What's on the menu today, RNYers?

JJ0609
on 5/1/14 11:48 pm

Daisy, I am so happy for you. I know you felt uncomfortable! I remember how I felt when I returned to work from a leave. It was like you were on display. But in a very small way it felt good, to be recognized for the successful weight loss. Get used to it. It will be like this until people get used to seeing you. The next phase is people not recognizing you at all because you do not look like the same person and they will have no idea who you are, you will have to introduce yourself to people you have known for years. LOL!  I am very excited about your NSVs! Wearing your wedding and engagement rings after 14 years of not being able to is wonderful news. You go girl! Love, Sara   

“Let someone love you just the way you are – as flawed as you might be, as unattractive as you sometimes feel, and as unaccomplished as you think you are. To believe that you must hide all the parts of you that are broken, out of fear that someone else is incapable of loving what is less than perfect, is to believe that sunlight is incapable of entering a broken window and illuminating a dark room.”― Marc Hack

Ht:5'4 SW:268 CW:127.2 GW:125 RNY 06/09 Stomach/colon revision 11/13  

Daisydoo02
on 5/2/14 7:40 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Sara for your reply.  You hit the nail on the head with your statement of "it was like you were on display", that is exactly how I felt, so glad you "get it". Yes nice to be recognized for my hard work and sticking to plan but hearing it from 200 some odd people was a bit much.  And guess what I went to a clothing store today after work and I was looking at some blouses and a girl walked in to the store and I thought OMG that is my friend Desiree, well she looked me right in the eye and walked right past. So I yelled out "Desiree" and she spun around, looked at me again, really looked at me and then goes "OMG Daisy I just walked right by you!" She is the wife of my husband's college room-mate so I have known her 10+ years and she has only known me as obese, have not seen her in about 5 years.  She totally did not even recognize me, that was weird, weird, weird!!  Thank you for celebrating my NSVs with me, being able to wear my rings again is so special to me, thanks Sara 

Cunning_Pam
on 5/1/14 11:51 pm
RNY on 12/18/13

Daisy! Missed you yesterday while you were at the conference. I'm glad to hear it went well for you despite the craptastic food choices and the overwhelming attention. You did great with the food, though...what a wonderful lesson in how much of a difference being prepared makes! And a great endorsement for those mini Baby Bels, too. Convenient, purse-able emergency snacks, what's not to love?

About the attention, I can so relate to your discomfort. Luckily I haven't had the same situation where so many people at one time have seen my weight loss. I think if I had been in the same situation that you were I would have just curled up in a fetal position in the corner, though! You handled it like a champ, however. Good on ya! I totally get what you're saying about being the "fat girl in the corner". But those days are coming to a close for us, right? And dealing with that is just another part of this whole process.

Thanks for the recommends on the seafood ideas and options for the weekend. I have TONS of things I can do around the house, but I'm just not the housework type. Scratch that: I HATE housework with a passion. However, I may be able to convince myself to get some things done on the basis of it being good exercise!  

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

Daisydoo02
on 5/2/14 8:03 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Pam I actually missed being on here yesterday!  This post and you all are my new addiction (a good addiction) LOL  Without all the help and support of my menu friends I think I would have not been as successful yesterday!  And yes I guess I do talk a lot about the mini babybels HA HA HA  I just love them!! And they are very purse, car, bike, pocket friendly!!  

I did at one point want to curl up in a ball in the corner and just yell "ENOUGH" stop asking me questions, stop commenting on my weight loss, stop congratulating me, stop, stop, stop.  If it had of been 10 people I would not have even bothered to post about it but it was like 200 some odd people.  Glad you "Get" what I mean when I say "fat girl in the corner", truly pre surgery it was like I was invisible, now the way people interact with me is a total 180 degree change.  Still getting used to that as well.

Pam let me just say TESTIFY GIRL on the HATING housework!  I DESPISE IT, but at least now when I am busting my back cleaning I don't practically pass out from the sweat and heat of moving that fat body around.  Now I convince myself its exercise and just get er done!!

This morning I was complaining that the scale has not moved for me and you know what my hubby said, he goes "can you lift one of the dogs" I said "no are you mad, I will hurt my back or something" (one dog weights 75 lbs and one weighs 85 lbs) and he goes well you have lost 90+pounds and you carried that around with you every day for the last 10+ years so you should be able to pick up one of the dogs easy." He said you need to give yourself credit where credit is due, 90+ lbs in 6 months is awesome so smile and hold your head high cuz you are doing an awesome job and forget about the scale, it will move!!   Yes I have the best most romantic, sweet hubby out there. But it really put in perspective for me that I can't lift one of my dogs how the frig did I exist with all this extra weight on me. I bet you are all nodding your heads and agreeing how did you do it with all your extra weight.  KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK EVERYONE!!

