Variances in pain/nausea experience...help the to-be-sleeved!

LittleMissSunshine
on 3/24/11 9:39 am
I'm noticing a really wide variance in reports of pain/nausea after the operation... I'm wondering how much of it has to do with which medications are used to manage both.

For those of you who are sleeved, can you post to this thread whether you had pain/nausea and if so, what meds were you on... what other things helped manage both?

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Linda B.
on 3/24/11 9:48 am - CA
For me, my Dr said it prob a combination of 2 things...the anethesia and morphine. I tend to believe him bc after he changed to Dilaudid and the anesthesia wore off more, everything resolved fairly quickly. Maybe you could do what someone else mentioned here today & request Zofran IV before you go into surgery. I wish my nursie brain would have thought of that, but I didn't have any issues with it before, so I didn't consider it.
Best of Luck,
Linda B

Awesome workout: www.ujamfitness.com 

HW=249#  SW= 236#  CW 179#  TOTAL=71 lost BMI= 30.6
Lose weight with me at LIVESTRONG.COM

Lisa F.
on 3/24/11 9:59 am
I'm on day 20 post op and still have pain near the main incision off and on. Some days are better than others. I don't take any pain meds and haven't had any since 24 hours after surgery. I'm hoping the pain will end soon, it's getting old but I'm sure it's just part of the swelling in there. Luckily have had no issues with nausea but that could come later. Never know!
MrsClaus09
on 3/24/11 10:05 am
I had minimal pain and nausea...I blog about my nausea and I don't really think it was nausea compared to some sort of odd gag reflex having to do with my NG tube.  Regardless, I was given Zofran once in the hospital and Compazine (I think) twice.

I was given dilauded with a push button (every 6 minutes if I wanted it) for pain while in the hospital.  The most pain I had was from my incision sites and having to move around (in and out of bed and such).  Now that I'm home, I am using Roxicet for pain...I take it 2-3 times per day.  Pain is minimal...still some soreness at my incision sites and I do have a muscle that is killing me but it's manageable for most of the day.
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
(deactivated member)
on 3/24/11 10:58 am
I had nausea for about 3-4 days, each day a bit better than the day before.  I was given a "seasick" patch behind my ear before surgery and given something IV after surgery in combo with the patch.  I came home with a prescription which I have not used.  I had mild pain which the "press the green button" cured and have not had to use the giante bottle of pain meds since I came home either.  I was able to sleep on both sides with mild discomfort while in the hospital and now I sleep on both sides with no discomfort.  I had some pain low in my left side which I attribute to eating too fast last night.  It only lasted 30 min or so and I did not take anything for it.   I wanted to punish myself for being a piggy.  (maybe I will remember next time)  I used a heating pad for while the first few days but don't need one now.  I really had an easy time of it so I would think I am not the "norm" . 
Brenda L.
on 3/24/11 11:09 am - Raleigh, NC
I never experienced any nausea or gas pains...I was really lucky!
  Brendini                                                              
PK130
on 3/24/11 11:10 am, edited 3/24/11 12:08 pm - Dallas, TX
VSG on 03/01/11 with
I am about 3 1/2 weeks post op and I'm still having some pain. It's not unbearable but it's frequent and uncomfortable. They had me on liquid hydrocodone which was working just fine but they put me on Celebrex (which confuses the hell out of me since it's an NSAID or whatever which I thought was a total no-no after bariatric surgery...???) on Monday and it has done absolutely nothing for me. I actually called yesterday morning to ask about it and they were like 'you have to give it time to get into your system' - I'm like I need relief! Not 4 days on a pill that is doing nothing for me!

I haven't had any nausea.
Eydiebug
on 3/24/11 11:40 am - San Antonio, TX
I guess I'm another one of the lucky ones.  Not a whole lot of pain, and zero nausea.  Don't know what was in my pump in the hospital, but didn't really use it much.  Just managed to sleep through the pain. Came home with liquid hydrocodone, and only used it the first two nights I was home because I knew I would toss and turn, and didn't want to wake up in pain.

Eydie

HW-319 SW-295 CW-186.2 GW-160 BMI-29.1   
Ladydivigirl
on 3/24/11 12:48 pm
I was sleeved on Tuesday and I was blessed not to suffer any nausea or pain. My surgeon's team did a great job of managing both...I had zofran before surgery and all during post op it was in my IV. I forgot the name of the pain killer I was given, but it was darn good, because I didn't have any...I know I couldn't believe it either. God in all his glory. I was nervous that when I got home without the zofran I would have nausea...but so far so good. I'm sipping, sipping sipping and sipping. My dr.says it all depends on the individual and their tolerance and management of meds given. Don't be nervous...it'll all work out....

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
BriarRose
on 3/24/11 1:44 pm
I think there is a wide difference between individuals, and how we percieve pain. I have a good tolerance for some kinds of pain....but not for pain at night ! I was uncomfortable at night for 2 weeks. I took the liquid pain med for just over 2 weeks, but only at night, so I could sleep. Otherwise, I would turn onto my side from my back and zap ! Awake and in pain. But one night it was like a light switch turning off. And I could turn over, and no pain !

Everyone is different. Just be very out there about what is and isn't working for you. In the hospital, I was on morphine, and it did NOTHING. The nurse told me "but you are on a high doseage of morphine" I told her, that's nice, get my doctor on the phone and get me something that will work. My doc was still in the hospital, came in and changed it to dilaudid. That did the trick. I am prone to nausea, so I told the surgeon and the anesthesiologist, and was given zofran pre and then post op. I never felt nauseaous ! Whether I would have, I don't know, but why tempt fate ?
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 69 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 254 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 321 views