Bread

SisterBigBone
on 5/30/11 8:48 am - Bronx, NY
How long did it take for you to tolerate bread after surgery? I've tried bread twice and it has resulted in me vomiting both times.

Also, anyone have any problems eating avocados post surgery?Everytime I try a little, I'm ready to vomit as well.

BigCaliSmile
on 5/30/11 9:16 am - La Puente, CA
I was told if you toast bread it really shouldnt be a problem. I did have a small piece of sourdough today plain no butter it was good no problem after for me
Jan in Cali,  5ft  Sw 224                       
michellemj
on 5/30/11 9:51 am
I haven't tried bread yet (I'm almost 8mo. post op) as I'm avoiding white carbs. I have had a little bit of low carb tortilla and I was fine with that. and avocado has been fine as well.

If your sleeve is giving you trouble with certain foods, avoid them for a week or two and then try to reintroduce. Personally, my sleeve doesn't like eggs so I don't eat them. I don't like to feel sick and I certainly like to avoid vomiting. You need to heal so it's best to be gentle to yourself and your new sleeve.

HW: 280; SW: 255; GW1: 150; CW: 155.

(deactivated member)
on 5/30/11 10:01 am
I don't seem to have a problem with bread and I use the 45 cal bread and will make a half sandwhich and tolerate that just fine.  I can also eat half a 10" tortilla, (low carb/wheat)  I cut avacados in half then with a butter knife I scrape out some avocado and spread it on my tortilla or what ever I am eating.  I can't hold enough to eat a chunk of it so I just try and get by with the flavor. 
Dawnie 88
on 5/30/11 10:06 am
I'm 13 mths postop and still cannot eat bread (makes me vomit).  I can toast a piece of bread and put peanut butter on it occasionally..and twice I have tried placing a hamburger bun in the toaster and using it for my burger (works ok).

Crimson
on 5/30/11 10:10 am - MD
i have had bread like/flour things since surgery. not a lot but have tried.

i accidently ate a piece of crust with my quiche, no problem
i had a vitatop and ate it with no problem
i've had 4 crackers (multi grain i believe) with no problem

i have purchased low carb garden veggie tortila's but haven't eaten them yet. i plan on cutting them into fourths, toasting them and using them as chips with my hummus
_rebecca
on 5/30/11 10:11 am - Houston, TX
VSG on 12/27/10 with
 I haven't had problems with avacodos.  I just ate too many of them and got burnt out.  Bread is very difficult for me.  I am five months out.  It swells up in my stomach and I feel sick.  I haven't thrown it up, but the fullnest I get from it makes me miserable.  A couple of times, I have eaten a little bread at restaurants when wating for my food.  The bread fills me up so much I can't eat even one bite of what I ordered.  I have to stay away!  I have tried the low carb tortillas and those are fine for me to eat.
58annie52
on 5/30/11 10:15 am
VSG on 07/13/10 with
I think I was about 5 months post-op before I could tolerate bread. I started small and it was toasted. Now I can eat almost a whole toasted honey wheat sandwich thin with peanut butter on it.
If I am eating a turkey or chicken sandwich I make my sandwich using lettuce or cheese as the top of my sandwich.
Just experiment every other week and see what your sleeve can tolerate.
 HW: AROUND 240
WEIGHT DAY OF CONSULT: 222
WEIGHT DAY OF SURGERY:196
FIRST GOAL:140REACHED!!
SECOND GOAL: 130
THIRD GOAL: MAINTAIN

walmartian
on 5/30/11 10:48 am
About 2 weeks ago I got where I could eat half of one of those 100 cal sanmdwich things or half a miniature bagel with no problem. I eat one of the 2, 100% whole wheat onl, on most days.
To me, it's plain FUNNY that I end up throwing half the package of bread away, even tho I keep it in the fridge. It just lasts too long. I'd never imagined that I would ever think "normal" for me would be eating bread at a rate that, if I ate the whole pack, would take me 2 weeks+ to eat 8 sandwich thins. I love it!

SisterBigBone
on 5/30/11 11:20 am - Bronx, NY
I tried eating half a sandwich three weeks ago. I was in a movie theater. I had to run out of the theater and vomit and poop at the same time. I was embarassed because I had no desire to do that in a public theater.

I tried eating a piece of toasted Arnold Double Protein bread toasted with a salmon burger. I instantly had to vomit.

I was a bread fanatic pre-op, and I don't plan on becoming addicted again. I just want the option of eating some bread from time to time.

Most Active