Things to do for yourself as you enter the 3rd month--ie, the hair loss phase

onehappygirl
on 5/16/11 4:49 am
I am almost bald--have accepted it, and I know it will grow back.  Maybe will even grow back thicker and better than before.  However, since I have no control over what is happening on top of my scalp, I realized I do have control over other things.  So I am doing everything I can to improve myself in other ways while I wait out this hair loss phase.  Here is a list of things I am doing:
1.  I have restarted my glycolic acid/Retin A face cream treatments.  They give you a healthy red glow and make your face look 10 years younger in about 1 week.
2.  Going to schedule a conference with my dermatologist to see if we can remove the blotches on my face and cheeks.  Might just be some strong face peels, might be something with a laser, but it is time to look into it now.
3.  Having electrolysis on my facial hair every week now.  Got rid of beard, now working on eyebrows and mustache, and boy, do I feel better already.
4.  Keeping my nails in beautiful condition.
5.  Whitening my teeth with those white strips you can buy in any drug store.
6.  Making appt with dental hygienist to get my teeth cleaned. 
7.  Getting new earrings to accentuate my rapidly thinning face.

OK--that is about it.  It feels good to take charge over the things we do have control over.  What are you guys doing to help yourselves thru the tough times??  Let's hear what you are doing to take charge.
Susan M.
on 5/16/11 6:52 am
How much weight have you lost? I ask because I haven't lost any hair, well any more hair than my already thinning hair.  You must have lost a lot of weight...fast? 

onehappygirl
on 5/16/11 10:01 am
Hi Susan--we have almost identical surg dates--I am Jan 24th.  But I had a leak and was on jejunostomy tube feedings for 4 weeks and I have been on Rogaine for my hair loss on top of my head for the last 10 years.  In other words, I had a double whammy and knew I was going to lose my hair bigtime.  I have lost 57 pounds (from 290 down to 233).  How are you doing?  Weight loss is agonizing slow for me, prob because I am over 60 now.  But this board gives me so much hope and I find I am hanging out here alot.  Sucking up all the info.  I hope you continue to keep your hair.  Good Luck!  Today was the halfway point I had marked on my calendar (half way thru the 3 month period where I hope it all stops and starts to come back in.) 
Susan M.
on 5/16/11 11:13 am
I've lost 53 lbs so far, with 17 lbs being on the pre-op liquid diet. My hair was thinning from stress, PCOS, pre-menopause, whatever you want to blame it on :) I too have been using Rogaine and I also started Viviscal a few weeks ago.  

I like that you're doing the other things to keep your spirits up. I need to do that too. I tend to care for myself last...so codependent :)  

Hope things continue you good for you!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 81 views