had to go to the emergency last week

browneyes65
on 2/9/14 7:10 am - IN

Last week I was having alot of pain in between my breast area and I had pain when i tried to eat and when I took pills they felt like they were stuck in my chest area for hours and the pain was terrible, then i vomited. I called my Dr and they told me to go to the emergency and I did  and they said i had a narrowing in my esophahagus that was to small and i still had some of my pill stuck. They called my surgeon to explain to her what they found. I could not get in for a few days and could not have any vitamins. My surgeon is 3 hours away. The procedure I had was called EGJ Esophagogastrojejunostomy. They  used a endoscopy and used a balloon to make the opening a little bigger because  it was so small. I was told scar tissue forms when healing. I was told I might have to come back if I'm still having problems. I think I might have to because I feel discomfort in my chest area still, I have been trying to crush some pills but I also need to see if I can swallow them because I did before this happened. I should be able to eat better without discomfot and drinking  liquids and taking my pills. I guess they have to make it a little bigger a little at a time or there could be a rip. Has anyone had this problem ? have you had the procedure more than once ?

poet_kelly
on 2/9/14 7:17 am - OH

The narrowing was in your esophagus?  Not your stoma, between your pouch and small intestine  I don't think a narrow esophagus would be related to your RNY.  When you have RNY, they don't do anything to your esophagus (that's the "food pipe" in your throat that food goes down to reach your pouch).  Scar tissue can form in the stoma, because that's where they cut your stomach and attach your small intestine to the pouch.  That's known as a stricture and about 3% of RNY patients develop one.  But i don't think a narrow esophagus is a problem related to RNY.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

browneyes65
on 2/9/14 7:20 am - IN

it was probably the stoma, i got mixed up, the paper says Stenosis dialated to 12mm.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/9/14 10:24 am - OH

Yep, that's the stoma.

Some people have to have more than one dilation, so that's no reason to worry.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

browneyes65
on 2/9/14 11:30 am - IN

I asked why they can't make it a little bigger because they gave me pictures and it doesn't look much larger, they can only do a little at a time because it might rip and if that happens I don't know what they will do.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 2/9/14 11:09 pm - OH

Yes.  I just wanted to be sure you knew that it is quite normal to have to have the rocedure done multiple times.  Some people don't get told that and then worry about why it didn't "work" the first time.

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

kittiekittyy
on 2/9/14 9:37 am - OH
RNY on 12/10/13 with

I had to have my stoma stretch on Tuesday (Feb. 4). I had been having trouble keeping foods down (I'm on puree stage) and had figured that since my pouch isn't very old that I was just doing something wrong. The Saturday before the procedure on Tuesday I ended up at the E.R. after calling the surgeon about not being able to keep water down. The E.R. assumed I had a bug and sent me home after 2 bags of IV fluids. Follow up over the phone with my surgeon's assistant brought to my attention that a stricture was likely my issue. Went in Tuesday for the EGD and got the stricture stretched a bit. Will go again in the next week to have it stretched again since it was tight. I already feel a lot better and am able to eat full liquids again. I won't try puree again until after I see the surgeon again. 

poet_kelly
on 2/9/14 10:11 am - OH

Well, I hope you feel better now.  Some people do need to have strictures dilated more than once.  For some, once is all it takes, while others need it done twice or more.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com          Kelly

Please note: I AM NOT A DOCTOR.  If you want medical advice, talk to your doctor.  Whatever I post, there is probably some surgeon or other health care provider somewhere that disagrees with me.  If you want to know what your surgeon thinks, then ask him or her.    Check out my blog.

Cunning_Pam
on 2/9/14 11:02 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Yes, I'm having the same problem. I've already had one dilation after not being able to keep any food or fluids down. My surgeon said my stoma was down to 3 millimeters, which is VERY small. I have to go back in two weeks because they can only stretch it so much at a time, otherwise there's a risk of tearing or rupture. I felt immediately better, though, and I'm sure that after the next dilation I'll be fine. Even if I have to go back for more, it's a simple procedure and over very quickly.

I hope you are doing better now. Good luck!

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

browneyes65
on 2/9/14 11:46 am - IN

I had it done Friday, but was told to call Monday if I'm still having problems and I still do but I hope they wait at least a week because I don't want a rip. Did they tell you what they do if you rip ? I will put pics on from my procedure tell me what you think.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 362 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 332 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 196 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 4 replies · 117 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 0 replies · 5 views
Recent Topics