Hypoglycemia?

kelly.elizabeth
on 6/16/15 12:56 am - KY

I'm 2 years post-op and I've recently (within the past week) started experiencing severe hypoglycemic symptoms. I've always had moderate symptoms every now and again (cold and clammy skin, shaky, heart racing, sweats), but the most recent symptoms have started scaring me. The usual symptoms times 10, plus the most recent time, I could barely talk to tell my boyfriend to get me something to eat and fast. When the symptoms happen, it's at the same time every morning (9 am) and happens regardless of if I eat before bed or not. I work night shifts, so I'll usually eat at around 7 am and then sleep. I was wondering if anyone else had this experience as well and what your course of treatment was. I'm definitely making a doctor's appointment today!

H.A.L.A B.
on 6/16/15 4:08 am

What you experiance is probably RH, reactive hypoglycemia. Very common post op, long term RNY. 

It may be The food you ate at 7 am that triggered the RH. 

Over time my body started releasing more insulin in response to carbs.  I call that insulin storm. For me it happened app 1.5 years post op. And it got worse.  So now I am Very careful what and how much I eat. The condition can be controlled by diet, but ...for it needs to a very strict diet. No grains, most fruits, no starches...

Also - lean proteins, like meat, eggs, whey...Will also cause insulin release, so I make sure I pair that with fat and some complex carbs (veggies, nuts) to avoid BS drop.  

What did you eat at 7 am that triggered RH?

A severe RH is really scary. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

kelly.elizabeth
on 6/16/15 5:18 am - KY

I've been reading up on it and just recently saw where us RNY'ers have an increased sensitivity to starches and the carbs in them. This makes sense because I realize that I ate a biscuit with sausage gravy before both incidents. Thank you so much for your help!

NadiaM
on 6/16/15 4:38 am

Question on my end... I get those symptoms usually 30mins-90mins after I eat high carbs/sugar. Is this hypoglycemia and what do you usually eat to make it stop? 

kelly.elizabeth
on 6/16/15 5:14 am - KY

That does sound like hypoglycemia. When I start feeling bad, I try to eat peanut butter crackers or drink some orange juice. Orange juice is really the best thing because it works super fast!

rocky513
on 6/16/15 6:31 am - WI

Orange juice will set you up for another spike in blood sugar and then a crash.  Reactive Hypoglycemia is not treated in the same way as diabetes.  The best thing to eat is a protein with a fat or starch.  A cracker with peanut butter is a good choice.  

Most reactive hypoglycemia problems are easily controlled with diet.  Eat something every 3-4 hours  (Low carb, high protein).  Skip the simple carbs like breads, pasta, sugar, rice, potatoes, etc.   Pick low glycemic foods to keep your blood sugar level.  Some fruits and juices will make your hypoglycemia worse.  If you stick to this diet, you won't need to worry about it.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

kelly.elizabeth
on 6/17/15 6:46 pm - KY

I didn't know that about the orange juice. Doesn't matter if it's a quick fix if you're going to be in the same situation soon after! Thank you!

Kathyjs
on 6/17/15 8:22 am

I am only stating my experience. I thought very low blood sugar causing these symptons and WITH ME ! It was dehydration 

nacke
on 6/17/15 8:49 am - Starkville, ms

Always eat a serving of protein at every meal. If I don't my sugar level always drops and I get all the symptoms that you experience. I usually eat a hard boiled egg every morning. A bowl of cereal or a pancake is always disastrous.  Don't worry about cholesterol from the eggs.  Mine stays about 160 which is really good. I keep glucose tablets in my purse for those times that I don't eat right and start experiencing symptoms. They are cheap and can be bought at any pharmacy and Walmart.

elma
on 6/17/15 3:05 pm - Tremonton, UT

I lost my first 100 lbs. pretty much with no problems, the last 20-40 have been a little harder because my family history of hypoglycemia has reared its ugly head and because of my Gastric bypass I am Hyper Hypoglycemic. What this means is my blood sugars will drop rapidly from a normal range into the 30-40 range in minutes. I have had it as low as 14 in the middle of a glucose tolerance test (That scared the **** out of my doctor). When my weight is stable I don't have as many problems; it is when I lose a few lbs. that I start having problems. I know I have to eat some protein with every meal, I am 6 years out from my surgery and I still do not eat any pastas without at least 5 grams of fiber, brown rice only, no breads with yeast in them, and very little of any other kind. I can’t drink milk or eat any type of ice cream product because I will guarantee a low blood sugar if I do, besides the dumping before. I do not go anywhere without candy in my purse, Smarties are the best. There is nothing worse than getting a low in the middle of the grocery store or the mall. I carry a blood glucose tester with me and if I even think I might be getting a low while driving I pull over and test it. It is something you learn to live with some of it by trial and error, but having lived with a diabetic for so many years helped because the funny the diet for someone with high blood sugars is about the same as someone with low blood sugars. Good Luck at least you are already at your goal weight. it takes longer to lose weight if you are fighting hypoglycemia.

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 385 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 358 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 327 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 16 replies · 170 views
What?s on tap for this Saturday?
Melody P. · 3 replies · 111 views
Recent Topics