journal tracking protein, carbs, sugar, oz of fluid for the first 3 years.  I eat healthy - mostly organic, whole veggies & fruit daily.  Most of my protein comes from whey isolate powder or liquid, organic cheese & eggs, greek yogurt and some ground meat, beans and legumes.  I do make my own green juice to help me get more veggies daily.

I have become gluten intolerant (which isn't much of an issue since I don't eat white bread, white flour or pasta) and am reactive hypoglycemic (keep sugar to 15gm or below and always eating sugars with protein and/or fat seems to keep blood sugar stable.  I am not now or ever have been diabetic).

I find I don't need much variety in food choices.  That's just me!  I don't find much enjoyment in food anymore - it see food as nutrition & energy.  I still like chocolate and eat some 60-70% dark chocolate daily.

I was active on the OH RNY board pre-op and for the first 2 1/2 years post op.  I had fleur-de-lis abdominoplasty and brachioplasty two years ago.  OH has been such a support when I needed it.  I need to check the forum more often as I would think - maybe- I could be of help with questions from the perspective being 4 years post-op.  I remain under my goal weight but my weight has been steady since I made goal.

My best wishes to all of you at whatever stage you are in.  Keep reading, researching, tracking, taking your supplements, etc.  For me - it has become my new lifestyle - and I enjoy each day.

Penny

Penny
Highest Weight 255  * Wt loss includes 19 lb lost before surgery

Jilly Bean
on 3/26/13 2:14 am - IN
RNY on 07/09/12

First, congrats on your success!!!  Four years with no regain is awesome!

I still find pleasure in food.  I didn't the first 6 months but I do now, just in small amounts.

Surgery weight:  232 lbs. / Goal: 145 lbs. Height:  5'5"     Fat? Ain't nobody got time for that.

karenp8
on 3/26/13 2:33 am - Brighton, IL

Thanks for checking it. It's great to hear from those who have been successful and are farther out in their journey. I'm sure you have lots of advice you could offer us!

avidreader
on 3/26/13 3:02 am - Cary, NC

Congratulations!! My 5 year surgiversary was on Sunday.

Can you please share your gluten symptoms?  I just had surgery to repair a hernia and thought that would take care of my bloating and constipation issues (and I can not pass gas, either) but it didn't.  Wondering now if it's gluten issues.  I rarely eat bread or pasta but wondering if this could be my problem.  Thanks for responding.

Highest/Surgery/Current/Goal
250/241/139.5/125
I have a new philosophy, I'm only going to dread one day at a time.  Charlie Brown
siberiancat
on 3/26/13 5:03 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

Nausea, bloating, abdominal pain were symptoms.  The doctor did a saliva and stool test and it came back positive for gluten sensitivity.  I was not eating white flour, white bread, pasta anyway but many foods have gluten (wheat, rye, barley).

I take pancreatic enzymes before each meal and read ingredient labels to make sure there is no wheat, rye or barley.  There are many gluten-free products available.  If I do get gluten, unintentionally, I usually have abdominal pain and a lot of gas.

You can try eliminating all gluten from your diet for 2 weeks and see if you feel better.  Then for 2 days eat foods with gluten.  You should know after that if you have a gluten sensitivity.

Hope that helps.  Penny

Penny

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 3/26/13 3:43 am - OH

Good to see you again, Penny!  Happy surgiversary!  Yes, you SHOULD check in more often.  We can always use input from more vets!

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Allen Y.
on 3/26/13 4:33 am - Garland, TX

Congrats!, How do your lab works on your blood come out now? 

siberiancat
on 3/26/13 5:15 am - COLUMBIA CITY, IN

I just had my annual bariatric labs drawn yesterday, but so far the only deficiency has been Vitamin A.  I order Vitamin A supplements from Vitalady.com.  Otherwise I take the national recommended supplement doses for RNY gastric bypass patients.

Penny

Penny

MyLady Heidi
on 3/26/13 5:08 am

Congrats on your success.  The best recipe I can offer anyone for success is create your own plan that you can and will live with and work it, I couldn't eat like you do but I doubt you could eat like I do.  I found the key to success by finally listening to my body instead of fighting it tooth and nail by listening to what I should be doing instead of what my body wanted me to do.  Everyone has a different journey congrats on finding what works for you.

Kim S.
on 3/26/13 6:47 am - Helena, AL

Congratulations on your success.  I remember when you had your surgery-you were right ahead of me!  Please stop by more often.....your positive experience can really help the newbies!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 440 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 395 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 432 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 333 views