Re-classification of Vicodin and Tramadol pain meds (Xpost)

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/22/14 1:10 am - OH

This may be of particular relevance to anyone who is pre-op, planning to have RNY, and who suffers from arthritis or other conditions for which they take NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen (OTC drugs like Aleve and  Motrin) or prescription anti-inflammatory (e.g., Celebrex) or pain meds.

Effective last month, the FDA re-classified both Vicodin and Tramadol on the drug control schedules in order to more closely control them and cut down on abuse.  Vicodin is now a Schedule II narcotic just like  Morphine, and Tramadol is now a Schedule IV drug).  This means that doctors are likely going to be much less likely to prescribe them for pain for patients who cannot take NSAIDs.

I would have been completely miserable without the Tramadol and Vicodin for the severe arthritis in my knees (which was helped surprisingly little by losing 290 pounds)!  I would have been forced to have my knees replaced several years before I was ready.

So, for those who are considering RNY and currently take pain meds or anti-inflammatories, you may want to take this into consideration when making your final decision about surgery, and may want to give more serious consideration the VSG or DS which don't carry the prohibition on NSAIDs because of the risk of ulcers in the blind remnant stomach (since there IS no remnant stomach).

Lora

14 years out; 190 pounds lost, 165 pound loss maintained

You don't drown by falling in the water. You drown by staying there.

Professor Sonja!!!!
on 9/22/14 1:48 pm - Miami, FL
RNY on 08/15/12

This makes me sad :(.  My PCP prescribes me 25 Tramadol every couple of months (I don't know why he picked that number) because my knees have been aching a lot lately.  I take it a couple of times a week when I just can't take the pain anymore. 

Come keep it real in R&R 3.0 Want an invite? PM me here.

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/24/14 7:21 am - OH

Yeah, it was taking it like Tic Tacs before I added the Vicodin to it before I replaced my knees.

If doctors are reluctant to prescribe it, I'm not sure what people are supposed to do if they have arthritis and cannot take NSAIDs.

i just know there is going to be a day when the arthritis in my back requires more than the Tramadol. I fear I will be screwed. :(

SkinnyScientist
on 9/23/14 2:55 am

Good Post!

Sometimes, I wonder how much of reclassification is due to societial (sp) pressures.

It totally stinks that those of us who follow the rules, and have other outstanding issues, are impacted by the few that choose to not use the medication as prescribed.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/23/14 3:50 am - OH

I agree.  My PCP and I would probably have come under some kind of scrutiny because, between the mystery abdominal pain I had and the pain in my knees, it took Vicodin almost weekly for 3 years!

he is willing to prescribe a limited amount of Tramadol for me since he does NOT want me taking NSAIDs (RNY and blood thinner is a double whammy with NSAIDs) for arthritis pain and general occasional issues, so I hope that doesn't cause any problems.

I am a bit apprehensive about what will happen when the arthritis in my back gets worse, since it is already MUCH more noticeable now that I have new knees and am more active.

Loveymae
on 9/23/14 4:02 pm

This worries me also. I take  tramadol daily for pain and wonder what will happen now because of this reclassification. Bad knees and spinal stenosis can be painful! 

SW: 307    

Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 9/24/14 7:22 am - OH

Hopefully enough doctors will trust their patients who have legitimate pain issues...

unrulyjulie
on 10/10/14 7:17 pm
RNY on 09/29/14

I was lucky enough to DC from hospital as the changes became effective.  My surgeons office didn't have the correct script pads to now write for Vicodin as they never prescribed anything stronger, I went home with Tylenol 3.  What a nightmare that was. I didn't think the pain would be that bad but the Tylenol 3 did not help at all.

Paul C.
on 10/13/14 9:35 pm - Cumming, GA

Love me some Robaxin and Lortab.  Although this week isn't doing much...

Paul C.
First 5K 9/27/20 46:32 - 11 weeks post op  (PR 28:55 8/15/11)
First 10K 7/04/2011 1:03      
      First 15K 9/18/2011 1:37
First Half Marathon 10/02/2011 2:27:44 (
PR 2:24:35)   
First Half Ironman 9/30/12 7:32:04
Cicerogirl, The PhD
Version

on 10/13/14 11:09 pm - OH

Hey, stranger!!!    Good to see you here again!

Sorry you're hurting, though.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 445 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 400 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 435 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 334 views