I eat too fast!!

Leaky84
on 5/20/13 12:52 am - Canada

So I find myself eating much quicker than I should be. I try to take my time, but 45-60 mins of eating doesn't work well with me. And I try, but I might as well go for a walk around the block, come home take a bite, go for another walk, et****il time is reached. I find I'm done my meals in 15 mins and I'm still in the puréed stage about to transitions into the next in a couple of days. I have no discomfort eating faster than normal, but will this be a downfall for me in the end? Am I going to stretch my pouch? I chew as much as I possibly can until I can't chew anymore. It just seems way too long to be eating... I've done everything else by the book, but taking so much time to eat is just odd, to me. And drinking... I don't sip, I drink like I always have.... 

Ive never had any discomfort as of yet........ Any suggestions for me? 

:)

chulbert
on 5/20/13 1:07 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

In reverse order:

As long as you don't feel any discomfort drinking then it doesn't matter how fast you drink.  Liquids are not going to stretch your pouch or cause a problem.  I don't sip either but neither do I chug a whole glass of water.

45-60 minutes is definitely too slow.  You want to take your time in order to let your body tell you when it's full before you've become over full; however, you don't want to spread it out so long that you're effectively grazing.  That's actually another path to overeating!  15 minutes sounds a wee bit on the short side.  Shoot for 20-30 minutes if you can.

Ocalasam
on 5/20/13 1:11 am
RNY on 12/18/12

You should not be eating for any longer than 20 minutes at a time - or you run the risk or "grazing."  You probably won't feel a lot of discomfort at the puree stage.  You likely will if you eat too fast on solid foods - especially meat.  You will probably be very uncomfortable.  If you can drink like normal - that's fine.  You won't stretch your pouch doing that - you'll probably have an easier time getting your liquids in.

Leaky84
on 5/20/13 2:16 am - Canada

Thanks! But what exactly do you mean my grazing? Is that bad?

chulbert
on 5/20/13 2:45 am - Rochester, NY
RNY on 01/21/13

Grazing means eating very small amounts very frequently or constantly.  If you eat at the same rate your pouch empties then you're never going to feel full.  So you want to eat fast enough that your pouch gets full, but not so fast that it gets full before you realize it and keep eating.  20-30 minutes is a good rule of thumb.

Laura in Texas
on 5/20/13 1:24 am

I've always been a fast eater and it has not negatively affected me.

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Kim S.
on 5/20/13 4:34 am - Helena, AL

Ditto for me Laura!  Since that first bite of food I've chewed well, but eaten fast....always have, always will.  However, I only eat the measured portion, and do not get seconds (actually, I rarely finish what is on the plate still today!).

CosmoK
on 5/20/13 1:27 am

In my book from the bariatric center, They say no less then 20m and no more then 30m... Like someone above said, At that point you would be considered grazing...  When I have 1/4 cup next week at stage 2, I will take 20 or so and I think that is fine

Highest Weight: 468 Pounds, Pre Op Diet Weight: 436 Pounds, Surgery Weight: 423 Pounds

Surgery Date 5-13-13 with Dr Roy Cobean Portland Maine.. Casco Bay Surgeries!!!  Wonderful place!!

Leaky84
on 5/20/13 2:08 am - Canada

Thanks everyone... I guess every Center is different because in my package it said to expect to spend at least 45-60 minutes per meal!!! I just can't imagine eating THAT slow. I think somewhere else in the package (maybe my next stage) it's says to expect to spend at least 60-90 minutes per meal. By the time I'm done breakfast it'll be lunch......then dinner.... Lol. I like food but I don't want to revolve my entire life around it. Haha.

but really, thanks for the input guys! This forum has helped me so much!

Sarahakers11
on 5/20/13 3:37 am - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

How in the world would this work with the 30/30 rule you would never drink!  Unless yours doesn't do the 30/30 rule Either way that seems a lot. I know my plan calls for the 20 - 30 that others have posted.  GOOD LUCK.  let us know how you work it out.

Most Active
Recent Topics