Recent Posts

fatmanj85
on 10/21/12 3:05 am - FL
Topic: 1 last try!!!
 I have been big my whole life. I have gone on diets and lost weight but i always quit the moment i loose 20 or 30 pounds. I have a friend that got the surgery and she ays good things about it. I'm not large enough to be eligible for it but things are starting to go south again. I am 5'10 and at my worst i weighed 320 but i recently lost 40 lbs and I tarted to gain the weight back again. So I decided to give give diet and exercise one last shot, but this time im documenting it I have started a website called watchjaylose.blogspot.com and im going to use it as a way to document and keep my weight loss on track with the help of the community and it can serve as a way to help others aswell. I neverous this may be considered as spam but i would like to assure the moderators that this is not my intention. Moderators check my site out first if it doesn't seem genuine ban me.
Ashley O.
on 10/1/12 3:45 am
Topic: RE: lactose
 I've never heard of this. But I do know that holding most of your weight in your stomach area, verse other areas of your body is a sign of Metabolic Syndrome (or any metabolic disorder... Insulin Resistance, Type 2 Diabetes, PCOS, Hypothyroidism, Cushings Syndrome, etc..) It'd be worth asking your daughters doctor about.

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting some kind of battle."
~

Check out my blog? (: www.ourfightnow.net
~

jillfiredup
on 10/1/12 1:51 am
Topic: RE: New To the site
I'm new too!  I am on maintenance with Weigh****chers but have a teenage son who has weight issues.  I'm  hoping to find support for dealing with his issues.
Member Services
on 9/14/12 11:33 am - Irvine, CA
Topic: Meet Our Speakers: Ask The Experts!
                       Save the dates: October 5th and 6th!

Come to Atlanta, GA and ask our panel of experts the questions you want answers to!  If you are unable to atend the event, email your questions to:  [email protected] and we will ask the experts to answer your questions and then we will post them on the message boards after the OH event!

Click here to reserve your tickets today!  We hope to see you there!

Mixed Q & A Panel, 
Grads & Professionals

Friday  2:00pm - 4:30pm

Dr.  Paul E. Macik

Performing operations laparoscopically since 1991.  His practice offers Gastric Bypass, LapBand and Sleeve Gastrectomy options.  Also an Instructor for Quarterly In-Service Program of Bariatric Surgery at Emory Dunwoody Medical Center and Northside Hospital.

Jim Blackburn

Jim lost 215 pounds and found a love for running.  With 58,038 Race finishers at an avg time of 01:17:35, Jim finished the 2012 Peachtree Road Race (10k) in 1:07:57, a goal he's worked towards since having Gastric Bypass.

Dr.  Michael Williams 

Dr. Williams principal clinical and research interest include minimally invasive techniques, and the surgical therapy of morbid obesity.  He has been involved in training surgeons in laparocopic techniques in the United States and the Caribbean.  

Beth Sheldon-Badore

Blogger, & Founder of Bariatric Bad Girls. "Melting Mama" as she's known through her blog has been blogging about life since her WLS in 2004.  Her witty, honest approach to life after WLS has inspired and supported thousands.

Dr. Sheldon Lincenberg

Double-board certified, plastic and reconstructive surgeon and a board-certified general surgeon.  In 1995, he created and began sponsoring Pink Ribbons, an annual October event during Breast Cancer Month to benefit breast cancer organizations.

Courtney aka tripmom02

An active OH member for 5 years and a frequent poster on the VSG forum! She's bringing her post-op experience as a Lap Band to VSG Revision. Courtney has lost 170 lbs and is training for her 1st half marathon in October. Her goal is to complete an Iron Man in 2014!

Professional Q & A Panel

Saturday  10:30am - 11:55am

Scott Steinberg, MD

Fellow-ship trained advanced laparoscopic surgeon. A member of the American College of Surgeons and the ASMBS. 

Qammar Rashid, MD

Fellow-ship trained in Minimally Invasive and Bariatric Surgery.  A large part of her practice is breast and bariatric surgery.    

Dr. Dennis C. Smith  

The 3rd surgeon in the world to perform the totally laparoscopic DS and the 1st bariatric surgeon in the world to present the Hand-Sewn Duedenal-Ileal Anastomosis technique. 

Connie Stapleton, Ph.D

Dr. Stapleton is a licensed clinical psychologist, received her doctorol degree from Texas A&M University in Counseling Psychology.  

Donna DeMild, LPBLC

Post-Op and CEO of BodySmart, LLC. Donna works at NJ Bariatrics and is a licensed bariatric life coach. Her focus is lifestyle change after wls.   

Jeremy Gentles

A Ph.D Candidate in Sport Science at East Tennessee State University and for a number of years, served as ObesityHelp's Exercise Physiologist. 

Shravan Panyam
on 9/13/12 12:37 pm - Irvine, CA
Topic: Announcing Forum Upgrades!

Its been over six years since we've launched our forums. During this time it has seen thousands of fresh faces, greetings, meetings, partings, arguments, kind words, life transformations, cathartic rants, and simply happy time pass. It has been with us throughout this time, silently observing and facilitating. But like any wise old man, its bones were getting old. Its joints were aching, and it has been needing a new jolt of energy.

A Mobile World
Did you know that over 30% of you visit our website using a mobile device? For those who do visit us via mobile, we owe you a sincere apology, because our forums have been horrendous on a mobile browser. But the big news is that things are about to change! Our new forums are completely mobile friendly and compatible with iPhone, Android, and pretty much any other modern smart phone.

Each post, topic, and forum shows up beautifully, with the full set of features, and in nice large font. See the screenshots for yourself.

