What's on the menu today, RNYers?

Cunning_Pam
on 5/1/14 11:18 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Morning, Anny! Sounds like you did really well at the bar, kudos to you! As far as fish goes, try starting with a firm fleshed white fish. Tilapia is a great "beginners" fi****'s got a very mild flavor, good texture, and is widely available . The big secret to fish is to not overcook it, because then it just turns tough and nasty. If you'd like to try something yummy, here's my baked tilapia recipe:

• Two tilapia fillets, about 6 ounces each
  • Two tablespoons butter
  • One tablespoon dried parsley
  • One tablespoon lemon zest
  • 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs (can omit if you don't want the carbs, I originally used 1/2 cup in the recipe for 7 grams of carbs per serving)
  • 1/8 teaspoon white pepper (just a little, in other words)
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt (can omit if you're watching sodium)

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray (I like to add a sheet of aluminum foil first to make cleanup easy.) Lay the fish fillets on the prepared pan. Melt the butter, then add all the other ingredients. Stir until everything is combined and divide this mixture in half, then spread one half on each of the fish fillets. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, or until flaky and cooked through. Make a little tartar sauce with Greek yogurt, and yummers!

I'll have to try those turkey sausage crumbles. I'd seen the package in the supermarket, they look super convenient.

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

AnnyBananny
on 5/2/14 12:56 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Thanks for the recipe, Pam, I have to admit it looks good. I'm going to eat on my turkey meatballs for a few days and then maybe I'll try the tilapia - it makes me nervous though! Cooking fish - eeek!

Def try the crumbles, very convenient and yummy. Don't know if I'll be able to eat them all before they go bad since it's just me, but oh well.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

NDHM
on 5/1/14 11:23 pm

Okay....This Nectar Lemon Tea: I have tried their Roadside Lemonade, but I found it to have too much protein flavor & smell.  Is the tea the same?

AnnyBananny
on 5/2/14 12:55 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

I don't think so at all. It's the only protein shake I tolerate right now. I really like the Lemon Tea, refreshing and not too sweet. I do drink it out of a water bottle with a small opening, out of habit, but I don't find the smell to be too strong like some of the other flavors. 

The Roadside Lemonade I had to mix in one of those Crystal Light lemonade packets to make it more tart and keep the smell down. 

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Kimberly K.
on 5/2/14 9:29 am
RNY on 03/21/14

So glad you liked, Anny! Turkey Ricotta meat balls....now that sounds really good! Going to have to try that version. I'm loving those crumbles, too.

Kim K.    

JJ0609
on 5/1/14 11:03 pm, edited 5/1/14 11:04 pm

I went off schedule yesterday, too Pam. I had an extra protein bar and two packs of 100 calorie almonds. I was not satisfied all day. I feel like this is a confessional sometimes. LOL!  I am glad you are showing some progress on the scale again. I did not gain or lose so I am pleased. Pam have you tried the pouches of salmon and adding lemon pepper seasoning or garlic pepper to taste? It would be an inexpensive and convenient way of trying salmon. Just a thought!

Anny, Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage Crumbles and the Turkey Meatballs sound scrumptious! I hope the meatballs are good! Let us know as we all are always looking for other ways to get in good protein and great tasting filling foods!

Everyone have a good day! Get outside and enjoy the sunshine. I have already gotten my walk in and thinking about taking another one later on. LOL!  

8 am Breakfast Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Sweet 'n Low - Artificial Sweetner, 4 pkt. (g) 0 2 0 0 0 2  
Coffeemate Coffee Creamer - Powdered Nondairy Creamer, 6 tsp 60 2 1 0 0 0  
Folgers - Coffee, 12 oz 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Dannon - Light & Fit Greek Yogurt, 5.3 oz 80 8 0 12 45 7  
140 12 1 12 45 9  
11:30am Lunch
Lean Pocket - Pretzel Bread Chicken Jalapeño Cheddar, 1 piece 270 35 8 13 700 2  
270 35 8 13 700 2  
2:30pm Snack
Edamame - Nature's Harvest Dry Roasted With Sea Salt, 30 gms-1/4 cup-per package info. 150 16 5 11 190 0  
150 16 5 11 190 0  
5:30pm Dinner
Black Angus - New York Strip Steak, 3 oz 210 0 14 17 41 0  
Pictsweet Stir Fry - 3 Pepper Fajita Vegetables, 1 cup 40 8 0 0 220 4  
Questbar - Protein Bar - Double Chocolate Chunk, 60 g 160 25 6 20 250 1  
410 33 20 37 511 5  
Vitamins
Equate - Complete Multivitamin Women 50+, 2 pill 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Rexall - Ferrous Sulfate Iron 28mg, 2 tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Rexall - Vitamin C 500 Mg With Rose Hips, 1 Tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Citracal - Calcium Citrate +D3 Petites, 2 tablets 0 0 0 0 5 0  
Feosol - Carbonyl Iron Tablet, 1 caplet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Rexall - Magnesium 500 Mg, 1 Tablet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Rexall - Potassium 99 Mg, 1 caplet 0 0 0 0 0 0  
0 0 0 0 5 0  

