Yogurt HELP! Too much SUGAR!

melissa_musicjunkie
on 1/12/14 1:23 am
RNY on 08/01/13

So, I've been eating the Chobani 0% Greek Yogurt for awhile...why the heck did I not realize that the amount of sugar in it is way too much?!? Maybe the "All Natural" on the label. Ugh!! Anyway, can someone help me with a good low-sugar brand? I really like yogurt and the 14+ grams of protein really helps me reach my protein goals. I just cannot keep doing that much sugar!

Melissa - RNY 8/1/13 :)

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 1:28 am - OH

I use plain Greek yogurt and then flavor it however I like.  The only sugar in it is the lactose in the milk.  If you want flavored yogurt, though, Carbmaster at Kroger is low in sugar.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

QoftheU
on 1/12/14 2:04 am - Bay Area/Silicon Valley, CA
Revision on 12/18/13
Hey Kelly - what do you flavor it with? I just realized the same thing - after I bought 8 of them. And seeing as I've lost 2 pounds in about 12 days I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Leslie - Band Revision to RNY - best thing ever!   HW: 234   SW: 222  CW: Ticker  GW: 130

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 2:08 am - OH

Different things.

Sugar free syrups, like the kind you can put in protein shakes.  Sometimes I use raspberry syrup and than add some fresh or frozen raspberries, or peach syrup and then add some diced canned peaches.

Sugar free pudding mix.  If you mix in cheesecake flavored pudding mix, it really tastes like cheesecake.  I like to top that with no sugar added cherry pie filling.  Or, the other day I mixed in banana flavored pudding mix and then added some chopped walnuts and chocolate chips.  Tasted like Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey ice cream.

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

melissa_musicjunkie
on 1/12/14 2:27 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Mmm, yum. I will be trying some of these for sure! Thanks!

SkinnyScientist
on 1/12/14 5:11 am

You have the best ideas! I wish I would have known this a week earlier before I bought the flat of chobiani light yogurt.

Another question. Isnt yogurt a "slider food"  My nut/surgeon wants us to eat dense protein/foods after week 8.  So, would yogurt be transitioned out?

It is ok if you cant answer this. I see my doc/nut next week.

Thank you

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

poet_kelly
on 1/12/14 5:13 am - OH

It is a slider food, yes.  Less so if you put stuff in it.  Like, if it has nuts and fruit in it, that chunky stuff makes it thicker and less slider-y.  Your doctor or nutritionist might recommend not eating yogurt for that reason.  I eat it because I like it and Greek yogurt does have a lot of protein.  I am just aware when I eat it that it's not going to keep me full as long as some other foods would.

MyLady Heidi
on 1/12/14 1:32 am

Dannon makes a sweetened with splenda greek with 7 grams of sugar.  Our you could buy the unsweetened and and fruit and splenda.

sw12
on 1/12/14 2:01 am

I'm all about the Dannon Light and Fit Greek Yogurt. Key Lime is my favorite but Raspberry is really good. Also, the Yoplait 100 Calorie greek yogurt is good also, but has less protein than the light and fit. Personally, I hate Chobani (always have) so I have never tried that one. 

melissa_musicjunkie
on 1/12/14 2:27 am
RNY on 08/01/13

Ok, awesome, thanks! I just read something bad about Chobani and gmos or something anyway.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 487 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 488 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 328 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 358 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 5 replies · 74 views