When were you up and getting out after surgery???

Susan0714
on 4/21/11 1:15 pm - Kenner, LA
I have had to postpone my surgery. I was suppose to have it on May 2nd, self payer. I just found out on Monday that my husband's insurance will pay for the surgery, we JUST signed up for the insurance, so it will not take effect until June 1st.

I am back in school, and I am taking two classes in the summer, one is online, the other is a lab class Monday and Wednesday nights 6-9.

I had planned to have the surgery in May, BEFORE summer school started, and the insurance changed that.

Anyway, I have read on the boards lately (past few days), about a lot of people having problems, or just not having any energy after they have gotten home from the hospital.

Could you tell me, when you guys got home from the hospital, when were you able to get in your car and drive, or when did you feel like you could go somewhere on your own  (i.e. grocery store, or department store)? I am concerned I will not have the enegry to go to this lab class, and if I miss more then two days, I will not be able to catch up..

Thanks for your help with this matter.

Susan

buxom_blossom
on 4/21/11 1:21 pm
VSG on 04/12/11 with
 I'm just over a week out and today was the first day I ventured out of my house.  I just walked downtown to meet a friend for tea.  I wasn't gone long and was absolutely exhausted and in pain when I got home.  I find I have a false sense of how well I'm feeling while resting at home. I'm planning on laying low for another week.  I haven't driven yet. 
I'm 5'10"  -   HW 264 lbs  -  lost 9lbs pre-op diet -  SW 255 lbs  

sleeve genie
on 4/21/11 1:21 pm - Alhambra, CA
I was told i could drive once i stopped taking the pain meds.  Went to the store at one week out.  Went back to work at two weeks out.  Too bad about the postponement but great news that the insurance will cover it for you.  I'm sure you'll find other things to do with the money  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Don24348
on 4/21/11 1:22 pm - Hawaiian Gardens, CA
I was not able to drive for 2 weeks after surgery. I had to have someone drive me to my follow up ar vist. Ask your dr how long before u can drive after surgery.

Start of Kasier Optifast program

Highest 399
Start of kasier options 377 3-10
Surgery 362 12-7-10
back home  352 12-11-10  
12-16-10  338
01-01-11  323
02-01-11  314
03-01-11  310
03-13-11  304  
03-20-11  302
06-08-11  301 6 Months since surgery
Kristy R.
on 4/21/11 1:23 pm - Santa Clara, CA
 I was driving after 6 days, went to work in 7 days.  My energy has been fine.  But, we can all tell you our experiences, you will have your own experience.  Everyone is totally different.  Good luck :)
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

Elaine H.
on 4/21/11 1:26 pm
If you can look over your left shoulder and are off pain meds, you can drive. I was lucky never needed any pain meds and the gas did not settle in my neck, just the left shoulder. I drove a few days later.
Momof2Sweeties
on 4/21/11 1:27 pm - NJ
I was 6 days post op and cleared to drive..so excited about that I immediately went shopping and boy was that a mistake..It physically just wore me the heck out...I was also and am currently in school and would have my husband drop me off to miniimize the walking. Everyone is different, but for me, at 2 weeks I felt physically fine to do shopping and liberal walking.

Shannon

annie_mo
on 4/21/11 1:45 pm - Sullivan, MO
 I had surgery on a Thursday......stayed in the hospital a few days....drove five miles to Wal Mart on Sunday. Yeah, I was tired for several weeks. But, my daughter was 2 at the time and I didnt have the luxury of resting. lol

Congrats on getting the insurance. That has to feel great! 

5'5 HW 238 / SW 198 / GW 130 / CW 119....Goal Reached in 8 short months..
Meg1Pat2
on 4/21/11 1:58 pm - TX
VSG on 04/12/11 with
I am 9 days out and back to normal routine 100%

lovelyluckylady 12345
on 4/21/11 2:02 pm
VSG on 05/31/12
Have you asked the insurance company if they will reimburse you if you self pay now? Some go back 3 months. I would def call and talk to them.
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views