Totals 970 96 34 73 1,451 16  
Your Daily Goal 1,105 138 36 55 2,300 50  
Remaining 135 42 2 -18 849 34  
  Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Cunning_Pam
on 5/1/14 11:21 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Hi Sara! Good point on the packaged salmon, I'll have to give it a try. I'll need to doctor it up a bit before trying it, I'm sure, but a prepared packet sounds like an easier way to get started than a fillet or steak I have to prepare (and can possibly botch!)

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

karenp8
on 5/1/14 11:05 pm - Brighton, IL

Pam I love fish now too and so does my pouch. I used to hate all kinds,in fact the smell alone made me feel sick. You may develop a taste for salmon too eventually if you try it different ways. I have a busy weekend planned as I am moving my youngest son out of his college dorm and home on Saturday and moving my oldest and his girlfriend from an upstairs apartment in Jacksonville to a new apartment in Springfield ll. So here's today. B 1/2c steel cut oats with sunflower seeds and 1/2 banana with peanut butter L leftover meat and green beans from eating out last night S whole grain crackers with peanut butter D 31/2 oz fish and 1/2:c sweet potatoes S 3/4 c Greek yogurt. On track with vitamins and liquids at this early stage of the game. For exercise I will head down momentarily to do 2.2 miles or thirty minutes on the treadmill and 20 minutes on the bike too. Have a great Friday everyone!

Cunning_Pam
on 5/1/14 11:25 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Karen, sounds like you don't have to worry about a gym this weekend with all that moving! Congrats on getting your son through college, getting out into the "real world" is such a huge step for them.

I think I'll keep working on the salmon. Fun fact: My pain-in-the-ass, hoity toity, nouveau riche mother-in-law pronounces the "L" in salmon. It makes me snicker every time!  

Daisydoo02
on 5/1/14 11:36 pm - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Hi Pam!! Good morning Sara, Anny, Karen, Em, Kimberly, Candy, Liviann, and all the other regular menu posters!!  Happy Friday INDEED! I do have a busy weekend planned.  Tonight I am on my own, hubby is going out for dinner with work friends. Tomorrow is both our cars going to the Mechanic for oil changes and change from winter tires to summer tires, while that is happening we will walk over to Costco (its right beside the Mechanic) and "window" shop while until the cars are finished.  Then taking the dogs to a conservation area for a hike (and probably a swim there is a gorgeous creek there they love to play in).  Sat night is date night with hubby, going to Sushi place and a movie after. Sunday is the usual, clean, laundry, hike the dogs and going to my new favourite consignment shop as I need some new clothes again!  I need some new bras, I just bought new ones about a 4-6 weeks ago and I have to go down a size again, bummer cuz I really like these ones!!  

Pam it's hard when the hubby's have to work so much, mine is a work-a-holic and often works weekends and I hate it but the needs of the business come first, I mean we need his pay check!! So I get it!  You could clean out some closets, tidy your basement, clean out your garage, do some yard work, browse the local library, grab your favourite book and hit the local Starbucks and have a cup of tea or coffee and sit in those awesome leather chairs Starbucks have and people watch! I do that often!!  Mmmmmmm on the Mexican place.  I am right there with you on not being able to resits the tortilla chips!!  But YAY on the scale moving down a pound, you are doing some thing right!! Keep it up!!  I love fish!! I mostly eat baked or grilled salmon, its is an acquired taste.  If you don't like it there are so man other great fish types out there that will be good protein. I see you eat shrimp and shrimp are fantastic for protein. What about scallops, muscles, clams?  Swordfish (yummmm) Mackerel, Pickerel?  Lots of options!  I wouldn't push the salmon, if its not for you that's ok.

