Physical Allergy

SkinnyScientist
on 10/14/15 10:24 pm

Hi Gang,

I am cross posting this in the exercise and general discussion forums.

I am training for a half marathon. After 2 weeks off due to end of year production quotas,I got on the "dreadmill" for a long run.

2 miles in I was overcome with this intense itching around my entire trunk (aka stomach AND back). No amount of itching satisfied it.

It was finished by mile 6 but it was a miserable hour and a terrible way to start my run.

In the mirror, one could see my stretch marks had turned bright purple, with cherry red dots and they have stayed that way for about 48 hours.

I have a row of itchy bumps on my right thigh.

I have not changed my diets, these clothes have worn before with no problem (aka I know they dont chafe), and i havent changed my soaps/detergents.

So, I looked this up on the internet and there is something called "Physical allergy" where the mast cells degranulate in response to exercise. The solution is to take an antihistamine BEFORE working out.

This solution is viable BUT I developed it just out of nowhere literally. I dont understand WHY it has started now. Further, I wonder whether it will be a recurrent thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? I really dont want to be taking antihistamines several times per day. Alternatively, the literature reports people have DIED after developing swelling in their trachea and airways.

Any home remedies to alleviate this? One I read is that I should quit eating high histamine foods, but that is my entire diet (i.e. nuts, meats, wine, sauerkraut, fermented foods, pickles).

-Concerned and wanting to know why

Skinny

Hi Gang,

I am cross posting this in the exercise and general discussion forums.

I am training for a half marathon. After 2 weeks off due to end of year production quotas,I got on the "dreadmill" for a long run.

2 miles in I was overcome with this intense itching around my entire trunk (aka stomach AND back). No amount of itching satisfied it.

It was finished by mile 6 but it was a miserable hour and a terrible way to start my run.

In the mirror, one could see my stretch marks had turned bright purple, with cherry red dots and they have stayed that way for about 48 hours.

I have a row of itchy bumps on my right thigh.

I have not changed my diets, these clothes have worn before with no problem (aka I know they dont chafe), and i havent changed my soaps/detergents.

So, I looked this up on the internet and there is something called "Physical allergy" where the mast cells degranulate in response to exercise. The solution is to take an antihistamine BEFORE working out.

This solution is viable BUT I developed it just out of nowhere literally. I dont understand WHY it has started now. Further, I wonder whether it will be a recurrent thing.

Does anyone else have this problem? I really dont want to be taking antihistamines several times per day. Alternatively, the literature reports people have DIED after developing swelling in their trachea and airways.

Any home remedies to alleviate this? One I read is that I should quit eating high histamine foods, but that is my entire diet (i.e. nuts, meats, wine, sauerkraut, fermented foods, pickles).

-Concerned and wanting to know why

Skinny

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

Queen JB
on 10/15/15 2:21 am
RNY on 07/20/15

Oh that sounds awful! I looked it up to read more, though, and it sounds like this might be something different... What I read said the allergy is actually not really an allergy...it is an oversensitive reaction to the body warming. The rash that should last only about 30 minutes after your body cools down. Since it dissipated while you were still running and you still have lingering symptoms on your thigh, it might not be a match.

Was the treadmill at the gym? Could it be something environmental like another person's perfume? Or the spray if they use to clean the machines at the gym?

One of the articles I read said the true test is to get yourself very overheated without exercise. Cover yourself in a million blankets and see if you overheat while just laying down.

I hope this doesn't stop your quest for the 1/2! I'm rooting for you!

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

selhard
on 10/15/15 4:29 am - MN
RNY on 11/26/12

HI! You are going to make a lot of people smile and think, "Yeah, I have the problem of being allergic to running, too."

sqlchick19
on 10/15/15 5:48 am
RNY on 12/15/14

Haha! You just said what I was thinking!

Banded 12/18/08.  Band removed and revision to RNY on 12/15/14.

supershopper
on 10/15/15 6:22 am

I wrote a response and it was lost!!!

I was going to say, I started getting similar rashes last July, except mine are so itchy that my skin is itched off and causes scarring.

It was in July last year - I was traveling for work and some days would wear a jean with spandex in it. When I went to the dr, they thought I caught scabies from the hotel. Went through several treatments with no help.

The dermatologist said i had excema and did some patch tests. Came back allergic to heavy metals, heavy rubber- things I'm not around.

I went fragrance free on detergent, all natural, more lotion, yellow dye free, stopped eating foods with yellow dye. I thought at one point my body wash was causing it (Bath and body works has yellow dye in it)

My rash finally went away after 4 months. I think it is heat and maybe spandex related. My friend also has it- she swears it is stress excema - not sure if that is a real thing or not.

Cooler months I don't have issues....

HW 305 SW 278 Surgery weight 225 GW 160 LW: 118.8

RNY 12/15/2015,

GB removal 09/2016,

Twisted bowel/hernia repair 08/2017

M1 Dec 2015-13.0, M2-7.0, M3-14.5, M4-9.4, M5-7.1, M6 9.8, M7-7.6 ,M8- 7.6, M-9 5.5, M10-6.4, M11- 2.2, M12 Dec 2016- 5.8

Deanna798
on 10/15/15 6:56 am
RNY on 08/04/15

I don't have that problem, but last summer, out of the blue, I developed severe allergies. My whole entire body, from my head to my feet were covered in hives. It was miserable. I went to my doctor and he was at a loss. I have some food allergies but I was avoiding them, I have environmental allergies, and i was avoiding them also. My doctor tested me for Lupus when i started having angioedema in my hands, and face. I have pictures from last year that would make you cringe.

The reaction lasted for nearly a year, and I was taking Claritin, Zyrtec and Hydroxyzine to TRY to control it, and I was still breaking out. I haven't had a breakout since one week after my RNY. Somehow the surgery cured whatever I was allergic to.

My story is, sometimes allergies pop up without warning and without explanation. It's called Urticaria and I have to tell you, it's extremely frustrating.

Age: 44 | Height: 5' 3" | Starting January 2015: 291 | RNY 8/4/15 with Dr. Arthur Carlin| Goal: 150

Listen to advice and accept discipline, and at the end you will be counted among the wise. ~Proverbs 19:20

H.A.L.A B.
on 10/15/15 7:04 am

You started metformin a couple months ago.. Maybe this is your body new reactions to it.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/15 9:22 am
RNY on 05/04/15

I have cholinergic urticaria and get intense itching all over my legs any time I try to exercise when it's below 65 degrees. It started when I was about 20 and came out of nowhere. Antihistamines are the only thing that work to keep me from needing to endlessly claw at my legs. I take Allegra daily because it doesn't cross the blood-brain barrier so it doesn't cause drowsiness like even Claritin and Zyrtec did for me.

SkinnyScientist
on 10/15/15 10:26 am

Thank you. I will take a look into it.

Looks like I am off to the NP for ANOTHER drug.

First PCOS/Metformin, now this allergy.

It is irksome that I feel and look better than I ever have been, but these two weird things are popping up!

Well, at least it isnt a broken bone or cancer.

RNY Surgery: 12/31/2013; 

Current weight (2/27/2015) 139lbs, ~14% body fat

Three pounds below Goal!!! Yay !  

HFA70
on 10/15/15 11:57 am

I just wanted to congratulate you on your half marathon. I am training for my first 10km, hoping to do a half marathon next spring.

I hope you get an explanation for the rash!

Good luck!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 66 replies · 496 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 61 replies · 495 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 37 replies · 337 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 367 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 9 replies · 83 views