Best kitchen appliances for RNY

Kathy1212
on 2/11/17 7:51 am

Good morning!

I am 11 days post op and was wondering about kitchen appliances.  I'll be starting my pureed foods in 3 days; do I need a food processor, or can I use my blender?  I know it works for things like meat and yams because I used it to puree my dogs meals. I also have a Nutribullet blender.

I've seen some of you talk about the Instant Pot; is it worth the price?  It looks interesting, and I have a fondness for kitchen gadgets, lol.  Love that it makes yogurt too.

What do you all find the most helpful?

Thanks,

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

1st Day of (3 weeks worth of) Optifast: Jan. 11, 2017

Surgery Date: Feb. 1st, 2017

Kathy  

peachpie
on 2/11/17 8:29 am - Philadelphia, PA
RNY on 04/28/15

I never puréed anything. I either stuck to liquids or ate things like mashed meatballs with sauce/ricttoa or chicken salad- (finely chopped). IMO it wasn't worth the extra work to purée things for 2 weeks. 

I never bought any appliances- just used what I had. I don't own an insta pot: 

5'6.5" High weight:337 Lowest weight:193/31 BMI: Goal: 195-205/31-32 BMI

Sssmck
on 2/11/17 1:43 pm
RNY on 01/23/17

I'm taking a similar approach. I like tuna, so having that mashed up well, ricotta bake, refried beans (FF) with a tiny bit of guacamole and cheese, etc. As for everyday use... I swear by my Instant Pot! Never done yogurt in it, but it took the place of our rice cooker, and has been an amazing appliance. When we were all eating meals regularly (since surgery things have been less organized) we used it at least twice a week for all or part of meals. There are tons of recipes available online and only the picky teenager has ever complained about anything I've thrown together in the Instant Pot. 

(deactivated member)
on 2/11/17 2:06 pm - CA

Air Fryer hands down!  I got the Phillips and it is the best purchase I ever made after surgery! 

Eggface
on 2/11/17 9:29 am - Sunny Southern, CA

Some of my most used (disclaimer I cook a lot) ninja, mini food processor, I like to make creamy soups without cream so I love my hand blender, I make protein ice cream https://www.pinterest.com/eggface/protein-ice-cream/ in the summer a lot (I live in hot So Cal) so an ice cream maker in the summer is a permanent fixture on my counter... and a Zoodle maker is a MUST but they are super cheap http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2016/10/weigh t-loss-surgery-friendly-low-carb.html 

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Kathy1212
on 2/11/17 6:11 pm

Hi Eggface,

I LOVE your blog, and am soooo looking forward to trying the refried beans and the ricotta bake next week.

Love your zoodle maker.  I'm half Italian too so thank you for all of the wonderful pasta alternatives.

Pre-Op Visit: Jan. 10, 2017, weight 304, surgeon: Dr. David Lindsay, St. Joe's, Toronto

Kathy  

Eggface
on 2/11/17 7:05 pm - Sunny Southern, CA

Yay! Thank you. Ricotta Bake was the first food that made me feel "normal" LOL whatever that is ;) post-op. I hope you enjoy anything you try from the blog.

Weight Loss Surgery Friendly Recipes & Rambling
www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com

Renee C.
on 2/11/17 9:59 am - Bellevue, WA
Revision on 02/01/17

The blender should work fine if it will get things smooth; that's what I use for pureeing.  

We got an instant pot and are experimenting with it; I think it will come in handy overall for cooking but I am not sure it's a necessary appliance for RNY.  We eat so little.  You can make a huge batch of greek yogurt in the thing and it tastes fantastic, but given how little we eat at a time, we don't really need huge batches of yogurt unless the rest of the fam is eating it too...

I'm looking forward to trying a spiralizer though for zucchini noodles!  I will wait until I'm at my solid food stage to get one though.

Band removal & RNY Feb 1 2017

Kathy1212
on 2/11/17 6:13 pm

I'd love to try making greek yogurt.  My family loves yogurt but I'm not sure if they'd try any made by me, lol.

Don't those zucchini noodles look great?  I love zucchini, which is a plus, lol.

I'm on the full fluid stage and am so looking forward to the puree stage.

Kathy  

odie
on 2/11/17 10:17 am
RNY on 05/26/14

I bought an Air Fryer and BEST PURCHASE EVER!!  Wings are crispy as if they were deep fried, roasts has crispy outer layer and moist inside.  My son and I cook everything we can in this thing.  It can go in the dishwasher but is really easy to clean.  I also bought an Instant Pot but have only did a small roast in there.  I have to start experimenting more.  Lipsticklady loves hers. 

To Thine Own Self Be True!!

Most Active
Recent Topics