How do I get 65g of Protien in on a Full liquid diet???

Roo33
on 9/19/13 3:40 am - OH

Im a little over a week post op and just moved to fulls tyesterday. Last night I plan my meals for today and just now realized Im short 25g of protien. 

breakfast-cream of wheat

snack-4oz protien shake

lunch-1/2 cup cottage cheese

snack-protien shake

dinner- 2oz cream of chicken soup

snack-protien shake

Im also finding tht I can barely make myself get down the food I have to chew. (cottage cheese) Would it be terriable if I just did all protien  shakes untill this gets better. I have no desire to eat yet but the shakes taste good and are packed with protien?

Anybody? I just dont know....

jamienichols22
on 9/19/13 3:44 am - MI

I haven't had the surgery yet but this was a question I ask my NUT and she said that I could add another shake to comp what I didn't get in my fulls. My suggestion is to add another protein shake to your plan and that should put you inside the guidelines 

Jamie Nichols

HW:321    CW:263   GW:125 

I am a tiger who is earning her stripes!! 

Lisa O.
on 9/19/13 3:44 am - Snoqualmie, WA

I haven't had RNY surgery yet, but I know my surgeon requires 3 weeks of liquids only so Protein shakes are pretty much the base of the diet.  You could also try the Unjury chicken broth.  You can also buy the unflavored unjury powder and add it to pretty much anything (like cottage cheese).  The only thing is if you add it to something hot make sure the temp is under 130 degrees for it will clump. 

Best, 

Lisa O.

Lap Band surgery Nov. 2008, SW 335. Lost 116 lbs.  LB removal May 2013 gained 53 lbs. Revisied to RNY October 14, 2013, new SW 275.

Day_dream_believer
on 9/19/13 3:46 am

How do you make your protein shakes?  If you add milk you will get a little more protein.  You can also replace the cream of wheat with something higher in protein or add a little unflavored protein powder to it.

ToNewBeginnings
on 9/19/13 3:47 am

You meant full fluids correct? Cottage cheese isn't a fluid.

I don't know your guidelines, I was instructed to drink protein shakes for the first couple of weeks myself.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/19/13 8:10 am - OH

No, cottage cheese isn't a liquid, but neither is pudding, oatmeal, or mashed potatoes, yet many surgeons seem to include these items of a "full liquid" diet.  The pudding I can sort of understand, but the others...?

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Roo33
on 9/19/13 3:52 am - OH

yes full liquids. Food looks good, but I just start eating and im ready to be done. 

kinny09
on 9/19/13 3:54 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13
You can add protein powder into your foods (unflavored and vanilla work best), a 1/2 scoop or something to each meal.

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

(deactivated member)
on 9/19/13 3:59 am - NV

are you making your own shakes or buying premade?? i use whey protein that is 25g a scoop  i get it from walmart its called Pure Protein and its $20.00 a container... i only mix with water so i dont  get the extra fat and calories from milk.. ..i drink 2-3 shakes a day giving me 100-150 grams protien 

does your surgeon have you on soft food that soon after surgery?? like mentioned above normally its 2-3 weeks before moving to pureed foods then soft foods... you may be jumping the gun a bit because you are still in EAT mode... let your mind and body retrain...

btw i havent had my revision done yet but thats what i learned when i had LapBand done...

kinny09
on 9/19/13 4:05 am - New York, NY
RNY on 06/11/13
That's not entirely true, many of us start puréed from the get go and never have a liquid only phase post op, was the case for me. Everyone's team is different..

HW: 306         Day of Surgery: 299         Current Weight: 172

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 468 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 477 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 319 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 354 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 64 views