Dr Oz and the lapband show today, anyone see it?

sleeve genie
on 4/4/11 11:29 am - Alhambra, CA
I tape him everyday and came home and watched it.   They had a couple of doctors talking about now its been approved for people with 30lbs to lose as long as they have one co morbidity like diabetes or high blood pressure.   It was only about half of the show.  They had 2 gals that have a band.  One gal lost 180 lbs has had the band for 6yrs.  the other has had it for 6 months and lost 50lbs.   They showed what they eat,  the 6 month gal has 5-6 spoons of yogurt for breakfast,  a cup of clear soup for lunch and 5-6 spoons of pudding for dinner.  I couldn't do that,  no way.   I thought it was sad because they had one lady saying she didn't think it was a very good idea because of all the complications, and that insurance will only approve one bariatric surgery so if you have problems you have to pay for the removal.  They also didn't mention that all the fills/unfills are not covered by your insurance.  Then this doctor who has done 2,000 bands  poopooed her input.   I was a little disapointed that they didn't have people on  there who have had major issues and they didn't even mention that the life of the band in a perfect world is only 10 yrs so what happens then?  I wish he would do one on the sleeve   :o(  not enough people know about it imho   :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

njmom5870
on 4/4/11 11:33 am
WOW!  That sounds like a disppointing infomertial for the band.  I will have to watch it, considering I had the band removed and it was a nightmare.  Hopefully anyone considering the band will research and find out that 99 percent of people have some type of complications and over 30% have had theirs removed by the 5 year mark. 

I am sooo happy with the sleeve.  I have a normal life and have no horrible complications like before.
    Lap Band Surgery 7/29/09......Removal after full slip 10/29/09
    Sleeve surgery...life really began....1/3/11

sleeve genie
on 4/4/11 11:37 am - Alhambra, CA
I know i was so sad for the two gals on there who are considering the band and they are all gung ho now to get one.  I have no problem with anyone making whatever decision they want to i just hate that they didn't give all the facts.   People should know what they are getting themselves into then if you are willing to do it thats on you.   I feel so bad for them  :o(    I'm so happy for you.  Everyone i know that revised to the sleeve like you are so much happier.   :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

NewSkinnyChick30
on 4/4/11 12:10 pm - NY
I saw the show 2 and it was huge disappointment..i was like really only and half and hour about weight loss surgery and he only talked about the band..yea and those patients he had on they ummm they were joke..i so wish he do a show on the sleeve or the other weightloss sugery as well..cuz i know that band may work but its not for everybody..

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.
~Henry David Thoreau~

shantele7824
on 4/4/11 11:43 am - SAN PABLO, CA
I watched the Dr. Oz show and I was a little dissappointed, I felt it was very short and in my eyes he was promoting it.  I didn't like the two women (not personnaly) but how they in my eyes made it seem that the band was great.  The lady who was further out 6 yrs was in my eyes to big and I know that she is struggling she said so.  I wished that 30 pounds was all I needed to lose.  Anyway I thinkg that they glamorized the lap band a little too much but my opinion only.
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

SassyItalian
on 4/4/11 11:47 am, edited 4/4/11 11:48 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
After doing my research on the band I honestly felt used/taken advantage of that the first bariatric surgeon that saw me walked into the room and the first thing out of his mouth was "you're perfect for the lap-band, let's get you all set up"....I may have been "perfect for the lap-band" but after doing my research I realized that hunk-o-junk was not perfect for me! I never saw that surgeon again. And I got my VSG instead :)

I meant to tune in today but when I went to record it I realized all I would do is yell at the TV (validated by Jeani- apparently they only eat pudding or broth? WTF?! Who lives like that!?). I have been a little on edge and need to wooosahhh so I figured I wouldnt tune in.

Thanks for keeping us posted Jeani!

xo
Sassy

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/11 11:48 am
Man I hate I missed that show I thought I set my DVR oh well it will repeat.
_rebecca
on 4/4/11 11:51 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
Anyone that missed it, you can watch the clips on his website.  I was disappointed.  His experts even said that the "success" rate of the band is only 17-20% of a person's excess weight at two+ years. Doesn't sound very successful to me.  He should have let me go on the show and talk about the complications of the band!  Also, the amount of food he showed those band patients eating is a joke.  I guarantee they eat more than five spoons of yogurt and some broth.   Plus, if that is all the patients were eating, why only a 50 pounds weight loss in six months?  I really wish he would dedicate a show to the sleeve, the weight loss tool that works!!!!
LittleMissSunshine
on 4/4/11 11:58 am
How disappointing.  One of the things my surgeon said during my consult with him is that he thinks that the VSG is going to be the preferred WLS method within a few years.  He said right now the only real blocker to the numbers of people getting it increasing is that a lot of insurance companies still consider it investigational and won't cover it.  He said once they do, he thinks the VSG numbers will go up and LapBand numbers will go down... there are just so many that go with the band because their choices are limited to that and the bypass.

Still though, sounds to me like Dr. Oz is a sell out.  Admittedly, I don't follow him at all and know nothing about him other than the ads I've seen for his show, but this definitely sounds like he's more interested in pimping the band than in making sure people are well informed.

Blog | Join me on HealthyWage | Friend me on MyFitnessPal

Valerie K.
on 4/4/11 12:01 pm - Dearborn, MI
OK there are 5 people at my work with the band. Out of the 5 there is only 1 person that lost 90 lbs but that person has now gained 50lbs back. The others do not go and get it filled so they are not loosing weight now.

There are 3 people at my work with the RNY and they have only lost 100 lbs they need to loose more they say but are to far out and can not loose or do not want to loose any more they are sick of it.

Than there is me the only one with the vsg. I have been off work for 8 weeks now. I have lost 21lbs from the last time they all saw me. I went to work and they were all in shock. The Band people want the VSG now and want my doctors number lol. I had a great day at work hearing they say  wow though we had a new girl in town and them saying Valerie is that really you lol.  There is a friend of mine getting her VSG April 13Th I am so excited for her. She will be the second one at work with this wls.

The RNY people have asked me how in the hell I have lost so much I told them I work out 6 days a week now that I can and I do  not eat crap or drink pop which they both do. And the band people do the same. I asked them why would you have major surgery if they did not want to change the way they eat. I did not get an answer.
My surgeon gave me the tool. Now it is up to me to use it right.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 132 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 390 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 422 views