need a little help from my friends! protein shake suggestions needed

sleeve genie
on 4/16/11 3:21 am - Alhambra, CA
Hello all , i hope everyone is having a great weekend.   Well, just in case by some strange twist of fate you don't me, (I'm on here all the time so i can't imagine, but you never know)  let me say that i have been struggling for the past few months,  have had 2 - 2 months stalls :o( i know that its completely my own doing and even tho i complain that i have a bigger sleeve, the truth is i make bad food choices some of the time.  So my new plan of attack is to go back to basics and i still have some protein powder (synthrax nectar) - but it doesn't fill me up,  or it doesn't satisfy me. Is there a protein shake that i can buy at the store that will satisfy me as a meal?  i  really want to do the shakes again, but the one i have i am still hungry :o(  any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I would love to lose this last 15 lbs  thanks guys  you all rock  :o) Jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Herbie55
on 4/16/11 3:33 am - MI
I've been doing pre-op shakes and have found that the powdered work better than the canned. I like the Body Fortress Vanilla from Walmart mixed with skim milk. I have one in the morning for breakfast and it holds me until lunchtime.
sleeve genie
on 4/16/11 3:36 am, edited 4/16/11 3:37 am - Alhambra, CA
Thanks  that's so cool.  I have been looking online at walmart and wondered if this brand was any good.  I appreciate your response   :o)  jeani

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Mom4Jazz
on 4/16/11 3:40 am
I don't know where to get them in stores, but the Unjury chicken flavored powder is such a break from the sweet stuff. I mix it according to the directions but add a pack of sodium free chicken bullion to make the flavor better.

Another suggestion: Get Campbell's Soup at Hand any chicken flavor, cook as instructed, dump it in a bowl (make sure it has cooled enough that it's not steaming) and add a scoop to that. Presto: high protein chicken soup. I even like it in tomato soup.

I guess you could even do the same thing with unflavored, which might be easier to find locally.

I'm on pre-op diet. I had been on 2 shakes and a meal up until 2 weeks pre-surgery, now on a liquid diet. I got SOOOOOOOO sick of dessert flavored shakes; having chicken flavored is heavenly - like eating (OK drinking) a real meal.

OT: Surgery Monday. Gotta be there at 5:30 AM. Yikes. Am I ready?
sleeve genie
on 4/16/11 3:44 am - Alhambra, CA
You're ready baby,  this will  be the best thing you ever did for yourself.  I had to be there at 5:30 too for an 11 am surgery  :o(  didn't get to the OR until noon,  but oh well,  i wouldn't have been sleeping at home anyway.  Congratulations  walk, sip, rest and repeat.  Be really good to yourself that first month :o) jeani

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Ladydivigirl
on 4/16/11 3:45 am
You're ready!!!

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
Ladydivigirl
on 4/16/11 3:42 am
Jeani, u r always on here encouraging and helping others. I love your positive attitude... I use the Jay Robb protein shakes...I find them filling, but I also drink a lot of fluids, so I don't know if it's just the shake or the combo of the shakes and all the liquids that give me the full feeling. Hope you find one that works. Oh, I also like the Unjury shakes-alll the flavors, but especially the chocolate mixed with PB2. Have a great weekend..

"The will of God will not take me where the GRACE of God cannot protect me!"    
Cindy G.
on 4/16/11 3:52 am - Kincheloe, MI
Hi Jeani.  I like the Atkins Advantage especially when they are good and cold.  You can get them at Walmart.  They are very filling and 15 grams of protein.  Hope you find something you like.  I know you'll get those last few pounds off!  You're such an encourager, it is nice to be able to share our favorite finds with you.  : )            Cindy

HW 310 SW 287 GW 150    
(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 4:02 am
VSG on 03/14/11 with
I agree with the others in that you are so helpful and encouraging to all. I hope you get over these humps and get those last 15 nipped in the bud! I haven't tried many brands but love my CVS and Target brand powered shakes. I never hear anyone mention those brands on here, but they meet all of the nutritional requirements and I have two a day.

Wishing you much, much luck!!!! J
michellemj
on 4/16/11 4:04 am
Hi Jeani-

I love the About Time powder. According to their website, GNC stores carry it as well as select health stores (www.tryabouttime.com/locator) but I've always ordered it from their website or Nettrition.com. I drink a shake for breakfast (my fav flavors are the chocolate and mocha mint) every AM and I mix it with 4-6oz of unsweetened almond milk, 1 TBS PB2 and 1/2 TBS flax seed (to help keep me regular...). I have huge issues with hunger, but this seems to keep me satisified for a good 3-4 hrs.

I also like the cinnamon swirl and strawberry mixed into greek yogurt.

To also combat hunger, I highly recommend Sublimate's recipes. She has a great "sleeve buster" chicken salad that I rely on to get me through my super hungry days. Here's a link to her blog where she has posted them.

Hang in there! Stalls are awful, but you can lose that last 15!

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 75 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 277 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 331 views