Still in severe pain even after E.R. visit

Momma1991
on 11/28/13 8:48 am - Hamilton, NJ
RNY on 04/08/13

So I started getting these pains in my stomach about a week ago. Thought it was just gas.  Took some gas x and some tylenol and it would go away but come back hours later. So the past 4 days I have been having these constant severe stomach pains like I am being stabbed again and again. I have tried my protonix, gas x, pepcid, zofran, hot tea, hot showers, heating pads, and other things. I have lost my appitate and started getting vomity.  It hurts to eat or drink anything. Walking kills me. So I went to the E.R.  and they did a CAT-Scan and the doctor said that it was gastritis and to keep taking my zofran and pepcid....  I am in severe pain and movement hurts. I can't deal with this pain anymore..... What can I do?

poet_kelly
on 11/28/13 8:55 am - OH

You can call your surgeon and ask for advice.  The ER doc may be right, it may be gastritis.  But I would want a second opinion, not just about the diagnosis, but about treatment.  Of course, it may not be anything related to your RNY.  You can also make an appointment with your PCP or a gastroenterologist.  But I think I would start by calling your surgeon.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

VintageChick
on 11/28/13 9:04 am

I'd make an appointment with my surgeon or gastroenterologist ASAP if I were you.  It sounds like you've tried several remedies in addition to the ED, and you've already tried what I'd've recommended. Eat bland foods if you can manage to get something down. So sorry you're in awful pain. 

lap RNY 5-15-13

Stacy Sikes
on 11/28/13 2:51 pm - OR

I am sorry you are in such pain. I have not had surgery yet (that is Monday) But my surgeons office told me straight out to call them (even after hours they have answering service) when there is something going on before going to ER (unless life threating) because normally the ER people do not always know how to diagnosis issues with people who have had WLS.  So I agree with what someone else said. Call your surgeons office. It could be just gas pains, but it could be something serious.

Hope you feel better soon.

RNY on 12/2/13 with Emma Patterson,    Highest  Weight: 352 ; . Surgery Day: 334

Another Fatone
on 11/28/13 8:31 pm - inglis, FL
RNY on 08/28/13

Are your bowels moving?

5' 11" 73 year old Male

Started 314 Now 200

Beware the Statistics Quoters

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 11/28/13 9:20 pm - OH

Call your surgeons office TODAY.  You should not have to endure such extreme pain without knowing exactly what it is.  "Gastritis" is a kind of BS diagnosis used when the ER doesn't know exactly what is happening, but they have eliminated anything life threatening.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Bibo
on 11/28/13 11:08 pm

You might need an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer or gall stones. Are you taking a PPI? My doc prescribed me to take protonix twice a day and I was doing that and i still developed an ulver...they can prescribe carafate or something similar to coat the stomach if that is the case. Normally these don't show up on a CT as well as if a person was scoped. Main thing is to stay hydrated till you can reach your doc...water, popsicles, jello...broth, pudding....sugar free....but push the liquids or else you can have two problems...hope you feel better.

mzlaura
on 11/29/13 2:37 pm - Litchfield, NH
RNY on 03/05/13
On November 29, 2013 at 7:08 AM Pacific Time, Bibo wrote:

You might need an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer or gall stones. Are you taking a PPI? My doc prescribed me to take protonix twice a day and I was doing that and i still developed an ulver...they can prescribe carafate or something similar to coat the stomach if that is the case. Normally these don't show up on a CT as well as if a person was scoped. Main thing is to stay hydrated till you can reach your doc...water, popsicles, jello...broth, pudding....sugar free....but push the liquids or else you can have two problems...hope you feel better.

Yup, i have been diagnosed with "gastritis" since April. Pain went away a few months after antacids and carafate.It recently started up again horrible pain. The first endoscopy did prove mild gastritis back in April. Had another endoscopy last month after the pain has been worse than ever and that one showed a ulcer. Get it checked out!

HW: 401  SW: 297  CW: 200.8
RNY gastric bypass surgery on March 5th, 2013

alyssak1013
on 11/30/13 7:11 am - CO

I have been battling a lot of pain and nausea for the past couple months.  It's been in my upper stomach like where the diaphragm is.  I have been in and out of the ER a few times and been admitted to the hospital.  I noticed I started having bloody stools and that's what got me admitted. What was determined and this may help you too, was that where they reconnect the intestine to the pouch it's not used to being in direct contact with the stomach acid and that can cause it to get extremely irritated, which can cause the blood I noticed but also just a lot of pain until it adapts.  I was told there is nothing that can be done or no way to prove that's what it is, just that it is fairly common and that once it gets used to the acid it will get better.  I also am taking the pepcid and some ulcer medicine too just to keep the stomach acid as low as possible until it resolves itself.  I am still in a new part of surgery though, not quite 3 months post op so that is part of it too.  Best of luck, hope they get you fixed up.

Alyssa

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 484 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 485 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 326 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 357 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 70 views