8 days from surgery, and I'm worried about not losing enough for my surgeon

brittanybee
on 7/24/17 11:56 am
Mini Gastric Bypass on 08/01/17

I'm scheduled for surgery on August 1st, which is just 8 days away!! Due to my high BMI, my surgeon requested that I be on a 3 week liquid diet prior to surgery and to lose 20-25lbs. Yikes!! So I started off strong, and weighed in at his office after week one, and was down 9lbs! However, week two was a bit more of a struggle to stay on track and I'm really nervous about what the scale is going to show tomorrow when he checks my weight. I'm wondering how likely the possibility of him canceling my surgery is ...due to not enough weight lost in the weeks prior to surgery. Has anyone had problems with this before??

slightlyrocky
on 7/24/17 12:38 pm - Titusville, FL
RNY on 05/02/17

We all had to go through this. Yep - its not easy. You can do it! You just have to hunker down and do it! There is a reason for it - your surgeon wants to make sure you are a candidate for weight loss surgery - it helps ensure that the patient is committed long term. If you are not committed you might as well not do it because it is not an easy fix as some will say. I lost the pre-op weight by following my surgeon's recommendations - total liquid: 3 protein shakes a day, broth, sf popsicles, sf jello and start moving all you can. If you do this you will lose the weight! Good luck!

hollykim
on 7/24/17 2:32 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On July 24, 2017 at 7:38 PM Pacific Time, slightlyrocky wrote:

We all had to go through this. Yep - its not easy. You can do it! You just have to hunker down and do it! There is a reason for it - your surgeon wants to make sure you are a candidate for weight loss surgery - it helps ensure that the patient is committed long term. If you are not committed you might as well not do it because it is not an easy fix as some will say. I lost the pre-op weight by following my surgeon's recommendations - total liquid: 3 protein shakes a day, broth, sf popsicles, sf jello and start moving all you can. If you do this you will lose the weight! Good luck!

not every surgeon or ins company require weight loss pre op.

ShandrewsCA
on 7/24/17 12:50 pm - Coeur D Alene, ID

I remember this too when I had my surgery in 2005. He just wanted me to weigh less with no specific amount, but the problem was I had gained about 15 lbs from my last weigh-in! So I did the liquid thing too, walked every day, and I weighed like 3 lbs less the day of surgery LOL :)

Grim_Traveller
on 7/24/17 12:54 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Some are super strict, some aren't. I've seen some have surgeries xanceled for not meeting goals. If it were me, I'd just assume yours was a strict one, and really dig in.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

HonestOmnivore
on 7/24/17 2:23 pm
RNY on 03/29/17

It can depend on the size of your liver too. One of the reasons for the finial liquid diet stage is to reduce the fat in your liver and thereby provide the surgeon with enough room to perform the surgery. Like Grim said, just buckle down and do it! You can, it's totally worth it! And the more room you give him to do the job, the easier you'll heal from the surgery.

Good luck!

5'4" 49yrs at surgery date

SW - 206 CW - 128
M1 - 20lb M2 - 9 lb M3 - 7 lb M4 - 7 lb M5 - 7 lb M6 - 6 lb M7 - 4 lb M8 - 1 lb M9 - 2 lb M10 - 4 lb M11 - 0lb M12 - 3lb M13 - 0 lb M14 - 2 lb M15 - 0 lb M16 - 3 lb

CathyV
on 7/24/17 4:16 pm

I didn't do great on my pre op diet. I was moving and then on vacation. And I wanted to say to the surgeon,"dude, if I was good at this dieting crap I wouldn't be having this surgery." That being said, I did not cheat on the liquid diet I was on right before surgery. You'll need to dig deep and find some religion for that. That diet shrinks your liver and makes it easier for the surgeon to do what he needs to do. Good luck to you!

HW- 375

SW- 358

GW- 175

Writergurl08
on 7/25/17 8:25 am
RNY on 02/15/18

I started my required 6 month evaluation this month but I don't actually have my first consult with the surgeon until August 31. I'm concerned about this too, wondering what my surgeon will want me to lose pre-op. My personal goal will be to get under 300 before surgery.

Were all here cheering you on!

brittanybee
on 7/26/17 12:29 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 08/01/17

Thanks everyone, for your advice and encouragement !!

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 362 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 276 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 27 replies · 205 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 22 replies · 300 views
What?s on your Saturday menu?
Melody P. · 7 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics