Zip lining ultimate goal and I can't bring myself to do it. :(

MyLady Heidi
on 1/5/14 5:48 pm

I was happy to hear she got engaged on that same trip, she's not MO anymore, she is normal now and needs to face herself in the mirror and stop seeing her former body.  Yeah get over feeling fat and live and enjoy. If I could overcome my fear of heights I could do many things, but it is a real fear, I passed out in a line at Disney World trying to overcome it for my son.  I hate being petrified of heights, it is very limiting and if the fear didn't cause me to Literally pass the **** out, I might keep trying to overcome it.

AnchorsAweigh
on 12/28/13 7:40 am

Hey, I say celebrate that you got halfway up the tower. Would you have done that at your starting weight? A new body image takes time and it won't happen overnight. Kudos to you for how far you've come!!!

(deactivated member)
on 12/28/13 7:55 am, edited 12/28/13 7:58 am

Please hold your head high.Enjoy the last night.Let it go.This isn't who you are anymore.Next time think about why you wanted to do this.I have a kayak and everyone says to me oh you will use it when you lose weight.There is no way I am getting into it,I am afraid of water and drowning.There are a lot of things I am scared of but not because of my weight.You need to take baby steps.We have not done anything bu****ch for years.So how could you not panic and think like this?I think if you have a therapist it might be a good thing to make an appointment to discuss this issue you are having.It does make you feel better.I just looked at your pictures you look great.You have worked too hard to look back,Look to the future.

Jules0225
on 12/29/13 2:10 am

Thanks for the kind words. I am definitely going to call my therapist tomorrow. I thought we had worked through these issues but it all came flooding back. I think I am going to post some new pictures when I get home tonight. We took quite a few in the last two weeks. It's a new year in a couple days. I'm going to focus on that. I think that should help some. Again, thank you. Happy New Year.

Height: 5'8", HW: 6/4/12 440lbs, SW: 11/19/12 389lbs, CW: 219lbs 01/01/2014

Jen Lyn
on 12/28/13 8:01 am
RNY on 11/11/13

Hello. I have ziplined whle obese.  The worst part is climbing the stairs up to the tower.  I used to bend over choking, struggling to breathe.  taking my inhaler before and during helped.

i would consider going back to the zipline place and asking if you could do it tomorrow.  They might let you try again. :-)

Jules0225
on 12/28/13 8:42 am

Thank you all so much for the kind words and support. I appreciate it more  than you know. 

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 12/28/13 8:46 am - OH

I'm sorry it has been such a difficult day for you.  I would suggest that you consider counseling, not so much because of the fear of climbing the ladder, or even because your brain still sees you as over 400 pounds (that is VERY dommon, and it can take a couple of years to get your brain to catch up), but because of your statement that "I still loathe myself as much if not more than before" (although counseling can all's help with the body image issue, fear, etc.).  I can "hear" the deep pain in that statement.

Surgery doesn't address the emotional and psychological issues that contributed to our obesity OR the psych issues that are a result of years of being obese.  That is work that you still have to do, and a mental health professional can help you deal with those demons and get to a place where you can like/love yourself.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Jules0225
on 12/28/13 7:41 pm

Thank you Lora. I agree. Tomorrow morning I'm going to call my psychologist. I really thought we had worked through this issue but it came back in full force yesterday. I have mentioned this feeling in the past to those I am close to but no one seemed to actually understand the pain associated with it. In fact, on many occasions my mother and I fought like cats and dogs over it because she would basically tell me to get over it.

Anyway, it's a new day. I'm sitting in the airport waiting on my flight. I can't wait to be home with my kitties. I miss them terribly.

Watson
on 12/28/13 9:05 am
VSG on 06/08/10 with

So sorry that you didn't go zip lining. I know what that's like, I saw myself that way too as I myself couldn't bring myself in doing the zip line. I know I'll do it one of these days. I have a goal to do a zip line once I have both of my hips done and my right knee done. One thing I was able to do is to fly to Arizona via airplane and vacation in Arizona and I did it and ere I thought I was not going to fit in the seats in the airplane I was around the wait I and at now 175.5 pounds about 1 year and 8 months ago. Once I sat in the seat and put the seat belt on and took of in the plane and I was in disbelief that I was able to do this and I'll be going back to Arizona next Saturday. If I can do this and get past what I see in the mirror (at times I still see myself on the big side), but I have to remind myself that I'm not like that any longer. My heaviest weight was 565 pounds, I have lost 390 pounds overall and lost 300.9 pounds from my pre-op weight of 476.4 pounds (two weeks before surgery). I do have a fear of heights, but since I did the airplane I know I'll be able to bring myself to do the zip line. I'm a new person, I'm more than half the man I use to be. Since I did the airplane and at some point I'll the zip line, I can do anything. I just have to remind myself that I'm not the way I was before I had the weight loss surgery, I'm a whole new person just like you. I now living my life now the best way I can. You have done such a great job yourself (I applaud you) you too can do anything. There is thing I haven't done since I was a kid and there is things I haven't done in life that I like to do. Both of us are in the same boat one way or another. At this point in my life I'm trying to live life to the fullest now and you can do the same. I wish you all the best in making it to your goals and enjoying life. If you wish to, you can add me to you friend list.

Highest Weight: 565 pounds (around 1999), Highest BMI: 94

Pre-op Weight: 476.40 pounds (2 weeks before {05/25/2010} VSG surgery), Pre-op BMI: 79.3

Lowest Weight: 153.5 pounds (as of 07/10/2013), Lowest BMI: 25.5

Current Weight: 350.75546 pounds (351 lb 0 oz./159.1 kilograms (as of 04/22/2019), Current BMI: 58.3

Jules0225
on 12/29/13 2:14 am

Thank you. I must admit being able to comfortably fly does make me really happy. Kudos to you for losing so much weight. That's so awesome!! I'm just going to try to focus on the new year coming up in a few days as well as revisit these issues with my therapist. Thanks so much for your support. I appreciate it so much.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 490 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 490 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 330 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 361 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 79 views