goal weight?? Too have/not to have

shantele7824
on 4/20/11 2:35 am - SAN PABLO, CA
Ok guys I am just wondering.  I am having surgery on May 3rd and I am very excited but I have a question just to see what others feel about this.  I don't have a weight goal I want to achieve.  What I mean is you know how ppl set goals for themselves " I want to be 150" I honestly don't want to set one for myself but is that bad.  I have goals I want to achieve but I for some reason have not set or want to set a goal weight.  
First Meeting with Surgeon:2/10/2011  weight was 460
Surgery Date:5/03/2011  Weight was 428
Revsion To RNY 06/26/2012 Weight 

Jennchap
on 4/20/11 2:39 am - CA
 I totally get how you feel. I set one just cause I wanted a ticker but I feel like I wont know my goal weight till I am there maybe Ill be happy at 160, maybe at 130? I have no idea till I experience it, ya know?

HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

shantele7824
on 4/20/11 3:37 am - SAN PABLO, CA
I didnt grow up fat but I am almost 33 years old, I don't really know what I will look like at 150 or 170 I know at some point I weighed that but I don't know.

katier825
on 4/20/11 2:53 am
I plucked a number out of the air (140), but I really would just prefer to be in a "Normal" BMI range.
shantele7824
on 4/20/11 3:40 am - SAN PABLO, CA
I hear you, I am going to look and see what a normal bmi is for me

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 3:57 am
I'm having my VS on May 4th and I've been thinking about this also. Way back before I started to gain weight I weighed 140ish and was considered thin.  After 13 years and two kids later I am going to see where my body takes me.  I want to be a comfortable weight that will be easy to maintain.
Margo N.
on 4/20/11 3:59 am
I set a somewhat arbitrary goal weight, that was a few pounds below the upper limit for a normal BMI - my more important goals were about lowering blood pressure, sugar and cholesterol, reducing arthritis pain, being able to move, exercise, paint my nails, and fit into a size 12 or below.

I still haven't hit goal weight, but I have acheived every single other goal that I set in terms of the appearance, size, health and functionality of my body. So, if I don't make it to goal, I am not too stressed, although my surgeon does want me to get to 165 and I am continuing to eat healthily, exercise, etc, so I may get there yet!
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

quintons_mommy200

on 4/20/11 4:23 am
I fought the idea of having a certain weight I wanted to weigh.. mostly because I don't want to set myself up to feel like I've failed if I end up very comfortable with being 5 or 10 pounds higher than I had decided was the final goal.. however.. I decided to put the higher end of a healthy BMI (which at 5'3 is 140) because I also don't want to allow myself to mess around and get in a bad place in my head where I don't lose  the weight I want to lose because I convince myself that because I was always over 200- even 199 is better than I've ever done. I want a bit of pressure so I stay motivated and on track. 

I have been over 200 pounds since I was 12 (maybe before, I can't find records any earlier.. but I konw that at 12 years old I was 221).. and so I have no idea at all what I look like anywhere near skinny..

Good luck, and remember, YOU get to set your own personal goals. You also have the power to decide to change them if you find you're not happy or getting frustrated by the goals you have set for youself.

MN_Mama
on 4/20/11 4:32 am
So glad you asked, Shantele.  I too picked a number out of the blue so I could have a ticker to watch.  I have no idea what my goal should be outside of: able to walk around tall buildings in a single day, keep up with my husband on a camping trip, lower blood pressure, BMI, blood sugars, cardiac risks, etc.  
I am older, 51 years now, and shorter, 5'-10 1/2" after being 6' tall in college, had 2 pregnancies, etc...  I will have to ask the doctor at my next checkup to see what he recommends. 
The funniest thing???? I have the ticker....but my home scale doesn't go up far enough for me (YET), so I have to wait until the end of the month to see if I have a new and hopefully improved update for it!!   Go figure.   
Best of luck on your surgery.  Let us know how you're doing.

BuckeyeGirl
on 4/20/11 4:55 am - TN
I, like a lot of other posters, randomly picked a number on the higher end of the normal BMI range for me.  I basically wanted a ticker, but (as evidenced by Brandilynn's post earlier today) BMI is not the total picture. Basically, just a starting point. I figure I'll recognize "goal" when I get there! lol

Best of luck,
Lindsey

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 71 views