Is Neosporin on Incision Sites Bad?

ahleeeshah
on 4/24/11 2:44 am
I'm just under a week out of surgery, and most of the glue on my incisions has come off. All of the cuts are doing fine, nothing has opened up or become infected, and I'm wondering if it's okay to put Neosporin on the cuts and cover them with a band-aid.

I'm reading conflicting things online. Some people say it's fine, others say it messes with the healing process, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. My mom said that during her gallbladder removal they told her not to put Neosporin on the incision sites. My doctors notes only say don't put any on over the glue, nothing about not putting it on once the glue is gone.

Anyone got any advice?

P.S. as an update, I'm doing just fine! Getting in about 80 grams of protein and maybe 45 ounces of liquids every day. I'm ridiculously sick of protein, but I've reached onederland! I'm down 27 pounds since my diet started, and 10 since surgery!

cabcab
on 4/24/11 2:50 am
VSG on 01/06/11 with
I would really talk to your doctor before doing anything like that.  I don't think it would be a good idea since your incisions seem to be doing what they're supposed to be doing - healing.  I would think a bandaid would block it from the air.

Defintitely talk to your doctor first for sure.

HW: 335.  SW: 318.  CW: 161.0.  Height 5'8.  Age 43.

Fortworthrealtor
on 4/24/11 3:15 am - TX
I put it on my three times a day and didn't have any problems
sleeve genie
on 4/24/11 3:21 am - Alhambra, CA
I was told not to put anything on them :o(   about a month out my daughter gave me something for scaring but they were completly healed by then.  Good job but maybe try getting in a little more fluids,  they say minimum of 64 oz and you do pee the fat away  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Monica W.
on 4/24/11 3:24 am - TX
I used the Neosporin faithfully every time  I changed my bandages which was twice a day. I used the clear not the cream, the cream stuck to my wounds. The band-aides were a bust for me, they caused blisters on my skin which left scars  so i was better off with gauze and tape, but yes the neosporin has helped the scars heal wonderfully....

Meg1Pat2
on 4/24/11 5:36 am - TX
VSG on 04/12/11 with
I would leave open to air.  I bought Vit E ointment mixed with Aloe at GNC for 1.99 $

As soon as my steri strips came off, I started to apply 2-3 times a day, massaging the area.

I have firm "lumps" under the skin of my incisions, this regime  seems to keep everything loosened
up and my incisions look great, the ends of them are disappearing.  I am a nurse and
have seen many incisions.  Once the "scabs" form, or there are no open areas, leave
open to air, anything under a bandage can collect germs. 

hollyoosa
on 4/24/11 12:21 pm
VSG on 04/07/11 with
My doc says nothing on the wound until you are at least 15 days out he talked about neosporin healing so efficiently that it can trap bacteria in a puncture wound which is essentially what we have.
 How does one become a butterfly??
“You must want to fly so much that you are willing to give up being a caterpillar.?
-Hope for Flowers

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views