Did someone stay with you at the hospital?

kinny09
on 8/21/13 11:49 pm - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13
We have an almost 3 year old at home and two dogs so it wasn't possible. DH rotated visiting me with my mother for several hours at a time. It sucked at night because the nurses were very unresponsive and careless on that shift for whatever reason. Examples being buzzing them to come disconne t me so I could get up to pee for over an hour, or being with an empty fluid bag, or a random bleeding bruise on my leg (I didn't know what it was I just told them I was bleeding, took 5 calls to get someone). My surgeon is one of the top in the country in bariatrics but my hospital stay was awful (I slept in a broken chair the first day and night because my bed was broken and they failed to replace it). In the future I would hire a private nurse to help out...I think people's experience varies in the hospital but its nice having someone to advocate for you and help you. The floor I was on was almost empty that week so there was no excuse in my case (complete with nurses talking about personal things at their stations, ignoring patients).

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

BelieveInFaith
on 8/21/13 11:57 pm - NJ
RNY on 08/08/13

No one stayed with me.  My bf, gma and mother were there the day of surgery and left in the evening.  The hospital was over an hour and a half from them so I told everyone I didn't want them there.  But the next two days my bf was back and spent most of the day with me before leaving.  I constantly had drs, nurses, techs and whatnot coming in and out ALL the time so there was no need to have even more people in the room.  However, as soon as I got home everyone was here to see me.  I laid here out of it but I could feel the love!

Never accept NO for an answer.

poet_kelly
on 8/22/13 12:34 am - OH

The hospital will probably allow as many visitors as you want.  If you are sharing a room, they may want to  limit the number of people there at one time. 

My partner stayed all day with me and another friend and my mother visited briefly.  No one stayed overnight.

Hospitals will usually allow a visitor overnight if you have a private room.  They often have a chair that folds out into a bed or will bring in a cot.

I didn't feel I needed someone there overnight, though.  The nurses were helpful enough. I slept a lot even while I had visitors.  I wasn't very entertaining.  LOL

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

PetHairMagnet
on 8/22/13 1:39 am
RNY on 05/13/13
I stayed with my husband and he stayed with me. We were there one night each. I would NOT have wanted a single guest...I wanted to sleep, walk and just be quiet.

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

NewDayForTrixie
on 8/22/13 4:35 am

My husband dropped by each day, but i was not good company.  

With the nurses going in and out all day and night, I was hardly alone and it wasn't really peaceful (and I didn't feel great).

I'd suggest having as many people as possible wait until you are settled at home to visit.   

Dorkgirl_41
on 8/22/13 8:16 am - CA
RNY on 07/10/13

I didn't want any visitors because I knew I'd either be sleeping or walking, and would most certainly look like hell! haha

However, I did want my husband to be there the day of surgery because I was scared. So he brought me in the morning of surgery and stayed until early evening to make sure I was doing fine. My boys are 23 and 20 and I gave them the choice of being there or not during surgery and they both chose not to go since I had convinced them I would be just fine. I was discharged the next day so DH came from his work to get me. I was lucky enough that I had plenty of attention from the nursing staff in the night if I needed anything.

Start Wt: 355   Surgery Wt: 331   Current Wt: 253 Goal Wt: 175  Had RNY on 7/10/13

My blog about my journey - Up From Under

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 8/22/13 9:08 am - OH

I have never had someone stay with me at my bedside constantly or even overnight after any surgery (and I have had quite a few), and I honestly don;t understand the point of it.  I have, however, been extremely annoyed by sharing a semi-private room with a roommate who wanted to have someone stay with them.  I shouldn't have to be subjected to someone else's family after visiting hours (even without my PTSD, I would object, and I have insisted on having either the family member be asked to leave or having one of us being moved to a different room.).  If you want an overnight visitor, get a private room.

You will be alternating between sleeping and walking for the short time you are there, and I cannot personally imagine asking anyone to stay there and watch me sleep off and on all day!  The nurses at my hospital were sufficient for anything I needed.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

BWB
on 8/22/13 10:36 am

My son was there to keep my husband from freaking out but after surgery I just slept for what seemed forever.  On the second day needed my husband's help to walk but I wasn't feeling very frisky.  Neighbors did drop in and I was exhausted but didn't want to offend them so just kept smiling.  The second night I could have used someone to quiet the nursing staff.  Other than that I would say no to visitors.  It is a nerve racking time.  I agree with someone else regarding private or shared room.  My surgery was at a newer hospital so I had a private room.  

VintageChick
on 8/22/13 10:55 am

My husband had a hotel near the hospital, but was with me except just to sleep. I was very sick and very weak and he had to help with so much personal hygiene that I'm not sure how he can even want to continue intimate relations with me!!!! I did not want family or friends otherwise. After complication**** my grown sons wanted to visit. I told them I'd prefer not, and we are a very close little family. I truly just wanted to rest. Not everyone has problems, and most likely you won't, so you may enjoy family and friends visiting. We live over an hour from the hospital where I had my surgery. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

bneill38
on 8/22/13 12:45 pm
My surgery was 8/13/2013 and my mom stayed with me. Cause the floor i was on was full and nurses werent always fast about helping me. So they had a recliner chair shed sleep in that and woke and helped as needed.
Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 289 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 280 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 144 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 211 views