prilosec..

Romy J.
on 3/27/11 12:50 pm - Spring, TX
ok.. so it was brought to my attention that i am NOT on prilosec... should i be???? 

I thought i was doing everything right.... but i am about to switch things up a little... i am bound and determined to be at LEAST a size 10 in 6 months... this is my time to shine... and i KNOW i have all of you to back me up... started in size 20's  TIGHT 20's  im in loose 18's... at a stall and effin determined to get the hell out of them!!!

Just came back from a work out!!!!   30 minutes (pushed it)  on eliptical 10 on tread... feeling skinny all ready!

P.S...   to my HUBBY # 2......   THANK YOU!!!
263pre    249SW   218CW   220 short term goal!! 
Next GOAL...  199!!

Jennchap
on 3/27/11 1:17 pm - CA
 Im not sure what prilosec is but I am on  PPI. If thats what it is, then yes you should get on one. I was given a list of reasons from healing, indigestion to prevention of gallbladder issues as reasons a PPI is important.
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

frisco
on 3/27/11 1:29 pm

I was on two mandatory meds when released from the hospital.

Ask your Surgeon about:

- PPI Omaprozal

Ursodiol.... a specific Gall Bladder Med for prevention of Gall Stones

Be strong....keep it up !!!!

I'm thinkin size 8 in 6 months !!!!

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:25 pm, edited 3/27/11 2:25 pm
Frisco- How soon after you were home did you start the ursodiol & did you have to cru****?
frisco
on 3/27/11 2:36 pm

Yah... was supposed to be right from the get go....but I waited about a week before I started that and potassium .......break it up into like 4-6 pieces...

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

(deactivated member)
on 3/27/11 2:42 pm
Thanks! Was the potassium just a precaution or were your labs low?
frisco
on 3/27/11 4:58 pm

Good question....don't know....I just figured everyone of his patients got that.... I was also told to take Calcium.....in the form of Tums was OK and a Multi Vit.

I think the reason is that post-op your gonna be low on just about everything......

frisco

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Ratfinkshell
on 3/27/11 3:23 pm - Fullerton, CA
Famotidine (Prilosec, Pepcid etc) are ant acids, generally the Dr. will give it to you the first month to regulate your stomach acid, seeing as how you have a new much smaller stomach you do not need as much acid to digest food, so they put you on it the first month to "train" your body to only make so much. After the first month on it they generally take you off to see if you still need help with regulation if so then you continue to take it. It also helps the stomach heal faster because there isn;t as much acid on the sutures. I think some people use it to help with hunger, maybe because they mistake the stomach grumbling form the acid (indigestion, acid reflux) for hunger.

Hope this helps. 

HW:263 SW:236 CW: 163 GW:140-150

Revision to sleeve on 03/15/2011 due to broken band

USAF Wife
on 3/27/11 10:20 pm
I promise I'm not being snarky, but want to correct a few things for anyone reading this.

Famotidine, Zantac, Pepcid are h2 blockers and NOT PPIs. They work differently, and they can help reduce stomach acid. H2blockers treat the symptoms of reflux usually within an hour, but do not last like PPIs, and are used for ulcer treatment.

PPI (proton pump inhibitors) actually reduces acid production dramatically, and have longer lasting effect.

The reason listed for use post-VSG is correct, but it can take months for the stomach to realize it doesn't need to make as much acid, and many find they need to stay on a PPI long term.

Also, there are no sutures with VSG, it's stapled.

My stomach has never growled, but I went on Prilosec around 6-7 weeks post-vsg because I would get a gnawing twinge an hour after I ate. It was an obnoxious discomfort, talked to some vets on here, they suggested it could be false hunger caused by overproduction of acid. Within about 10 days of Prilosec once daily, that gnawing twinge, hunger went away. I have still never experienced physical hunger, nor any reflux symptoms.

I'm nearly 22 months out, and stay on a PPI. I have switched to Nexium because in January, I had a minor case of gastritis and my PCM switched me over. I will stay on it especially now since I'm pregnant.  The long-term side-effects of PPI usage are minimal, and I'll take those risks over being hungry and/or dealing with reflux.

Definitely, make sure you take it on an empty stomach, and wait 1 hour before eating, or eat and wait 2-3 hours to take a PPI.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

bekahler
on 3/27/11 10:32 pm - Parkville, MD
 OMG..You're pregnant!!! I dont know how I missed this..guess just not keeping up with the boards...CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Best Wishes for a healthy happy pregnancy!
"There are no Strangers Here, Only Unmet Friends" ~Helen Keller        

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 83 views