HELP.....how to cook fish

sandyj06
on 3/31/11 6:04 am - GA
Hey guys,
I have always LOVED fish, especially tilapia but my husband and daughter do not like it so I've never cooked it at home. I am on the "soft foods" phase of my diet and am having a hard time getting in all my protein. SO, my nutritionist recommended getting it from fish. Problem is, I'm not sure how to cook it. Any good suggestions for how to fix this tilapia? I would greatly appreciate y'alls help. THANKS!!!!
KrisJ77
on 3/31/11 6:11 am - TX

I use cajun seasoning and pan fry them in a skillet with either olive oil, small pat of butter or cooking spray....the key is not to flip much or they will fall apart!! 

Linda B.
on 3/31/11 6:14 am - CA
You can also grill it out on the grill. It's a DELICIOUS fish. I use it in salads too...well not at this moment, but I did, and I will..lol.
Judith K.
on 3/31/11 6:14 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
Sprinkle w/ salt and pepper (if you don't have fish seasoning), heat a fry pan to medium heat, add a little EVOO and saute the fish on both sides 'til lightly browned.  Doesn't take long -- 2-3 minutes per side.  Fish should flake easily w/ fork and not be dried out.

You could also google and find lots of exotic recipes, but this is quick and easy.

I'm making Orange Roughy for dinner.  Mmmm. . .one of my favorites.

Do you like salmon?  Do you have a vacuum sealer?  If so I know the BEST and easiest way to cook salmon.  It would be perfect on your soft food phase.
HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

sandyj06
on 3/31/11 6:15 am - GA
I do like salmon but I don't have a vacuum sealer. Would your recipe still work?
GOING2LOSEIT2011
on 3/31/11 6:48 am
I love Salmon and have a sealer .. Can I have the Recepie
I can do all things through Christ who strengthen me.Phil 4:13
  Hw 386  Sw 322 Cw 226.6
DR.Christine Chu   Fremont , Ca                 
  VSG  6/28

Judith K.
on 4/1/11 1:13 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
I don't think the salmon would work w/out a vacuum sealer.  As an aside, I think a vacuum sealer is an indispensable kitchen tool.  Especially now that we eat so little.  Sealing/freezing anything from fresh thinks you buy on sale (I just bought about $80 worth of Orange Roughy on sale for $8.99/# and will vacuum seal and freeze) to leftovers to making a big batch of something and freezing.  I made fresh marinara sauce last summer, vacuum sealed it and served it a few weeks ago.  Unbelievably fresh taste!

The salmon:

Sprinkle salmon filets w/ Chef Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning (or your seasoning of choice -- I think his is amazing!)

Vacuum seal the filets.  Allow to "marinate" for 15 minutes.

Hea****er to between 113 and 122 degrees.  (Very easy to maintain this temperature w/out any fancy equipment).

Submerge the vacuum sealed fillets (I have only done 2 at a time) in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cut open the bag and enjoy moist delicious salmon.

This is the only "sous vide" recipe I've tried since I don't have any of the equipment needed to do others but I understand it's a great way to cook.  Here's an interesting link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

HW -- 255.8#;  WW/pre-op lost 22.6#; CW -- 152.2#; GW 140#; 103.6# GONE FOREVER!

Candy S.
on 3/31/11 6:53 am - Elgin, SC
I love salmon and have a sealer too.  Can I get it too???
Height: 5'3" | HW: 262 | SW: 237 | CW: 130 | GW: 135

Judith K.
on 4/1/11 1:13 am
VSG on 05/15/10 with
I don't think the salmon would work w/out a vacuum sealer.  As an aside, I think a vacuum sealer is an indispensable kitchen tool.  Especially now that we eat so little.  Sealing/freezing anything from fresh thinks you buy on sale (I just bought about $80 worth of Orange Roughy on sale for $8.99/# and will vacuum seal and freeze) to leftovers to making a big batch of something and freezing.  I made fresh marinara sauce last summer, vacuum sealed it and served it a few weeks ago.  Unbelievably fresh taste!

The salmon:

Sprinkle salmon filets w/ Chef Paul Prudhomme's Salmon Seasoning (or your seasoning of choice -- I think his is amazing!)

Vacuum seal the filets.  Allow to "marinate" for 15 minutes.

Hea****er to between 113 and 122 degrees.  (Very easy to maintain this temperature w/out any fancy equipment).

Submerge the vacuum sealed fillets (I have only done 2 at a time) in the water for 15 to 20 minutes.

Cut open the bag and enjoy moist delicious salmon.

This is the only "sous vide" recipe I've tried since I don't have any of the equipment needed to do others but I understand it's a great way to cook.  Here's an interesting link for anyone who's interested.

http://www.cookingsousvide.com/

Candy S.
on 3/31/11 6:51 am - Elgin, SC
I use the steam bags or you can use a dish and cover it with saran wrap.  But I season it with wahtever seasining I want and put it in the bag and microwave it for about 3-4 minutes (frozen).  If it's fresh, of course it won't take that long.  It depends on the size and type of fish too.  I haven't done it with Talapia but I do it with cod quite frequently.  Very easy.  Good luck! 
Height: 5'3" | HW: 262 | SW: 237 | CW: 130 | GW: 135

Most Active
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 59 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 239 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 309 views