Carb Monster help!

Elena22
on 5/20/11 12:39 am
Today I am CRAVING, some crispy, crunchy, salty, potato chips.  I haven't had a craving this bad since surgery.  What can I eat to get rid of the craving? I'm not a sugar and sweets girl, never have been, but potato chips have always been my trigger food. HELP!
~ Elena.

felicity2u
on 5/20/11 12:47 am - LA
My new weakness, thanks to someone who introduced me to them on here, is the Blue Diamond Almonds in the Jalapeno BBQ flavor.  They are so yummy.  I eat about six or seven and it cuts my salty, crunchy cravings and they have a super low carb count.  I think they only have about 3 carbs in 28 almonds.  They have a bunch of other flavors too but haven't tried them yet! Hope this helps!

If you fear nothing, then you love nothing. If you love nothing, what joy can there be in life?
                       VSG-3/3/2011 HW-308 SW-298 CW-152 GW-160
                                                156LBS. LOST

doublewinner
on 5/20/11 2:00 am - NJ
I agree abotu the almonds. Blue Diamond recently came out with these really great flavors and can really satisfy the salty carb craving. I feel in love with the Habanero BBQ. Also a friend of mine was telling me abotu making chips out of kale. She loves them and they are harmless. She got the receipe from the show Hungry Girl.

http://www.hungry-girl.com/

10:36

furiosmommy
on 5/20/11 1:01 am - Phoenix, AZ
I know what you mean! What I like to do is get some pepperoni and cook them into "chips" at least you'll get some protein in too. The almost are a good suggestion too. If you want to try the pepperoni thing.... stack a bunch of paper towels together and lay the pepperoni in a single layer. Cover with more paper towels and cook in the microwave for about 1.5 minutes or until they are crispy. I love them, but they do give me instant heartburn, which is not as fun.

~ Nikki ~  Loving my rad new life!
VSG 1/4/2011

Lost 150lbs, gained back 50lbs.

Back on track and hope to

compete as a Powerlifter soon!!

(deactivated member)
on 5/20/11 1:31 am
You can do the same thing with salami!  I don't get heartburn from the salami chips...I also sometimes eat a few pork rinds (chiccaronis) and just 3 o4 seem to satisfy my craving for chips.  They also have protein and zero carbs if I remember correctly.
emelar
on 5/20/11 1:05 am - TX
Cheese chips.  If you have some shredded cheese at home, you can make them in a few minutes.  It's just individual mounds of shredded cheese that you can microwave, put in a skillet or in the oven to melt down and get golden brown.  Within minutes after you take them out, they harden into crispy chips of pure cheese.  Naturally salty (so don't add any salt!).  And you can experiment with flavors - garlic powder, taco seasoning, whatever - sprinkled on top before you cook them.

And, to keep on hand, go to amazon and look up the "Just the Cheese" products.  The cheese pops are great.  Get the low salt version though, cause the regular are REALLY salty.  All their products are nothing but baked cheese.  But it really satisfies the urge to crunch.

Another crunchy substitute are pork rinds.  Jus****ch the portion size 'cause they're full of fat.
Michelle F.
on 5/20/11 1:18 am
Try Soy Crisps.  I like the Glenny's lightly salted soy crisps, but they make them in all different flavors and brands, and they're loaded with protein and much lower in carbs, plus if you pair it with a little bit of cheese it will kill your hunger too. 

You could also try pork rinds, they're high in fat but no carbs and they do have some protein.  I measure out 10 small ones and eat them with some hummus or guacamole and they really do kill that crunch craving!
Karen M.
on 5/20/11 1:25 am - Rockwall, TX
DS on 12/01/14
Wasabi Peas. Someone at my support group recommended them to me and I love them. They taste like a spicy nut. I am also a chip eater and just 5 or 6 fills me up and takes away the munchies and cravings. You can find them just about anywhere. I know Wal-Mart carries them and so does Big Lots if you have those near you.

Servings Size: 1/4 cup
Calories per serving: 106
Calories from fat: 20
Total Fat: 2g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Sodium: 185 mg
Protein: 4.5g

HW:  268             SW:  268              CW:  230.02             5'5"                   48 yrs old              

brighterDayz
on 5/20/11 1:53 am
So, if I hate dry roasted edamame and I hate salted soy nuts, will I also hate wasabi peas

Are they similar in taste?

HW/Starting: 327  SW: 302 (lost 25 lbs pre-op), GW: 158

Elena22
on 5/20/11 1:57 am
Wow! Thanks everyone for the suggestions, all of which I plan on trying.  Today I had on hand some pepperoni, and the pepperoni crisp seem to be doing the trick.  I can't wait to try all of the other snack ideas!
~ Elena.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 98 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 324 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 368 views