Planning ahead... Vitamins!?!

kanga003
on 5/23/11 2:07 am
Okay guys... I know there is SO much info out there and even searching back through the seach feature I was still overwhelmed so I figuerd I'd bug everyone again :-)

I would like to take as little as possible... in terms of how many itmes a day and all...

What do you reccomend for vitamins???

Thakns :-)
Brenda L.
on 5/23/11 2:44 am - Raleigh, NC
I take three Bariatric Fusion (chewable) daily and come in different flavors.
  Brendini                                                              
George B.
on 5/23/11 2:46 am - Miami, FL
Daily I take 2 Gummy Vites and 1 B-12 sublingual (both purchased at Costco). 

For the first six month post-op I was taking a Flintstone chewable but I find the Gummy Vitamins are better tolerated.

My labs (eight so far) have all been excellent with no deficiencies.

Good luck,
George

cattywompos
on 5/23/11 2:48 am

I take a regular Women's multi vitamin daily, 5 little capsules of vit D3 at that time, I would recommend getting a chewable calcium citrate because I currently have it in pill form and I have to take 6 of those little buggers and I have a hard time remembering!  I also have to start on a B12.  Not everyone has to take Vitamin D, but I think it is becoming standard to take a mulit, calcium citrate and B12.

HW-304 / SW- 286 / CW-198.25 / GW-170

johnbertak
on 5/23/11 3:02 am - MD
EASIEST VITAMIN ROUTINE EVER:
I'm 65, nearing 6+ mos.post-op, and I've lost 135 lbs.  Not too shabby for the old geezer, eh?
I'm not a pill taker, especially since getting off all of my co-morbitiy drugs almost immediately following surgery.
But I needs 'dem vitamims, so  I use the NutraMetrix multi-vitamin & calcium ****tail.  I mix it first thing in the a.m. and, because it's "isotonic" (pre-digested - which sounds gross, but isn't) the absorbtion rate is 95% so, my little 8-oz. ****tail is all I need for the entire day.  (I put 3 capfulls of Calcium w/1 capful of Multivitamin in 8 oz of water.)
I also do a single sublingual Baratric Advantage B-12 every other day.  The only other pill I take now is a baby-aspirin.

The mix is mango-citrus flavored and I think the taste is okay.  But I'm sold on the convenience(8 oz. water and 4 capfuls of the mix; stir, wait 5 min, and drink like juice) - and my lab numbers are perfect since I've been using it.  It sure beats having to remember to take a bunch of pills throughout the day.

For info on price/shipping, etc., Google nutraMetrix and Bariatric Advantage.  Not a commercial, just what's worked well for me and many others in my local support groups.   Good Luck.   
Pop-Pop

michellemj
on 5/23/11 3:47 am
As far as taking "as little as possible" you may need to rethink that. Part of having this surgery was committing to taking care of you and that means vitamins and supplements. We have smaller stomachs and don't each nearly enough to get everything we need from food. Your labs will dictate what you need but here's my schedule.

When I get up: PPI (needs to be on an empty stomach)
After breakfast (about 1.5 hrs later): 1 Centrum chewable, 1 B12, 1 B-complex, 1 biotin, 1 VitD.
2 hrs later: 1 Batriatric advantage iron chewable w. VitC (vitamin C is required for proper iron absorption). Iron MUST BE taken 2 hrs away from Calcium, caffeine, dairy, etc.
2 hrs later (and every 2 hrs later until I reach 2000mg/day): 500mg Calcium citrate + VitD.
Bedtime: 1 Centrum chewable, Probiotic, Magnesium Oxide.

It's really not hard and not that big of a deal.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Pain
michele1 · 3 replies · 77 views
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 285 views
Back - AGAIN - 14+ years post-op
Stacy160 · 4 replies · 336 views