I can't stand water! Help.

Elena22
on 4/7/11 12:44 am

Plain water is making me gag.  I overdosed on crystal light and now can't stand the aftertaste of it. So the past week I've been drinking my new fav drink, Gatorade! However, while it may be helping me stay hydrated, I think I'm retaining water from the sodium in it.  This morning my feet were a little swollen, and I had a little pain when I first woke up that hinted of urinary tract pain.  So I'm pretty sure sthat I've got to get off of the gatorade.  What else can I drink?

~ Elena.

USAF Wife
on 4/7/11 12:48 am
Have you tried the G2 or Powerade Zero?

You can add cucumber, melon, lemon, lime slices to your water, let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours and let the fruit leach into the water and see if that helps.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 12:50 am
MIO water enhancer is excellent Made by KRAFT can be foudn next to teh Crystal Light

Also I enjoy the Vitamin Water ZERO
felicity2u
on 4/7/11 12:51 am - LA
I like to add just a slice of lemon to my water just to give it some taste because I, like you, was getting very sick of the crystal light and it just became too sweet.  The lemon gives is some flavor without the sweetness.  If I need a little sweetness, I just add one pack of splenda to my water just to give it some sore of "taste", it really helps.  Also, I bought an Mr. Coffee, ice tea maker, that way I can make tea and make it as sweet or not sweet as I want.  Hope this helps! Good luck on your journey!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

George B.
on 4/7/11 12:51 am - Miami, FL
Post-op plain water made me gag also. Try as I might I could not drink enough to keep me hydrated.

I found that if I add just a little Crystal Light or a squeeze of lemon I could drink a lot of water. I also add a slash of Motts Reduced Sugar Apple Juice to water. The small amount of flavor allows me to drink a lot of water as it changes the tension in plain water.

I quickly tired of sweet and bought Crystal Light Grapefruit flavor and fresh lemons. I just add enough to flavor the water but not the entire packet. Using a straw also helps me drink more.

Keeping hydrated is important and something I still struggle with.

Good luck,
George

(deactivated member)
on 4/7/11 12:53 am
I like Propel Zero and sometimes I add unsweetened cranberry/concord grape juice to it to make it more palatable when I get tired of it.  I also like those MIP liquid squirts that you add to bottles of water.  I think the thing is to vary your liquids so you don't get burned out on them.  I used to love water but after surgery it seems to have a metallic taste, hopefully that will change later because I used to love the crisp cold taste of plain water. 
Kelby F.
on 4/7/11 12:55 am - Minot, ND
I loved... past tense... I OD'ed on it, but I loved Powerade Zero.. epsecially the blue one!

Also, just adding some lemon or lime to your water helps alot.

~Kelby~       HW: 356 SW: 330 CW:231 GW: 175 I'm 5'6"

"Success means having the courage, the determination, and the will to become the person you believe you were meant to be."

DragonGirl
on 4/7/11 1:08 am - MN
You can also try True Lemon or True Lime packets. They're kind of cool, cuz it isn't always convenient to have a slice of lemon with you. There are no calories and it's actual crystalized lemon or lime. I found them at my grocery store and I think you can order them on line. Just Google True Lemon.
  Age 49 Height 5'5" HW/280 SW/250 CW/157  
Behind every success is effort...Behind every effort is passion...Behind every passion is someone with the courage to try.
b_stewart
on 4/7/11 1:14 am
What I have been doing is mixing it up.  I may drink 12 oz of crystal lite, another 12 of water with lemon, 12 of decaf tea, 12 of plain water etc.  I try not to over do on any one flavor or product as i too get tired of the same flavor after awhile.
This the day the LORD hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.          
AGE 60  HIGH/W 330  PROGRAM/W 252  SURGICAL/W 210 GOAL/W 165
Lina P.
on 4/7/11 1:15 am - Bolton, Canada
Warm tea has been my saviour. Any of the decaffeinated teas and there are so many yummy flavours to choose!
Height: 5 ft - Age: 42
Bougie size: 36 oversewn to 34  
 CW: 135 lbs
Happy in the 130's but... On to my second goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 102 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 326 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 370 views