Cunning_Pam
on 5/2/14 10:41 am
RNY on 12/18/13

Aww, your hubby is awesome! And, he's totally right! I recently had to carry a couple of boxes of litter downstairs, and they weigh 43 pounds apiece. I picked one up by the handle in each hand, and couldn't believe what a struggle it was to go down the stairs with them. Then I thought about it...holy hells, I used to carry MORE than that much extra just on my own body in addition to the weight of the two boxes!! I was amazed, and had to just wonder, how did I even *move* before I'd lost the weight?

It's weird, the people commenting thing. For me it's very much a feeling of being on display, like Sara said. I know people think it's being supportive, and I do love that they notice. But the over effusive, continuous commenting in the astounded tone...it gets to be too much. I spent years in fear of people commenting on my body and my looks because more often than not it was not positive, and now even though I'm getting positive comments it triggers so much of that old emotion to hear it. I totally get it when you say you want to yell at them to stop. It feels like I'm a sideshow freak sometimes, and it's so surprising because I thought I would enjoy ALL the attention. Sometimes not so much, though, apparently. I suppose it will become easier in time, and eventually no one who meets me will have known me from before, but meanwhile it's tough to deal with sometimes.

And you keep up the GREAT work yourself! 

Surgery: RNY on 12/18/2013 with Jay M. Snow, MD            "Don't mistake my kindness for weakness." - Robert Herjavec, quoting Al Capone

AnnyBananny
on 5/2/14 1:04 am - PA
RNY on 03/18/14

Daisy! What a day - it sounds like you handled things masterfully, great job sticking to your plan and celebrating so many NSVs! AND congratulations on your 6 month surg-iversary !

Your endorsement of the Babybel has me adding it to my shopping list - I love string cheese, but the Babybel would be a nice change.

RNY @ Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia with Dr. Tatyan Clark 3/18/2014

Daisydoo02
on 5/2/14 8:07 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Anny for your reply and could not have done so well yesterday without all you gals helping me and cheering me on.  

Thanks for helping me celebrate my 6 months surg-iversary!!  Can't believe 6 mos has already gone by, wow how time flies!!

Ya I am a bit of a babybel freak!  I find the string cheese does not taste as good at room temp, I love it cold and the hard texture right from the fridge.  And for me the babybel stay pretty firm even out of the fridge hence why I eat two a day!!!  Yes do put it on your shopping list!!  ENJOY!!

karenp8
on 5/2/14 3:11 am - Brighton, IL

Congratulations Daisy on all those NSVs! It sounds like you made the best of the bad food choices. I still occasionally have to reintroduce myself to people who haven't seen me since I lost 140 pounds. One person took a picture of me to show her husband who also knows me,because she said he would never believe it! I had to laugh! It gets easier as people get used to the new you. 

Daisydoo02
on 5/2/14 8:23 am - GTA, Ontario, Canada
RNY on 11/15/13

Thank you Karen for your reply!  I did my best with a crappy situation!  Thanks to all you menu poster gals for your help and guidance!!  

Oh that is really funny that your one friend insisted on taking a picture to show her hubby!  Think about it, you have lost 140 lbs, that's the weight of a whole entire person, no wonder you look like a shadow of your former self and have to reintroduce yourself, wow that's wild!!.  I am so proud of you and I can't wait to get to 100 - 120 pounds lost!  You are an inspiration Karen!  And so glad to hear that it does get better as people get to know the "new" me.  

Thanks so much for your words of advise!!! 

Dodgergirl27
on 5/2/14 3:15 am
RNY on 01/22/14

Good Morning Everyone,

Daisy congrats on the NSV!  Those are huge.  Pam, yes I agree 100%, fish sits WAAAAY better in my pouch than any other protein.  I find myself eating fish at least 4x's a week now and when I go out with friends I try to talk them into places that I know serve fish.  

I've had a very busy work week....I honestly feel like I haven't come up for air all week. What I missed most was this post!  

Time since surgery: 3 months 1 week

B - Premier Protein

S - Starbucks Skinny Vanilla Latte (I haven't had a Starbucks in forever)

L - Didn't plan well so I'm going to try a pure protein bar I threw in my purse for emergencies (I haven't tried them yet so hopefully they are decent.  21 grams of protein, so that's decent)

D - Last Ratatouille Meatloaf (love these, but I'm sick of them after having them for dinner all week)

Totals: 666 Cals (I hope that's not a bad omen for this menu), Carbs- 57 (higher than usual); Protein - 78

V - Forgot my morning vits will need to catch up when I get home

E - Going to try a zumba class later

W - On track

Have a great weekend everyone!

Most Active
Recent Topics