Just wanted to share with you all my day yesterday.  I didn't post as I was at a conference all day (6:30am - 4:30pm and got home at 9pm - long day!!!) and although the conference was great let me tell you about the food and the attention I got from co workers!  There was about 265 people there, I know pretty much all of them, so 200+ of them know the Obese me and it has been a year since last year's conference and since they have seen me so having lost 90+ pounds it was like I was some side show freak and people were hugging me and congratulating me and saying I look amazing and I had one lady beg me for my "secret" to the weight loss.  I mean people were grabbing my arm and practically yelling "OMG LOOK AT YOU, YOU LOOK AMAZING!!!"  I was overwhelmed.  This happened over and over all day long!!!   I really don't like to be the centre of attention or being centred out.  I really had a hard time with the compliments... now that is a weird statement, because who would not want to get compliments BUT I am so used to being the fat girl in the corner that no one looks at, no one acknowledges, no one cares about.  This was just too much attention.  I knew it was coming, I tried to prepare myself but it was too much.  I think only time will help me get used to the comments.  The food was a disaster (for a WLS person).  The breakfast was coffee or tea and mini muffins.  So I had coffee and a babybel cheese that I had in my purse.  Lunch was two kinds of salad, a spinach salad and a green bean salad and various deli meat sandwiches like chicken, turkey, roast beef.  So I had both salads, and only a tiny bit as they were both dripping in creamy dressings and I don't really like deli meat, or I should say my pouch is not a fan of deli meat so I try to avoid it. So I did take a turkey sandwich and threw out the bread and ate the deli meat like a roll up.  I drank a TON of water, there was nothing else to eat or drink so that's a good thing!  The afternoon break food was more coffee/tea and brownies and nanimo bars.  REALLY!!! So I had another babybel cheese and some almonds (thanks SARA for the tips because I packed them in my purse the night before and they were perfect!!!).  It was really eye opening that venues like this are not prepared for the new generation of WLS people and our special dietary needs.  Thank god for being able to pack protein snacks in my purse!!

Wanted to share a couple of personal NSVs: was able to stand in HIGH HEELS all day long at the conference and not want to die from back/knee/ankle pain.  At the conference was able to sit at a table with about 10 people and eat my lunch mindfully, engage in conversation, taking small bites, chewing a ton and put my fork down in-between bites. Also waited my 45 mins after eating before drinking.  Even though there was a lot of distractions I was able to stick to the rules.  The attire was "business casual" and I have a pair of black dressy jeans that look like slacks was able to wear them for the first time and I felt very stylish and did not have to wear a huge plus size outfit and feel so frumpy!! Wore my stunning diamond engagement ring and diamond wedding band (they are very special and precious to me) all day and was so proud to be able to wear them again (they have NOT FIT for the last 14 years and have sat in a safety deposit box).  Just a few meaningful things to me 

Time since surgery: 6 months TODAY!!

Vitamins: AM done, alarms set for PM calcium and vit D

Exercise: walk at lunch hour today and leaving work early today at 1pm so taking the dogs for a jog when I get home.  Will do some bicep curls with my 5lb weights and some crunches before bed tonight

Water: so far 24 oz and going strong

Stats: 699 calories  13 carbs  114 protein

Have an awesome Friday friends!!

Daisy 

Breakfast - 6am Calories Carbs Fat Protein Sodium Sugar
Splenda - Packet, 1 Packets 0 1 0 0 0 1  
Silk - Pure Almond Milk Unsweetened Original, 1 cup 35 1 3 1 160 0  
Drink - Coffee - Small Black, 1 cup 0 0 0 0 0 0  
Syntrax Matrix - Mint Chocolate Chip Protein Shake, 1.5 scoop 210 9 4 35 195 5  

Lunch - 11am
Romaine - Chopped Lettuce-jt, 0.25 cup (47g) 2 1 0 0 1 0  
Meat - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 3.5 oz cooked 128 0 3 24 29 0  

Snack # 2 - 3pm
Mini Baby Bel - Swiss Cheese, 2 unit 120 0 10 10 220 0  

Dinner - 6pm
Meat - Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast, 3 oz cooked 110 0 2 21 25 0  
Romaine - Chopped Romaine, 0.5 cups 4 1 0 0 1 0  

Snack #3 - 8pm
Syntrax Nectar - Lemon Tea, 1 full package 90 0 0 23 60 0  

Totals 699 13 22 114 691 6

Daisy 5'5" HW: 290 SW: 254 CW: 120

Nov 15, 2013: RNY - Toronto Western Hospital, Nov 2, 2017: Gallbladder removal & hernia repair

Sept 7, 2023: three +1 hernia's repaired in bowel

10+ years post op, living & loving life!

Most Active
Recent Topics