Walking After Surgery

Susan0714
on 4/30/11 3:54 am - Kenner, LA
Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone is having a nice weekend so far.. I just had a quick question about walking after surgery.. When you guys walked outside after surgery, did you just walk maybe up and down the block, and did you have someone with you, in the beginning?

My husband works sometimes in the morning, and sometimes at night, and I was just wondering if you were okay, to walk by yourself after surgery.. I have three dogs, that we walk twice a day now on long walks.. I know my big dog, I will not be able to walk, but my little ones, stay right next to me when we walk so I can walk them off leash..

I have a friend, that said she will help me, if I need anyone to walk with after surgery, and will help me with my big dog.. I know everyone feels different, and has different reactions to walking and other things, after the surgery.. But, again just wanted your feedback on what you did?

Thank you so much,,

Susan
LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Crimson
on 4/30/11 4:01 am - MD
 I had my surgery on april 26, started walking in the hospital the next morning. when i came home the same day, i was doing stairs and just walking around the house. started doing outside walking on friday (just around the block), and that ironically tired me out. if you can tolerate it, i don't see why you can't walk your smaller dog in the neighborhood.

much luck!
BriarRose
on 4/30/11 4:02 am
The first few days, I walked up and back on my driveway...then around the few houses at the end of my cul-de-sac ! ( I live at the end). Once I felt like I was balanced ( anesthesia always makes me a bit loopy for a few days !) I walked my Great Dane up and down the street in the afternoons when there were other people around. My Dane walks well on a training collar (she knows she can't pull on that !) and was very concerned about me. I only was worried that a cat or small dog might dart out, and cause her to pull or try to run. If you dog will give chase, I'd have someone else handle the lead for a week or so.
Briar Rose  
High Wt 300 lbs.  Pre-op Wt loss 34 lbs.   
Susan0714
on 4/30/11 4:42 am - Kenner, LA
Thank you Crimson and BriarRose,  @ BriarRose my Dane is like yours and will pull if a cat or another dog is around to chase (the cat), and play with the dog..

My schnauzers will be fine.. Thank you so much for your answers.. I know that they will have me walking that night after surgery, I have been told, (by a nurse friend), that at the hospital, they try to do it that night..(because of clots).. 

I know that at times, I take the dogs out, and we just go for a little walk up three houses and back.. I am sure that once I have the surgery, and I am home, I will know more what my body is letting me do and not do.. 

Thanks,

Susan

Mr Mom
on 4/30/11 5:30 am
I walked all around the ward while I was in the hospital.
I started about 4 hours post-op. The nurses followed me as I took it slow at first but soon I was doing it on my own. Anytime I got up to go to the bathroom I did a lap or two around the ward. I had some trapped surgical gas under my ribs so I was trying to make it go away as soon as possible.
When I got home I slept, drank, & walked (repeat). I found that I had a ton of energy so the walking around the house was good therapy for me while I healed.
Walk, Walk, Walk, it does a body good.... Craig

Heaviest:406 | Surgical Weight:366 | Current Weight:290 | Goal Weight:250

PaulaS
on 4/30/11 7:51 am, edited 4/30/11 7:52 am - TX
I had my surgery on Wednesday and they got me up hours after the surgery to walk. I walked circles in the ward at the hospital until I was discharged Saturday. And, they would get me up during the night to walk. Sunday I walked outside, but not too far. But Monday I started walking a mile every day. Now we walk 2 to 2.5 miles a day. My hubby goes with me, but not because he is afraid I will fall, but because he needs it too! (He probably was worried at first, though.)
Good luck!

Highest weight, 248#
Surgery weight, 236#
Current weight, 138#
Susan0714
on 4/30/11 8:10 am - Kenner, LA
Thank you guys.. I know that my hubby is staying with me in the room when I go.. It sounds like we will both be taking naps when we get home.. LOL..

I can't wait for the energy that you get after the surgery.. Thank you guys..

Susan

Lisa D.
on 4/30/11 11:28 am - New Orleans, LA
Hi Susan, 
  City Park has a great, fenced dog park. It has 1/4 mile walking path and all dogs are off leash.  When the Danes come I call it a dog and pony park!  It is $35 a year for up to 3 dogs per family, must be spayed or neutered.
I am not big boned!  Bones don't jiggle!         

Susan0714
on 4/30/11 12:32 pm - Kenner, LA
I love the dog park Lisa, I am a member of it.. My dogs are the ones in my avatar. Two mini schnauzers and the great dane. I like to bring them early in the morning, and then we go sometimes during the week at around 6 or so.. SInce it is getting hotter here, I like for it to be a little cooler..

Depending on when you go, we might have crossed paths..LOL.. I was thinking about that for after the surgery. Maybe a few days after, I was only worried, of the dogs running and chasing one another.. I know that when GIbson starts running he DOES NOT stop on a dime. It scares me even now at the park when Gibson runs full speed..

Great idea, thanks, I love that walkway they have there.

Susan

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 94 views