diet soda after weight loss surgery

Momma1991
on 9/15/13 7:53 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

i am craving a soda right now (i know bad idea) but I was wondering if anyone has tried a diet soda poured into a cup and stirred around a bit to let some of the carbonation out?? I am 5 months out....  I am craving a soda..... and  know it would have to be diet..... has anyone tried it?

poet_kelly
on 9/15/13 8:00 am - OH

I haven't tried soda stirred around a bit, but I've had diet soda.  The carbonation doesn't bother me.  It causes discomfort (sometimes a lot of discomfort) for some people, and doesn't bother some people at all.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Momma1991
on 9/15/13 8:04 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

Awesome 

I wanna try it to see if it works with me and plus im craving it haha

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/15/13 8:05 am - OH

I did not try any soda until after six months out as suggested by my surgeon.  Some people only wait 2 or 3 months, though.  Lots of people still drink diet soda post-op.  Some people don't because the carbonation makes them uncomfortable, but most people find that pouring it over ice or otherwise minimizing the carbonation a bit is sufficient.  If you decide to try it, try small sips first.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Mrs_Stimpy
on 9/15/13 8:40 am
RNY on 12/20/12

I drink one diet soda a day.  I've been told not to, but I still do - and I don't have any bad effects.  I know I'm bad...

Good luck to all of us on our journeys! 

Highest - 222 / Pre-Surgery - 215 / Goal 150

poet_kelly
on 9/15/13 8:59 am - OH

Why do you think you're bad?  Because someone told you not to drink diet soda and you choose to drink one a day anyway?  I don't think that makes you bad.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

NDHM
on 9/15/13 10:19 am
I drink one most days and have since just over 4 months out. I've not had a problem with it at all.
TurnThePage
on 9/15/13 10:20 am

Do you really want to start by bending one rule? 

Lots of people on here have written about their addictions to diet soda, some postponing surgery because they can't figure out how to live with out their coke or pepsi.  Do you really want to go there?

A recent study showed that a large part of the attraction of diet sodas is the acid flavoring, more so than the carbonation. You can get that with orange juice or something healthy instead.

The good thing about cravings is that they pass--especially if you get busy doing something else you like.

poet_kelly
on 9/15/13 10:33 am - OH

I'd rather have a diet soda with no calories than an orange juice with calories, for the most part.

I'm not addicted to soda. though.  I can easily live without it.  I don't see a problem with having one once in a while, just like I don't see a problem with having an alcoholic beverage once in a while, since I'm not an alcoholic.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/15/13 10:55 am - OH

It is not as if people have to choose between diet soda and surgery. MANY people still drink diet soda post-op (once the pouch has healed)! Some have it just very occasionally; others drink it daily. 

As Kelly said, I would much prefer to have a daily diet cola with no calories, sugar, or carbs than to have orange juice with 110 calories and 26g of carbs (for pure squeezed... others can be higher) every day.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 482 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 481 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 325 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 356 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 69 views
Recent Topics