Surgery Monday--I am so scared!

backformore
on 7/12/13 8:46 am

I haven't posted much because, well, it's taken me an entire year and a half to get to this point and that time has gone soooo slow! We switched insurance, switched surgeons, I was required to lose 20 lbs (ended up losing 40 whoo-hoo!) and had so many roadblocks put in my path it was crazy.

We are finally here. I had a lap band removed February 2012 in prep for this (it never worked right) and am having bypass on Monday.

Because it took so long, and SOOOO many roadblocks were put in my path, it never hit me that surgery would actually happen. Today I got the call telling me what time to check into the hospital, and I have been crying off and on all day. My temper is short, the kids (I have 5 at home) are driving me crazy, and I just want to lock myself into a room until Monday morning! 

Is this normal, this pre-surgery freak out? 

hibbyangel
on 7/12/13 9:14 am - Canada
RNY on 07/17/13

I have my surgery on Wednesday, I havn't started freaking out yet...well not about the fact I'm having surgery. I'm struggling with being on opti-fast for 2 weeks. Its miserable not being able to eat anything even though you physically can. Went through days of headaches and low levels of energy. Short tempered with the kids isn't even the word for it. cool

Everything is starting to feel like its wrapping up though, today was my last day at work, the kids go to summer camp on Sunday afternoon, hubby is on vacation...and only 4 more days of opti-fast WHOO-HOO!

Sadly I don't understand how it feels to have to go though and insurance company. Living in Canada and fitting the "criteria", my hurdles were small compared to some that I have read about. 

Good luck with your journey, you will do great! 

PetHairMagnet
on 7/12/13 9:30 am
RNY on 05/13/13

It was not for my husband and I, we never had any time feeling scared or anxious about the surgery. We were waiting for dates and waiting for the dates to arrive--but never once went AGH! However, in the time I have been here, it certainly does seem normal. It was the first surgery my husband ever had, about my 15th, so we came from very different perspectives. But we were both excited! :)

You will be VERY glad to have this underway and you will wake up with a big ol' smile on your face!

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Lunyknight
on 7/12/13 9:38 am - corona, CA

I had surgery on Tuesday. I was confident and solid in my decision (had a few freak outs before the surgery but this forum calmed me down).  I was fine while waiting in the hospital all set up and ready to go. When the surgical nurse and anesthesiologist came to talk to me I broke down in tears. They looked at me like I had gone mad. I was so scared and excited all at once. They gave me something to calm down and off we went.  

I have been totally and completely fine since the surgery. I came home last night and other than some tightness in my abdomen and some gas pain.

Lean on those around you for support, but know that you have everything you need inside you. You will do great and even though it is scary you are taking the steps necessary to take your life back.  You can do this!!

~Lysa

RNY July 9, 2013

Mimisocks
on 7/12/13 9:46 am - PA
RNY on 07/08/13

LunyKnight:

I agree with you; don't sweat the small stuff, backformore.  Monday will be here before you know it and hopefully a calmness and acceptance that you are making the best decision for you will overtake any last minute jitters.  All the best to you for a successful and stress-free surgery!  Welcome to the Loser's Bench!

Believe in yourself and don't ever stop dreaming!

Dorkgirl_41
on 7/12/13 1:27 pm - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

You're totally normal. I had my surgery on Tuesday. Last week at work I had a mini meltdown. From then on I wasn't really talkative with anyone, including family. I wasn't upset, just nervous and that's how I dealt with it. Was calm in the preop room waiting for the anesthesiologist and surgeon to come talk to me. However, when  I laid down on the OR table (my facility makes you walk to the OR) I started crying. My surgeon, bless her heart, held my hand the rest of the time until I was knocked out. You're going to be fine!

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

backformore
on 7/12/13 2:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the support! Hibbyangel, you and I are almost the exact same weight, within 2 lbs!, and are having surgery only 2 days apart--too cool!

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has been through this. When we changed insurance, I had to stop going to the support group I had been in--it was for those with that insurance only. It may be time for a new group, this is more emotional that I thought it would be.

JennLyric
on 7/12/13 10:55 pm

I was a WRECK before my surgery in June 2012.  I could barely form sentences and felt incredibly alone.  I had my Lapband removed at the same time I did my RNY.  I'm a little over a year out and very happy I did it.  But boy oh boy, I remember how frightened I was.  It's NORMAL!!!  Just keep reading these boards and avoid any horror stories.  For every horror story there are hundreds of happy campers.  And, keep in mind that people often post only when they're having an issue, so keep imagining all of the people going about their happy, healthy post-op lives who have no need to post because they're out and about.

Have a happy, healthy surgery and remember that all of your feelings are perfectly normal.

Jennifer

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 501 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 514 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 347 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 380 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 90 views