Feeling Overwhelmed

maxie1
on 4/5/11 10:48 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
ok here goes, My name is Susan i have posted a little but not much.  I have had all my procedures done nut, endoscopy, psych, joined a gym, had first consult with surgeon and etc.   Now my next appt will be on 4/25/11 and will have my surgery date if all tests and consults were o.k.   I want this surgery I need this surgery I am 47 years old, diabetic, bmi 52, high blood pressure and etc.  My whole life has been eating foods that I shouldn't and portion control is very hard for me.
  I am trying to make adjustments now and am having a hard time.  I've been reading all your inputs and now I need some for myself.  Any suggestions on how I can do this I would appreciate it very much. I know I will feel 100 percent better once I get started but I need more will power than I think I have.   Thanks for the help.
susan                                                                                                
sleeve genie
on 4/5/11 10:52 am - Alhambra, CA
Pre op is pretty challenging.   It can be hard to eat the small portions that is recommended.  Once you get the surgery and have a nice small tummy it is so much easier to eat less.   You will be full on a much smaller portion.   You can do this and will be so happy after the first month.  Hang in there, whatever we have to go through to get this great gift is so well worth it  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

maxie1
on 4/5/11 10:55 am - PA
RNY on 06/10/13
thanks sleeve genie,  I was waiting to here from you.  I read all your advice to people and it always makes sense and makes me really think on things.  
susan                                                                                                
Jenijeni
on 4/5/11 10:53 am
Maxie! You can most definitely do this! My overeating was always because I LOVE the taste of food. Portions? What portions? Lol... So, let me say that AFTER surgery, I am doing great. No problem with portion control... My sleeve is my portion control!! I still cook, make snacks for kids (although healthier), bake, etc. I just eat little teeny portions and am STUFFED! Have faith that you are making the healthiest choice for you! You CAN succeed!! PM me anytime you want to talk!

HW: 250 SW: 224 GW: 135 CW: 124

loolootoo
on 4/5/11 10:55 am
three things come to mind that really helped me in that pre-pre-op phase.

i searched and tasted and found 'the perfect protein shake' for me.   this was quite a big project and it really made a huge difference during the actual pre-op diet phase and of course post-op.  i still use the shake....love love love it.

i searched and tasted and found 'the perfect vitamins' for me.  there are so many options.  and again this was extremely helpful as the time came for the pre-op and post-op times.

i searched and found  'the perfec****er bottles' for me including shaker cups and measuring cups and accessories.  it was simply so much easier afterwords to have everything on hand.

perhaps some of these suggestions might help you.

heathermc44
on 4/5/11 11:06 am - Bremerton, WA
 You can do this like everything else you've done in your life - by taking one step at a time.  This can be a very daunting decision to make but one most of us on here feel saved our lives, literally.  This decision should come with a lot of thought, soul searching, self doubt and sadness.  It should not be an easy decision because you really need to make sure you understand what you are getting in to and have all the tools in place to be successful and make good choices for the rest of your life.

While it is a difficult decision it's also an incredible journey once you've had the surgery.  it is incredible to see the weight literally falling off and it is incredible to be wearing clothes you only thought possible in your dreams.  It's also an incredible feeling when people you've known for a very long time literally walk right past you because they don't recognize you.  

Just take it one day at a time.  Stay on the boards and read and do your research.  

Good luck to you!

catwalker
on 4/5/11 11:18 am - Buna, TX
I didnt have to have a preop diet and when I woke up I didn't care about cokes or fried food and haven't had any problems other than grazing too much now that I'm 12  months out but even that is healthy snacking.

If you can just make small changes, eat on a smaller plate, try to make healthy choices and walk some if you have time. Just take it one day at a time and don't be too hard on yourself. Wanting the surgery and the desire to lose weight is what saw me through the pos-top and new life long eating habits. Your surgery will be soon so take stock, make to do lists clean closets ...lol-anything to stay busy and suceed.
You CAN do this,we are here for you.  your desire for the surgery is the biggest movitator for making the sleeve work for you. HUGS!!!
mylastchance
on 4/5/11 11:20 am
Welcome to making the best decision of your life.  This is such a wonderful journey.  We all relate to your story.  It is funny we go into this wanting the surgery to lose weight,  we find then that the Dr. wants us to lose a certain amount of weight before he will do the surgery.........what?????  that is my problem.....huh????  Well then we realize ......... okay I can do this,  it is a hoop we need to jump through,  you will find the strength to do this.  This is that important that the strength in us takes over and we all do whatever it takes to get to a better life.  Better health is so worth it,  to be here for our families, to enjoy the things in life that make it worth living.  No more hiding,  no sitting out of activities because we can't do it, no avoiding the world..........jump in and have a blast.

Hang in there and you will be sitting here on the losers bench telling us all about how your experience was.  It is nice to hear every ones different story and find new ways to get through difficult times.

Good luck to you on your journey,  I will look forward to updates about your progress.  You will do great.

"I COULD HAVE MISSED THE PAIN BUT I'D OF HAD TO MISS THE DANCE"
             I have missed too many dances in my life now it is time to start living
5' 1"

wert
on 4/5/11 11:26 am - MN
Does your doctor require you to lose a certain amount of weight? If so, I guess you'll have to do it. If not, don't worry about it. After surgery it'll just kind of happen. 

5'5"  Age 63  HW 212  SW 200 Currently 8 pounds below goal
Jacque 

aaron0766
on 4/5/11 3:24 pm - OH
It is rough, no lie.  It is worth it though.  I have some of the same health conditions as you.  I have been on my two week pre-op liquid diet and have not taken any meds for my diabetes.  It is wonderful not having to stick needles in your tummy all the time.  Everytime you feel like giving up, think about freedom.  How much you would fight for your freedom from an enemy and know that this weight and the foods you choose is your enemy.  They are not your friends.  They are comforts for sure, but of no use to you.  Since I have not been able to medicate with food, I see just how much I relied on it to feel better.  Some people drink, smoke, take drugs.  I used food and never even knew it.  The best way to find out is to listen to your body.  My boss upset me the other day and I immediately felt a hunger pang.  Tell me that is not all in your head.  Since I didn't have  my coping mechanism, I had to rely on my own and God's strength.  You will come through this wishing you had taken control much earlier in life.  I only hope I can reverse the damage I have done to myself over the years.  Remember  this world needs you in it.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 72 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 269 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 329 views