Nioxin or the off brand

Meginsf
on 4/7/11 6:28 am - WA
So im wondering if the off brand of nioxin works just as well? I read the other night that theres accually an off brand for nioxin witch i didnt know before. Does anyone have any experience with it??
  Starting weight 320 weight a preop 300 Current weight 198 goal weight 160  
Lilypie Maternity tickers
USAF Wife
on 4/7/11 6:31 am
Most of the ladies that have used it all reported all it did was dry out there hair, increased breakage and didn't help with regrowth. Some used the name brand, others used the generic. I have zero personal experience, but after 2 years of floating around here, I've never read one positive review of this stuff for hair loss after WLS.
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MN_Mama
on 4/7/11 7:08 am
I was told to take Biotin.  Does that help?
USAF Wife
on 4/7/11 7:40 am
It can help with regrowth, but you're going to experience hair loss nothing can prevent it. It's inevitable for most of us.

I lost half of my hair by volume, and it's since has grown back. It started falling out around 3.5 months post-op and last 3 months.

No amount of protein, snake oils, potions, shampoos, lotions, vitamins, anything will stop the shedding.

Here's a couple of articles on it:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4347455/Hair-Loss-in-Weight-Loss-Surgery-Patients/

http://www.aocd.org/skin/dermatologic_diseases/telogen_effluvium.html
Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

MN_Mama
on 4/7/11 9:53 am
Thanks.  Good article, but heck on a stick!!  I already have very fine hair, and not very dense.  I just hope I don't go bald faster than my Husband!  :)
heathermc44
on 4/7/11 7:30 am - Bremerton, WA

IMHO, nothing really works.  I've tried Nioxin, did nothing.  Tried the Biotin, nothing.  Order Ovation, nothing.  If your hair is going to fall out, it is just going to fall out and no amount of anything will help, except for adequate protein.  I've heard your hair falls out mainly because of having the surgery then the actual decrease in protein.  All your body's reserves go to the healing process then to the nonessentials like hair and nail growth.  Some people have reported their hair hardly falls out while other's have said they have bald patches.  I think it is such an individual process that it's hard to really plan for it.

Hope this helps and that you can spend your money on other things.

KrisJ77
on 4/7/11 7:36 am - TX
Wonder if prenatal vitamins would help....just a thought.

Dandy_DeeDee
on 4/7/11 7:45 am, edited 4/7/11 7:46 am
I was informed that once your hair goes into telogen phase that there is nothing you can do to prevent the upcoming hair loss.  I was also informed that your hair goes into telogen phase due to the surgery (any surgery not just weight loss) and we are so lucky because we get double whammied with a second cause which is our rapid weight loss. 

As for the vitamins and minerals and protein, they will all help with the eventual regrowth but not with the hair loss phase... *POUTS* *Giggles* 

Oh and to answer the question about the shampoo and/or conditioner made by Nioxin vs. a generic brand, well I've only tried Nioxin not the generic brand and honestly, I swear it made my hair's telogen phase turn on and the hair started falling out faster...but then again, I am exactly 3 and a half months out so the hair loss is right on schedule to what my surgeon predicted so it probably has nothing to do with the Nioxin at all! *Giggles*    However, I personally prefer using Infusium shampoo, conditionner and leave-in conditionner for damaged hair, it leaves my hair feeling way healthier than Nioxin.... Actually Nioxin was drying out my hair, just like someone else mentioned.

Highest Registered Weight 369 lbs (but I weighed more, just didn't have a scale! *Giggles*)
Surgery 12/23/10 - 313 lbs Then had a 6 lb gain from having surgery! So I went up to 319
Current Registered Weight 208 lbs   “Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.” ~ Kahlil Gibran          

Meginsf
on 4/7/11 2:22 pm - WA
Thank you :-) i didnt buy any of the shampoos i was just asking. Iv noticed that i have a lot more dandrif sence the surgery. so anyway im on the hunt for something that doesnt cause dandrif
  Starting weight 320 weight a preop 300 Current weight 198 goal weight 160  
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 63 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 246 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 314 views