Greek yogurt makes me feel lousy...

cspotrun
on 7/27/14 3:26 am
RNY on 07/01/14

It's a big part of my plan, the light, non fat greek yogurt.  Low in sugar, high in protein. I measure out 1/3 cup and eat it, but every time I feel like death after.  I don't know if it's dumping or RH or what, but I am lightheaded, nauseous, and just want to lie down.  I'll be seeing my NUT on Thursday, but honestly she isn't really very helpful.  My plan calls for one of these yogurts everyday, but I don't think I can do it anymore.  My sister's wedding is tomorrow, and I need to get my daughter some shoes, but I can't even lift my head off the pillow right now.  I know it will pass.  Just venting and looking for some advice.  Thanks!

Karen   

Caroline K.
on 7/27/14 5:07 am

Hm. Does other dairy affect you? I was under the impression yogurt & cheese didn't have much lactose compared to milk, so I wouldn't have thought it'd be lactose intolerance, but I guess it's possible. Are there any other ingredients in there you could be reacting to? Too many sugars have that effect on me, but you say it's low sugar. Are there sugar alcohols in it, maybe?

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

cspotrun
on 7/27/14 6:58 am
RNY on 07/01/14

I don't think it's a lactose thing.  I have lactose issues, but different symptoms.  For the whole container, there are 12 g protein, and 7 g sugar.  Doesn't mention sugar alcohol.  I eat only half the container.  Maybe it's still too much sugar?  There is also sucralose in it.  Could that be causing my insulin to react?  I'm not diabetic.  I really have no idea.  

Karen   

angeleigh
on 7/27/14 10:39 am - angier, NC
RNY on 09/17/12

Try a different brand. Might just be something that is in that brand, and maybe try eating 1/4 of it instead of 1/2 at a time. You might be eating to much and just feeling really full. I know I had a hard time with yogurt for the first 3 weeks it was just to heavy feeling in my pouch. But now i can only really eat the Yoplait Greek 100 in Strawberry Banana, and even then sometimes it leaves a very heavy feeling in my pouch at almost 2 years post op.

Follow me on Pinterest!  SW/254 HW/276 CW/142  

Pictures: Pre-op, 1 year post op, 2 years post op.

cspotrun
on 7/27/14 11:01 am
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks, I'll definitely try that.  I was measuring 1/3 cup because that's what my plan calls for.  I can eat 1/3 cup of other foods, but maybe greek yogurt is too heavy.  I'll try 1/4 cup and a different brand.

Karen   

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/27/14 10:20 pm

I found out thast I am allergic to dairy. So no yogurt for me.

It may cause you BS to raise too fast.   Even when I use to eat them - the fat free version was no go - too many sugars. But for the same calories - 1/2 cup 2% or 1/4 full fat Greek yogurt was great. 

If it makes you feel bad - DON'T eat it/

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

cspotrun
on 7/27/14 11:27 pm
RNY on 07/01/14

Thanks. Maybe the ones with more fat is the way to go. I bought the brand my plan called for specifically but I'm sure if it makes me sick they wouldn't want me eating it. Yesterday I subbed cottage cheese and it was much better. 

Karen   

White Dove
on 7/28/14 12:37 am - Warren, OH

To quote Hala:  "If it makes you feel bad - DON'T eat it"

When I had surgery in 2007, nobody knew about Greek Yogurt.  A year later, I read about this great protein called Greek Yogurt and drove 50 miles to a Greek market to try it.  I loved it, but did not make that long drive very often.  Now it is in every grocery store. 

You can tell your NUT that it makes you sick and I am sure there will be no problem substituting cottage cheese, ricotta, regular yogurt or a protein shake.  You two goals are getting in enough protein and feeling good.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

april89love
on 7/28/14 1:18 am - NC

Yogurt did that to me early out. It got better over time. Try smaller servings. Milk products have a lot of natural sugar in them. Drinking milk still does this to me. Also, try a higher fat yogurt, it may help.

Sandy

HW 225, SW 219, GW 140, CW 124

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me!  

Miss Liss
on 7/28/14 6:06 am

I experience dumping syndrome when I eat yogurt or try to drink milk or milk based products.  I can eat cheese with no problems at all.  It's just yogurts (any kind) and milk.  I do better with Lactaid but still not great.  So, I have had to accept that even though I like yogurt and love milk, they neither one like me too well.  LOL.  If I do have a little yogurt or milk, I have to make sure it is eaten along with a really dense protein.  It tends to give me a tummy ache too so I don't consume it often.  I developed an intolerance to it after surgery.  Luckily, there are many other things to eat in it's place.  Enjoy your sister's wedding. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 267 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 316 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 332 views