body lift , Medicare and Medicaid

browneyes65
on 1/5/14 7:45 am - IN

I know I will have a lot of loose skin and I mean a lot with my height and weight so I just wanted to know if Medicare and Medicaid pay for it if it is medically  necessary. I will have rashes everywhere.

poet_kelly
on 1/5/14 7:52 am - OH

They probably will if it's medically necessary.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 8:21 am - OH

I would think that they, like most other (non-taxpayer funded) insurance policies will only cover removal of the pannus (the apron of skin on the lower belly), not a full body lift. I cannot imagine having enough skin all the way around your body to have enough trouble with rashes such that a full body lift would be medically necessary.  I have never heard of that, anyway.  

Even my insurance covered ony the panniculecmy, and didn't cover an arm lift despite medical records and photographic evidence that I was nicking the skin in my armpit when shaving all that extra, crepe-like skim, and the nicks were occasionally getting infected (in addition to rashes in the arm pit).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

browneyes65
on 1/5/14 10:51 am - IN

I will have a lot of skin because I'm 4'11 and 275lbs. Some people are taller so that helps. I will have to do some research in Indiana. Thanks

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 1/5/14 10:52 am - OH

I am under 5'4" and was over 330 pounds.

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

browneyes65
on 1/5/14 11:04 am - IN

I will see how it all goes and go from there. Thanks

WestTexasMother
on 1/5/14 8:42 am - San Angelo, TX

around stomach only if medically necessary is what my MIL was told.

PetHairMagnet
on 1/5/14 11:24 am
RNY on 05/13/13
On January 5, 2014 at 3:45 PM Pacific Time, browneyes65 wrote:

I know I will have a lot of loose skin and I mean a lot with my height and weight so I just wanted to know if Medicare and Medicaid pay for it if it is medically  necessary. I will have rashes everywhere.

I find it a little concerning that you are already planning on having rashes everywhere. Plan on NOT having rashes and you might be very surprised on how well you do. I am down over 145 lbs and have not had a single rash. 

HW333--SW 289--GW of 160 5' 11" woman.  I only know the way I know & when you ask for input/advice, you'll get the way I've been successful through my surgeon & nutritionist. Please consult your surgeon & nutritionist for how to do it their way.  Biggest regret? Not doing this 10 years ago! Every day is better than the day before...and it was a pretty great day!

Day_dream_believer
on 1/5/14 12:09 pm

agree...it depends on many factors.  I have lost 160 pounds and don't have rashes and probably won't have plastic surgery.  I would love it, but there is not a medical reason for me to have it.

robyn_fresh
on 1/6/14 7:08 am
RNY on 12/18/12

I have lost 143 and have not had a rash problem. I was 414 lbs at 5'7". I do want a body lift, but goal is still a ways away.

Most Active
Recent Topics