Veterans: How do you keep it off and avoid regain?

Lucile777
on 4/24/19 4:44 pm

Hello my friends. For those of you who are 3 plus years out, what was your starting weight? Your current weight? How did you manage to keep your weight off? Do your exercise? What's your support system?

Detailed answers would be appreciated and do NOT apologize for long posts. I'm looking forward to hearing from everyone, but Diminishing Dawn, H.A.L.A.B. (I think) and Grim Something or other (the man) would be great as well. Oh and someone named Karen. And of course all of our other wise veterans.

By the way, if you're on the other extreme and have regained, what was your starting, surgery, current weights? Please share your journey and tell us what caused you limited success.

Wishing everyone what amounts to their own definition of success.

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/25/19 5:39 am - Burleson, TX

You show me YOURS, and I'll show you MINE

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

Candrews1
on 4/25/19 6:27 am - Jackson, TN
RNY on 04/17/15

4 years out so not quite a "long time" veteran but none the less...started at 285 and down to 202 as of today..Im still losing after 4 years so no regain.

As Im sure most will say, just stick to basics..

I still meal prep (grilled chicken/rice/beans) Monday-Friday for lunch..if you aren't still doing protein first, that IMO has to be Step 1..I tell everyone that I talk to about WLS that once you realize that food is nothing more than fuel, it changes your mindset. #1 rule about food, STAY OUT OF DRIVE THRUS!!!!!!

I exercise 6 days a week. The "Exercise and Fitness" forum here at OH is a great tool to stay accountable. I personally either run, swim or cycle almost every day. I also compete in several different types of events so that drive to be better keeps me going.

I drink @120 ounces of water a day..more during the hotter months. I think your fluid intake is also critical to maintaining weight loss.

Bottom line-Move more/Eat healthier..there is no magic wand or secret formula..

Height=5"4' Age=49 RNY=04/17/2015

HW=285, CW=205, LW=197, GW=195

My exercise motto-Further or faster!!!

Sarahakers11
on 4/25/19 1:11 pm - Culpeper, VA
RNY on 06/04/13 with

Hi Lucile!

So i was 325 ish down to 145 and i am now 6 years out and 170. I was way way to skinny at 145 and all ribs and hip bones. I would like to be 155. I am a very avid hiker and backpacker. To the point that my PA had me figuring out ways to snack and get more food in then she would normally ever do for other patients because i was backpacking and going 15-17 miles in a day with 35-45 lbs on my back. Last summer I went to Iceland to backpack and when I came back i was just kind of a mess. I attributed it to just being worn out. Turned out I was anemic and stopped absorbing my iron. Not at all uncommon at 5 - 6 years out. I had an iron infusion back in March and I am feeling much much better. Needless to say when i stopped spending weekends doing 10 - 17 miles and weekdays doing 3-4 i had to retrain myself to eat less. I am back to lots of water and no longer snacking but breakfast, protein shake, lunch, protein shake, and dinner.

long story to get to this answer. Remain active but be self aware. Know when your activity level warrants eating more or less and never at the expense of your tool. I lost some basic habits and was not drinking enough or eating protein forward because i NEEDED the carbs and calories. Now I don't... so back to basics. I am by NO means overweight and super toned but my brain would feel a LOT better if I was 15lbs lighter on the scale.

With or without RNY your body will change over the years so keep an eye out and adjust because losing 2-7lbs is much different then 70 - 90 and that can happen if we aren't careful.

Nothing scares me more than regain EXCEPT not feeling good inside my body. SO for me its about moving, exercise, and trying to maintain all my vitamins and my overall health.

HW - 297  start of Pre-op - 290.2   SW- 279.2   GW - 145    

The Depressed Hiker Blog

A middle aged over the hump and over what "I'm suppose to do" woman, with the wild spirit and a nasty case of depression and anxiety!

Lucile777
on 4/25/19 1:16 pm

Thank you and I wish you continued success. So great that you have your hiking to channel your energy into. Stay strong, stay positive- you got this!

MLC45
on 4/25/19 7:09 pm

I'm 19 years post op. Started at 340 and got down to 160. Regained over the years because I didn't follow the post op instructions, and then I had 4 knee surgeries, so the exercising stopped. I reached 260 before I got motivated to work on my weight again. I'm now down to 165. I would still like to drop another 20-30 pounds, but I'm happy with my appearance in the mean time.

In order to lose the regain, I exercised at least 45 minutes 5 times a week, drank protein drinks for breakfast and lunch, and then had protein and veggies for dinner. I also lived off of sugar free popsicles to battle the cravings. Losing the regain isn't easy, but it's doable if you work at it.

Lucile777
on 4/25/19 7:15 pm

Thank you for your post. Hope your knees are better and congratulations on losing the regain. Be well :)

Kathy S.
on 4/26/19 7:15 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Highest 330

Lowest 114

Maintain 125-130

I lost my weight and have kept it off my following the basic rules every day.

Planning/Preparing

Journaling

Goals/Rewards

Food - high protein, low carb

Water

MOVE!

Support

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Lucile777
on 4/26/19 8:04 pm

What do you do for moving? how often?

Kathy S.
on 4/27/19 8:20 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Hi Lucile777,

I started out walking with the help of a cart. Could not walk far without my left side going numb.

Walking the block and tracking steps.

Biking

Swimming

Zumba

Joined a gym and started working out like a body builder. After losing my weight I was getting ready for plastic surgery and wanted my body fat as low as possible in order to get the most out of my skin removal.

Flash forward 15 years, I now enjoy biking, hiking, walking, swimming and running after 3 grand babies.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 451 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 39 replies · 344 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 436 views
Recent Topics