Sharp Pains when I breathe??

Momma1991
on 6/15/13 2:05 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

So I went to my doctors yesterday because I was having a hard time. When I breathe, move, sit, stand, anything, I would get sharp stabbing pains near my right side, so my doctor thought since I had recent gall-bladder surgery he was worried about a blood clot in my lung. So he told me to go to the E.R.  and get checked out. So I went in at 6:15pm last night had an x-ray done, some test called a Dimer's test, and a CT Scan with Iodine in it. The Dimer's test came out high for a blood clot, but the CT scan showed no blood clot. I asked why the Dimer's test was high if the CT scan said nothing was wrong.  The E.R. doctor said that it could be because I had recent surgery so that could have made the test high. So they sent me home with a percoset. Left at 3:00am....  But here's the thing, I am still suffering sharp pains when I breathe or do anything... I don't know what to do...

poet_kelly
on 6/15/13 2:10 am - OH

What did the doctor tell you to do?

You can call your doctor if you are concerned.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Strjen
on 6/15/13 4:05 am - Fargo, ND
RNY on 02/22/12

I have thrown a clot to my lung after one of my surgeries. I was not able to lay down at all. I felt like I was being suffocated. I could not get comfortable no matter what I did. When they laid me down to do the CT scan, I was freaking out because I couldn't breath. They had gave me dilaudid before & after my CT scan. If it does not get better or ease up I would be taking my butt back to the ER until they can tell me what the heck is going on. I hope it is not a clot for your sake. I'm hoping you can get some relief soon. Good luck!

Highest weight : 315 lbs, Surgery weight: 298.5 lbs, Current weight: 183.5 lbs

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 6/15/13 5:37 am - OH

Yes, the ER doctor was correct in that recent surgery will almost always cause a high d-dimer result.  The elevated fibrin, which is a protein that is involved in blood clotting and the breaking down of clots, is also created when you have surgery as part of the healing process (just as if you get a cut on your finger).  So unless the d-dimer is extremely elevated, it really doesn't tell them much after a recent surgery.

They seem to have ruled out a pulmonary embolism (the iodine CT and the dimer test combination is the most common protocol for diagnosing PEs), which is the most serious potential issue, but it you are still having pain, you should contact your doctor again or go back to the ER.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 483 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 484 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views
Recent Topics