carbonate x citrate

Donnie4strings
on 4/16/11 9:32 am - MI
Hi everyone, hope this finds you well.  This has been addressed here many times, but I have to bring it up again.  I asked my wife to pick up chewy calcium for me without thinking to mention about the citrate requirement.  So she brought home some gummies that are calcium carbonate.  I HATE to waste them or throw them out, so my question is, while I know they are not optimum, will they HURT anything if I use this bottle for my calcium supplement?  Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Donnie

sassyscorpio
on 4/16/11 9:47 am
I don't think it will hurt anything but you probably won't absorb it . Everything I have been told is we
don't absorb carbonate.

band 12-29-06     revision  to sleeve  Alberto Aceves  4-29-09

I love my sleeve!!

Lost 107 lbs and maintaining

Posted Image

thisbe777
on 4/16/11 11:01 am
i bought a huge bottle of calcium carbonate just before surgery...  the nut told me not to worry about it and go ahead and take it so as not to waste it... but recommended calicum citrate the next time around...

just for info - bariatric advantage has calcium citrate chews in several flavors...   they are yummy!   i get the raspberry and chocolate on autoship....

jeris

To live would be an awfully big adventure -- Peter Pan

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 11:50 am - Germantown, MD
 Also, fortunately for you, you are a man. :P Your calcium requirements aren't going to be the same as they are for women. But, yes, if you've already opened them and can't return them, I'd just take them and make sure to get citrate next time. I am taking Citracal petites + D now. They're easier to swallow than the regular citracal pills. 

You will get SOME benefit from the carbonate. It's just that calcium carbonate requires a more acidic environment for absorption than citrate does. There have been more recommendations that most people take citrate as it's supposed to be more readily absorbable though you'll read conflicting reports about that.
MediumSoon
on 4/16/11 12:28 pm - TX
Take it with something with vitamin C. That will help.

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 1:00 pm - Germantown, MD
 Vitamin C helps iron absorption. I haven't heard of it helping calcium before. Does it?
MediumSoon
on 4/16/11 1:19 pm - TX
 Yes.  Can't swear to it but I think part of the "citrate" refers to vitamin c.

(deactivated member)
on 4/16/11 1:24 pm - Germantown, MD
 The citrate part refers to citric acid which isn't the same thing as Vitamin C.
MediumSoon
on 4/17/11 3:58 am - TX
 Thanks for the correction :)

(deactivated member)
on 4/17/11 6:05 am - Germantown, MD
 LOL, no worries. I thought maybe you knew something I didn't. I do know taking vitamin C with certain forms of iron aids the absorption. My iron supplement has vitamin c already added for that purpose.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 68 views