Will I lose faster on 100 grams of protein than 60 grams of protein?

onehappygirl
on 5/15/11 11:14 pm
I have been pretty stalled for last month.  Fasted one day and broke the stall.  But I think I have been short-changing myself on protein.  I have been getting 60 grams, but after reading hundreds of posts on here, finally realized there seems to be a direct correlation with upping your protein and weight loss speed.  So just in the last 3 days I have pushed myself up to 90-100 grams per day by making a super-duper fortifed protein drink in the morning that starts me off around 50 grams right away.  I seem to think that reading all the testimonials about having high weight loss over a small amount of time---that they had huge protein consumption every day.  I am 4 months out and getting in about 80 oz of fluids too.  Low carb, low calories (as low as I can be even with forcing 100 grams of protein per day.)  All meat, fish, cheese and eggs.  Thank you in advance for your advice.  I have googled nutrition and VSG and protein, yet cannot seem to find any studies about the correlation between high protein intake and VSG.  What are your own personal experiences???
Valsdetermined2lose
on 5/15/11 11:21 pm
I think that increasing your protein is a good thing, our bodies need the extra protein to get it to losing consistently and maining enough for energy. I am just now increasing my protein over the past couple of weeks and i have been losing every week with no stalls (Knock on wood) LOL i'm getting maybe 70-80 a day but i want to increase a little more just trying to figure out where im going to get it in at.
 HW-267-SW-253-CW-167 I LOVE MY SLEEVE!!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/11 11:21 pm - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
60 grams is minimum recommended protein.  I believe what you will find is, more protein = less room for extranious things, and also helps to keep you satiated for longer periods of time. 

My personal experience is/was my body functions best on higher protein/fats than it does with a moderate mix of the 3 macro nutrients.  Keep on keepin on sisttah.  We all have our various "how many calories" question too, but for me?  My program said MINIMUM of the 60 protein and cals between 600 and 800.  I *personally* kept ALL carbs to 20 max - and found out my body prefers to eat more like a DSer.

But be an experiment of one!  Not all of us process the same stuff similarly and then let us know what you find out about yourself!  I would encourage upping the protein as long as you are not overdoing your caloric needs.

Good luck!
Romy J.
on 5/16/11 12:04 am - Spring, TX
Please read my post above!!
263pre    249SW   218CW   220 short term goal!! 
Next GOAL...  199!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/16/11 12:18 am
 General rule of thumb is half a gram of protein per pound of body weight for maintenance/loss I think.  One gram per pound of bodyweight to build muscle.

Other than that sounds like you're doing well, this is an on-going process
onehappygirl
on 5/16/11 12:54 am
WOW--what great comments.  Sure seems like alot of protein.  Part of this new food arrangement is getting used to the idea we have to drown ourselves in protein every day.  I love the 1/2 gram per pound rule--that helps tremendously.  You would think there would be studies out there about WLS and SPEED of weight loss with increasing amounts of protein added in.  You know, one with a graph that has bars on it showing the direct correlation!  I am half joking, but not really, as I can see the best place to figure all this out is right here on this support group.  Thanx again. 
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/11 1:19 am, edited 5/16/11 1:20 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Too the other thing is, calorically its all going to add up, so calories matter, just like they always have.

I am at goal, have been maintaning for about a year and a half, and I lift weights, and for muscle building/retention I go for 1 g of protein per LEAN BODY WEIGHT (not total body weight) so that's 130 lbs = 130 g of protein MINIMUM a day for me.

Weirdly, I am one of the few who do have issues with my body retaining the protein that I eat from DENSE PROTEIN, so, I get at least 100 of those in easily digestible form, protein shakes - which is kinda boo, since I CAN eat that much and DO get hungry BUT You gotta do what you gotta do!  I get over 200 g per day on a typical day, food and shakes combined, but even still with me, on maintenance, with a higher calorie need for maintenance, Calories still matter! 

Good luck!! 

Edit to add, fasting or even doing the 5 day doodad (which for me is just a return to binging and purging essentially - not for everyone, but its disordered behavior for me) part of what makes the scale loss is lack of sodium, and clearing out your bowels. Depending on what you eat (if its packaged foods n setch) the sodium/water weight is coming right back, and well - as soon as you eat - your bowels have weight in them again, so - for me *and just for me* those things arent long term solutions.  Keeping on with what I know is the formula for getting me to where I want to be, not overreacting to what I *think* isnt something moving fast enough, not tweaking crap every other week so my body can get in the swing of things, these have been helpful things for me.

Just keep keeping on!  And too, MEASURE YOURSELF AND TAKE PICTURES OF YOURSELF OVER TIME IN THE SAME CLOTHES!!  You might not have *excitement* on the scale, but inches matter (dont they fellas!?) and if you see yourself in the same clothes, you can see how they hang differently and whatnot on you, where you might not just see changes with your bare eyes!

Good luck some more!
onehappygirl
on 5/16/11 2:25 am
okie dokie--I am busy processing everything you say--such pearls of wisdom from all the vets on here.   thanx again. 
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 95 views