Healthy Weightloss???

tinybus2
on 5/22/11 8:56 pm - TX
My son had gastric by-pass more than two years ago and his doctor has required him to return to his office several times duringthis time period to ensure he is healthy during his weight loss.(He has lost 167 pounds and kept it off...so proud of the total life change he has made...he has been my personal support group for my surgery) 

I understand my sleeve is a totally different surgery and was done in February but my doctor has not indicated he required blood test at all. My question; has your surgeon done blood work on you since or befoe your surgery/ Thank you for your time and response.

Down below 200 this morning...yippee!!!!
Tina

MTH
on 5/22/11 9:10 pm
My doctor ordered blood work at 1 month, 3 months, and 6 months (thats where I am at now).  Also since my vit D and B1 were low, I also have to get those checked several times in between the complete checks.
tinybus2
on 5/22/11 10:21 pm - TX
That is what I thought, it is important to make sure my counts are within the safe zone. It has been three months since my surgery and still no blood work....makes me really concerned about my surgeon; is he all about the money and not my health? Thank you so much! Have a blessed day!

ckb70
on 5/22/11 9:23 pm - Morrisville, PA
I did have blood work before my surgery and I think it's required at 3 months post op which will be in 2 months.

It's an amazing job you are doing on the weight loss...keep up the good work!

No longer a slave to hunger!                        
tinybus2
on 5/22/11 10:23 pm - TX
ckb70,
 You are doing great on your weight loss...totally WOW!!!

johnbertak
on 5/22/11 10:59 pm - MD
Having regular blood work is the only way to accurately assess the nutrition program you're on.  My primary care doc wants me to see him regularly - every 3 mos. w/a full panel of blood/urine tests and my surgeon (and dietitian who works w/him) sees those results when I visit him every 3 mos. as well.  Now that I've hit 6 mos. post-op, and my lab results are ALL NORMAL - YEAH!,  I will begin seeing both every 6 mos. along w/labs on the same schedule. 
Congratulations on your success so far; proud of you. 
Pop-Pop

USAF Wife
on 5/22/11 11:16 pm
Yep, every 3 months for the first year, then every 6 months for at least 2 more years. Annual labs every year for life, and more frequently if anything is ever 'off' so we can adjust my intake.

Band to VSG revision: June 3, 2009
SW 270lbs GW 150lbs CW Losing Pregancy Weight Maintenance goal W 125-130lbs

debk21
on 5/22/11 11:24 pm - Mansfield, TX
My doc did them before the surgery and at 5 months.  I think we'll do them again at 1 year and then annually after that.  I do take my multi, calcium & biotin daily and my panels were stellar.  YAY on going below that 200 mark...keep up the good work!

Deb

Goal Reached in 12.5 Months
HW: 274   Pre-OpW: 266   SW: 254   CW: 125  GW: 145

You must permanently change your lifestyle if you want your weight loss to be permanent. You can do it!

cattywompos
on 5/22/11 11:59 pm
Yep.  Two times before surgery, and now before every doctor visit which was at 2weeks, 6weeks, 3months, 6months and a year post op. 
 HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

mimikay
on 5/23/11 12:12 am
Every 4 months for 1st year then yearly.
  Kay       HW 219/SW 212/CW 134              
Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 284 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views