What can be done after gastric bypass wears off?

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 5/28/13 5:37 am - OH

I am afraid that if you don't have the "willpower" (I dislike that word, but cannot think of a better one) to control the cravings for sweets, eating crackers, etc., even if you could magically get the extra weight off, you aren't likely to keep it off.  If you are too "weak" to lose it on your own, you will be too "weak" to maintain it on your own.  I would suggest that you consider counseling to help you understand what may be going on inside your head, learn other ways to deal with stress, and learn how you can change your behaviors so that you can be successful.  There is only so much that the surgery can do. Even the DS (which would be your only revision option) is not fail-proof.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

cookiegirl
on 5/28/13 7:03 am - Staten Island, NY

It is not so much the willpower- it is the defeatest feeling that I have acquired after "dieting" on and off for almost 30 years.  So far, I am two and a half years out and I haven't gained, just haven't lost any more since the calorie malabsorption stopped.  I know I need to be more diligent with what I am grazing on, but I know it would be the same had I been able to get the rest off.  I am basically sedentary, and I think that is more the problem. Thanks for your thoughts. 

Grim_Traveller
on 5/24/13 9:14 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

As others have said, RNY doesn't wear off. And the malabsorptive component is dramatically overstated. Malabsorption is much more significant for vitamins than calories. But your problem is you are eating enough to maintain your current weight, and the only way to take off more is to eat less and exercise more. 

Your statement that you must be eating more than you thought is the heart of the issue. You should start weighing and logging all of your food. I think you would be surprised at how much you are actually eating. And if you can lower that, you will lose weight again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

cookiegirl
on 5/28/13 3:40 am - Staten Island, NY

..."And the malabsorptive component is dramatically overstated" - thank you for your input, and I respectfully disagree with that portion of your comment.  At least in my experience.  You are 100% right about the logistics of the heart of the issue. Thanks.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 488 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 76 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?