You dont have do anything different, just browse to the forums like you normally would. This means that you can finally put these away:

Not Just for Mobile
The interface on your desktop browser has also been cleaned up a great deal. There is now less clutter on the page, and the overall experience is a lot cleaner. Check out some more screenshots here!

You will notice that each post no longer has 400 buttons below it. Only the buttons that are relevant to each post show up, making your screen space a lot less cluttered. Also, when you reply to another person's post, the entire post is indented inside, making it a lot easier to figure out who has replied to whom.

Launching soon! Maybe as early as next week! Maybe.
And do remember that this is not in any way a be-all-end-all when it comes to the forums. We are in the process of constantly learning and improving upon what we have, and this is just one step along the way.

Stay tuned for the changes! We look forward to hearing your thoughts on this.

ObesityHelp Developer

Member Services
on 9/8/12 1:46 pm - Irvine, CA
Topic: Meet Our Speakers: Colleen M. Cook

Meet Our Speakers: Colleen M. Cook

Hope & Help for the Pain of Regain

Join 17 year WLS veteran Colleen M. Cook for both a shot in the arm and a kick in the seat as she shares lessons from long-term losers and imparts insight, inspiration, and hope for WLS patients struggling with extended plateaus or weight regain. Her thoughts, stories, and personal experiences will inspire and motivate you to reach and maintain your optimum weight loss.

Also, don't miss her Keynote on Friday: Nothing Succeeds Like Success

We hope to see you in Atlanta, GA October 5th and 6th! Click here to book your ticket today!

Fast Facts About Colleen

-Colleen is the author of The Success Habits of Weight Loss Surgery Patients.
- She is the president or Bariatric Support Centers International, a company that specializes in providing education and support services for weight loss surgery patients and the professionals who serve them.
- Colleen currently serves on the National Advisory board for the Walk From Obesity.
-Known as Ms. Enthusiasm, Colleen helps men and women from all walks of life recognize their extraordinary potential and then inspires then to aspire.

Mary_1980
on 7/10/12 8:26 pm - Saudi Arabia
Topic: lactose
 Hi
I have a question, 
a friend of mine has a daughter who is overweight. she has a tummy problem and so does my daughter, their main weight problem is their big tummy. she said that someone recommended that she uses lactose free milk and she tried it, and after a while she noticed a difference in her tummy and recommended that I try it. I looked it up and I found no proof of it. does anyone have information on this? does milk intake have to do with it? we use only skimmed milk and yoghurt.
Thanks for reading 
Maryam
Mary_1980
on 7/10/12 8:05 pm - Saudi Arabia
Topic: RE: any other parents out there?
 Hi, I'm new to this forum. your first post struck me cause it sounded just like I was the one who posted it! everyone around me looks at me like I'm a mean heartless mom (including my daughter). it's not as simple as (don't bring any junk food home), we are literally surrounded by junk food, we go swimming and our company bring sugary drinks, cruissants, chips, I register her in a summer camp and most of their food is what I'd consider junk, even if other people disagree. at school too, they sell candy and chips, and how am I supposed to forbid her from being like her friends? if I want to forbid her from junk food, I'd literally have to lock her home. None of her friends suffer from obesity so they are careless about the type of food they eat in gatherings. and she is a very social person.
I'm really at loss, and she is gainning weight. she doesn't listen, and tries to get away with eating junk. I think I'm losing my mind :(
just to let you know that you're not alone out there
Maryam
Ashley O.
on 4/22/12 11:26 pm
Topic: RE: Any teens out there who had WLS??
I'm 5'3" and my highest weight was 285lbs. i know my bmi was around 48 or so.. i'm not entirely sure what your daughters bmi is, or if she has any comorbidies..

The best advice i can say is just consult with a surgeonw ho will operate on a minor, and send a request ot insurance... and if they dney, just continue appealing.. that's all you can do. if your insurance wont budge, then they wont. I was really lucky in that my insurance was really complient.. they covered it immediatley.. I had caresource (medicaid) at the time. we don't have ti anymore, unfortunatley.. but yeah.

I'm not sure where you live, but i live in ohio.. i'm not sure state by state if different insurances have different policies... but if you can wing it, theres always the self pay option.. see if theres any way you could work it out with the surgeons office to pay it off over time.. something liek that. or just start saving aside a little money now... a little bit each paycheck and see how quickly it adds up.

I really hope you all figure it out. I did respond to your message onf acebook by the way, and if you have any other questions/concerns feel free to message me anywhere.. or if your daughter has any questions or anything i'd be happy to talk to her, too. (:

have a great day.

-ashley

~

~

Ashley O.
on 4/22/12 11:08 pm
Topic: RE: Getting ur teen approved????
I think you messaged me on facebook a couple days ago about this, but I thought i'd respond here aswell incase anyone else sees this.

I know lots of people have fought insurance, some lost, others won.. I think it helps if your in a program specificaly for teenagers. I"m not 100% sure, just from what i've read up it seems like an easier process. if you have a surgeon that will operate on her at 14, just go through their office and continue appealing the denial.. eventually they may just get tired and approve it to get everyone to shut up. do the medical necessity thiing, submit all paperwork, work with the surgeons office and maybe even write a letter askign..

Sometimes it just wont be covedred though.. it may not be in your plan.. and a lot of insurers have a problem with minors recieving wls.. and theres just nothing youc an do about it, unforutnatley. /:

I hope it all works out for you and your daughter. feel free tomessage me if you have any other questions or concerns. (:

-ashley

~

~

Most Active