Do you get hungry?

vacationlover
on 5/18/11 8:23 am
I am almost 3 weeks out, and I still tend to get hungry an hour before mealtime.  It's not a roaring hunger, more of a gurgely hunger.  After my small meal, my hunger goes away.

Do any of you still get hungry after you had surgery?  Did your hunger eventually end up going away completely?

Thanks!

CW: 130ish HW: 264 SW:254 Hgt: 5'2

Goals-Dr:159-MET Mine:140-MET!!! Final Goal: 135-MET!!!!!

W4:-22 W8:-11 W12:-10.5 W16:-12 W20:-11.5 W24:-9.5 W28:-8 W32:-7.5 W36:-8 W40:-7.5 W44:-5 W48: -4.5 1Yr/W52: -7

deljavu
on 5/18/11 8:29 am
i am only 1 week out and i am  not hungry at all. i follow my doctors diet only because i have to. but not hungry yet.

when you feel that hunger just drink water. try to stick to your meal plan.

good luck
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 8:35 am, edited 5/18/11 8:37 am - Newnan, GA
VSG on 05/04/09 with
Yes love, I have been hungry and stayed hungry. I am 2 years out this month.

But its not that panicked hunger that it was. Its a reasonable hunger satisfied with reasonable amounts of food. I am a food measurer (still) and I know its not for everyone, but I find that "full" changes depending on a lot of things - and I just am not tossing that die.

So, for me, this far out even, WHAT I eat, even combinations of what I eat decide whether hunger comes back in 3 hours, 2 hours, or in 1 hour.

Most of my meals are dense meat, with a bit o salsa and a slice o cheese.  This is not soupy or crazy moist and keeps me full up to the 3 hourish mark. 

Or with my iron I have a bit of orange or other high C fruit with 2 ounces of meat. (keep iron away from coffee/tea/eggs/dairy/calcium/whole grains for best absorption) and I will start getting hungry closer to the 2 to 2.5 hour mark

When I have a Buffalo chicken salad, 2 oz chx, 7 g blue chee, 1 ounce chopped celery, 1 t of Franks, its about the 2-1/2 hours.

Meat alone?  Fine up to the 3 hours, meat WITH anything else, transits through my stomach faster and I get hungry quicker.

Only carby stuff or only vegs, or a salad (lettuce, cuke, matery kinda salad with meat even) Zip, boom, gone.  I am hungry an hour later. 

You might find differently!  Some folks lose their hunger at 2 to 3 months. I never did but its not a deal breaker for me at all! 

**edit to add - it reminds me of hunger how it should have been all along, like a "hmmm, I'm getting hungry" but I can still keep on doing things and am not completely distracted by it until my piehole gets stuffed! Yaay!
(deactivated member)
on 5/18/11 8:55 am - CA
Head hungry, but not physically hungry. I did realize that if I wait too long to eat, I do get slightly nauseous and then it's harder to eat.
babzmcgee
on 5/18/11 9:16 am, edited 5/18/11 9:16 am
 I am 9.5 months out and I only experience what is now the new hunger feeling after I workout. Otherwise, when I think I may be hungry it usually means I need something to drink. It took a long time to figure this out. Hunger just isn't there or feel the same as it did before.
OH Support Group Leader

emelar
on 5/18/11 9:23 am - TX
Yes, I get hungry.  But, like brandilynn, it's not the panicked "I have to eat something NOW!!" hunger that I had all my life.  It's manageable and mild.  And I always start by drinking something to make sure I'm not thirsty versus hungry.  They feel the same.

One hint if you think you're getting hungry too soon - delay drinking after your meals for as long as you can.  The longer you avoid washing the food out of your stomach with liquids, the longer you keep that "full" feeling.
Kristy R.
on 5/18/11 11:13 am - Santa Clara, CA
 I'm almost 2 months out, and I do get hungry.  Not much of an appetite though.  I just eat or drink to satisfy the hunger feeling.  It is getting better, I think as my stomach adjusts.  Best wishes!
~Kristy~ VSG 3/29/11 ~ 15 pounds lost pre-op, SW - 240/GW - 150

sleeve genie
on 5/18/11 11:16 am - Alhambra, CA
Yes i get hungry,  i was really hoping to be one of the lucky one's that have to remember to eat   didn't happen.  But its nothing like it was pre op so i can live with it.   You'll do fine too  :o) jeani
      the start of my brand new life was on 5/28/10

aka  jeaniwantsasleeve!!                  

Jasonm11
on 5/18/11 11:39 am
I have been fortunate so far to not experience hunger. In fact, I have to remind myself to eat. My wife went out of town two weeks ago for the weekend and I realized when I was invited to lunch after church that I hadn't eaen since Friday at lunch or for that matter taken my vitamins. I now have set reminders to let me know when I need to eat. I really don't like this way and almost wish that I got a small hunger just to keep me eating. I do get some head hunger now and then but nothing bad. I really think alot of my lack of hunger comes from drinking so much decaf coffee.
scrappygirl8
on 5/18/11 12:20 pm
I am just over 2 weeks out and I am never hungry. I am having trouble getting in all the fluids the doctor wants me to, and I even feel sloshy after I drink them. I am still on all liquids, no foods yet for 2 more weeks.
Most Active